TripAdvisor

Review of Old Gatehouse

Old Gatehouse
Ranked #17 of 30 Restaurants in Kirkintilloch
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

My husband and i have been here before. We chose to come for lunch. We were seated and advised someone would be with us to take our order - they came almost 10 mins later and drinks didn't arrive for another 10 mins - it is a Saturday, however, it wasn't busy as yet - why was service so slow? The starters arrived - my soup was lukewarm - my husband enjoyed his. The main courses were lovely as were the desserts, albeit my jam roll poly was a bit dry and looked as though it had been microwaved. We do like this place, however, there's always something that let's it down

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (184)

Reviewed September 12, 2019 via mobile

We decided to give the Gatehouse a 2nd shot after our seriously disappointing 1st visit. We were pleasantly surprised this time! Staff were friendly and efficient and our meals were really pretty good and good value. Half rotisserie chicken was moist and tasty;rotisserie chicken tacos were spicy and fresh with guacamole, salsa and herbs but they needed thin fries or a salad rather than the chunky oven chips they came with. Burger was fine. My daughter ate off the very carb-heavy kids menu but she enjoyed a cute wee portion of nachos and tomato pasta. Desserts were really carefully presented. The interior is still soulless and seriously lacks atmosphere but we were impressed with the cooking and service this time in comparison with our last experience here.

Date of visit: September 2019
Reviewed August 31, 2019 via mobile

Visited a few times and each time I remember why it’s not my favourite place to eat in Lenzie!
We had lunch and was really disappointed with how bland and over fried the food was. Decided on the tapas type food. No Halloumi fries but didn’t tell us that when we sat down. Cut into the deep fried mushrooms to a pool of water/oil, the hunter chicken bites was missing any chicken inside or maybe had been deep fried for so long it had oozed out and the roasted beetroot was tasteless and in no way had it ever seen a roasting tin!! The chicken satay was the only saving grace. Don’t think I’ll be back again.

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed August 20, 2019

Went for first time on Sunday with my son .really nice young lad served us didnt wait too long for drinks or meal it was busy the steak my boy got was excellent and lovely presentation i had carbonara which was nice but wasnt made with fresh cream and could have done with a bit more garlic was still nice though il be back more often but il take the steak next time x

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed August 6, 2019 via mobile

Decided to stop in as my husband had passed it a few times. We decided to take our little one for lunch. Was absolutely delicious. The service was amazing too. Well recommended wi definitely be back. I had the lasagne which was a great portion and tasted amazing.

Date of visit: August 2019