“A safe haven in a storm! We left satiated after a long hunt for food!!x”
Review of Furama Gardens

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Furama Gardens
Ranked #73 of 100 Restaurants in Kilmarnock
Cuisines: Chinese
Darvel, Scotland, United Kingdom
“A safe haven in a storm! We left satiated after a long hunt for food!!x”
Reviewed December 18, 2012

We, myself, hubby, baby, son and nephew were famished after a Christmas shopping day out in Glasgow..... Saturday night 15th December - couldn't find anywhere in Glasgow that could take us and after getting the train and trying several places in Kilmarnock that were fully booked or were not willing to take kids, finding this wee haven of tranquility was a godsend. For that reason I may have overrated them by others standards.... but they were brilliant when we needed them.

From the outside it looks uninviting, and when you get upstairs to the restaurant (I went by lift with the buggy, would have been much quicker to carry it up but well done them for having the option) its a bit bright and huge, but the staff are as warm and welcoming as you get. On the night we were there it was relatively quiet... again a godsend, but at Christmas I am sure everyone was everywhere else but the buffet Chinese Restaurant.

The food was pretty much what you would expect.... which is really what we wanted... comfort food, freshly cooked, and as much as you want. Not a huge buffet fan, but the boys loved it and my nephew must have devoured a whole duck to himself! Letting boys loose on a buffet is interesting - lord of the flies springs to mind .. social etiquette out the window?!

They weren't impressed by the puddings, neither was hubby, not a pudding fan myself. I initially wasn't impressed that they charged for the baby as usually I give her off off our plates, but she really enjoyed it, so when I think about it, fine with that, and they are honest that they charge half for children under 10.

If you want comfort food and to know that you will get a table and can relax and enjoy without pressure, with attentive staff. Go enjoy. If you are looking for clever cuisine. Go elsewhere.

• Visited December 2012