“Delicious Christmas Lunch”

The Glasshouse at Rowallan Castle Golf Club
Ranked #10 of 109 Restaurants in Kilmarnock
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Set in the beautiful and historical grounds of Rowallan Castle, the Glasshouse Restaurant we are working very hard to make the Glasshouse Restaurant a "must go" destination in Ayrshire. Offering a high range of innovative and classic dishes on our Menu, you can be guaranteed that each dish served has been freshly prepared with the best of local produce. We are also available for Private Function Hire.
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Delicious Christmas lunch (Amazon local deal) followed by a most interesting tour of the castle. Very courteous staff, excellent.

2  Thank PollyAyrshire

Reviewed December 8, 2013

Beautiful setting - driving through the grounds is a fabulous experience. Since the change in management the welcome is genuine & warm, the chairs comfy, and the menu has plenty to choose from. They have fixed all the roof leaks & even invested in some very fancy tower flame heaters for evening dining. The quality of the food is impressive (a huge change from previous offerings) and the menu changes frequently. As a result we now eat here regularly, and look forward to every meal.

This week we had the venison as our main and it was by far the best cooked venison I've had in years. The fruity sauce was a perfect accompaniment and the fondant potato perfectly cooked (how many times do lesser restaurants do THIS badly...).

So if you visited some time back & were disappointed, I urge you to give the new team a go. Their chef & head waiter are a great combination and a delicious meal awaits you!!

PS They do lunches every day, dinners on a Thur-Sun only.

3  Thank Catriona F
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Went for afternoon tea after obtaining Groupon voucher. Surroundings really special. Restaurant is within the clubhouse of the golf course and well maintained. My wife and I shown to table for 4 . Were served throughout by 2 young males who were extremely smart, polite and helpful.
Got our tea/ coffee as we sat down and waited a few minutes to get the sandwiches, scones and cakes that were off a good quality and freshly made. Really enjoyed and do not understand why people are so negative especially when they only pay a few pounds. Obviously not caviar but good ham, cheese etc and couple of heated quiches. I have a previous review for afternoon tea at Burj Al Arab in Dubai where it had about 7 courses including fillet steak but I paid over £84 per person not the £6 person I paid at the Glasshouse.
As I only paid a few pounds and found the tea excellent value I left the two waiters a really good tip , for me at least. Two other couples that left just before us and had used the same vouchers left not a penny.

1  Thank JC154
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Visited with my family for afternoon tea on a Saturday afternoon. The Glasshouse was not busy, yet it took 45mins for our food to be presented. Had it been worth the wait, perhaps the delay could've been overlooked. However, the presentation of the sandwiches was dreadful and not at all appetising. We were almost impressed at how simple sandwiches could have been made so badly! The scones were the only acceptable offering but were spoiled by having too much raspberry jam. It would be better to provide jam in a small container for diners - saves having to scrape off the surplus. The two varieties of tiny cake were unremarkable.
The quality of the food combined with cutlery and china that should have been cleaner, means we will not return. The service was totally lacklustre and sadly leaves us with nothing, other than the Glasshouse's location, to recommend.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

My wife and I went for afternoon tea today, firstly the hot chocolate was not hot and had to be sent back even after that it was warm at best, I asked for a coke but got a diet coke when I took this back I was told there was no cans only draught coke I took one and it was all soda and no syrup so this also went back.

The afternoon tea then arrived which was very good nice sandwiches and cakes no complaints, half way through the waitress came up and asked if I wanted a bottle of coke !!.

The table next to us got tea cups and no pot of tea until they went to ask for it also there was another table that cancelled some meals as they had been waiting so long some of there party had to leave.

More attention to detail and much better service required, the 2 staff members were very pleasant and very young so possibly a more experience hand is required.