“Lovely surroundings - very average meal”

The Glasshouse at Rowallan Castle Golf Club
Ranked #8 of 104 Restaurants in Kilmarnock
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Set in the beautiful and historical grounds of Rowallan Castle, the Glasshouse Restaurant we are working very hard to make the Glasshouse Restaurant a "must go" destination in Ayrshire. Offering a high range of innovative and classic dishes on our Menu, you can be guaranteed that each dish served has been freshly prepared with the best of local produce. We are also available for Private Function Hire.
Reviewed May 3, 2013

The drive to and the location of the restaurant is lovely and would be even better if we're not raining. The service was good although one of our guests had to wait almost five minutes for the main course to arrive after everyone was served. My partner order a steak which was well done although had been ordered medium. I had the red snapper which was also over cooked and had not been filleted properly. On a Friday night at 8pm there were only four tables which I believe says a lot. This restaurant has enormous potential, however at the moment i feel it is being let down by a poor kitchen!

Reviewed May 3, 2013

Visited the glasshouse restaurant on Friday night, new menu and new chefs. Very nice settings, the drive up to the restaurant is absolutely lovely. If you like a nice walk I would suggest you park just inside the gatehouse and stroll up to the restaurant.

Staff/service was good, food was fresh and hot, tasted very nice.

All in all a very pleasant evening and I would thoroughly recommend a visit.

2  Thank Alan K
Reviewed April 28, 2013

First visit yesterday to this restaurant having heard rave reviews on Facebook and verbally. Disappointing that by 7pm on a Saturday they had no lager on draught as ran out! Chefs very accommodating for my dietary requirements and I was assured as it wasn't too busy they could tailor anything for me on the menu. Seated at 730pm and main courses came by 9pm. Very slow service and meals cold, albeit quite tasty. I tried to comment twice on their Facebook page which was deleted. I can now understand why I saw such good reviews on Facebook! Because they delete the honest critical ones. The owners were in with some guests and they appeared to get drinks and food long before us. I did get an apology and 5% discount but still I won't be back. Any restaurant not willing to listen to criticism and seek to improve will not get my business in future. Finished off waiting 20 mins for the bill as the till was broken so needed manually done. Very disappointing especially as there was only 5 tables in and 3 chefs in kitchen and 3 waiting staff so not at all short staffed. Such a pity given the hype but if you delete anything other than hype, it's a higher distance for the publics expectations to fall.

2  Thank CarolW1603
Christine C, Manager at The Glasshouse at Rowallan Castle Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

I am sorry your visit to The Glasshouse Restaurant on Saturday was disappointing. I am, pleased, however that our chefs catered for your dietary requirements and that staff made an apology and applied a discount.

Our Operations Manager has previously requested you to contact her and has provided an e-mail address in an attempt to rectify the matter.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

The food was good but disappointing that some items on the menu were not available. It was also disappointing that the restuarant had no champagne.

1  Thank Jim D
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Played golf during the day with friends followed by a meal in the Glasshouse. Brilliant meal and great service. Would definitely recommend for a round of golf and/or lunch or dinner.

2  Thank RobbieLeburn