3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Longhouse

The Longhouse
Ranked #7 of 98 Restaurants in Kilmarnock
Cuisines: British, Scottish
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Business meetings, Kids, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Mauchline
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

Was really looking forward to a late, child free supper here as I like other restaurants in this group. Was unfortunately disappointed. Starters were very small and my salad leaves looked tired (we were eating at 8.30pm) had burger for main course. Everything was very greasy, even the role the burger was in. Also onion rings and chips tasted of fish. We have a family member highly allergic to fish and this would have caused issues for him as the items must have been cooked in the same oil. Explained to waiter who was gracious about it but did nothing to suggest that this would be looked at in future and assured us that items were cooked in different oils. They most certainly were not. Found it poor value for money.

The restaurant itself is very nice, staff friendly but food lets it down badly. Big letdown for us.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014

My family are regular diners within Buzzworks restaurants, especially in Ayr and Kilmarnock. We visited on Father's Day and was not disappointed. Menu was very good with lots of variety, very tasty too. Only downside was that I tried to amend my table online to add and extra seat, which was denied, however when we arrived some tables were empty and clearly an extra person could have been added in. Apart from that, we had a really enjoyable lunch. Staff were all very friendly.

kilmarnock
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not what it was”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

I visit a lot with friends, and don't get me wrong its okay, but its usually a bit of a last resort for us now. Management team used to be much better, staff aren't as efficient as they were and the food isn't on par with other restaurants in the area (for example, chicken and peppers tossed in a heated up bottled sweet chilli sauce are NOT fajitas) a lovely place to sit and have cocktails, beautifully decortated, but there are better places to go.

1 Thank kilmarnockdiner
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2014

The surroundings and decor of the longhouse are lovely, comforting and welcoming. However food does not live up to standard and price tag. My first visit to the restaurant me and my partner both ordered a steak medium/rare steak was over cooked onion rings were soggy, On my second visit I thought I would try the seafood, I ordered salt and chilli sea bass. Fish was completely under seasoned and tasted more like a microwave meal rather a freshly prepared piece of sea bass. On a positive note waiting staff were very professional and friendly

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Krobbo1735
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
“Average food, less than average service!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

We booked a table for lunch at the Longhouse last Sunday as the couple we were meeting are big fans of Buzzworks restaurants, particularly Elliot's in Prestwick - I think they may also have a loyalty-type card. The restaurant was busy but not overly so and there appeared to be enough available tables for 'walk ins' as well. The menu is varied and a good mix of the usual pub-type fare. The starter of black pudding, bacon and poached egg was good but not exceptional, the bacon seemed better quality than the 'average' black pudding which was definitely lacking in spice. The white wine sauce accompanying the main course of salmon was flavoursome enough but again what should have been the star of the show was overcooked, dry and hard on the top. Other main courses of roast beef appeared to be a much better option. A tip for waiting staff would be to encourage them to wait for a response when asking customers if the meal is ok! After coffee we were informed they needed our table back in 5 minutes - there was no mention of this when we booked nor as we were seated at our table - and after a brusque comment a few minutes later that diners were waiting for the table we went outside to put a future date to meet in our diaries - and it certainly won't be at the Longhouse!

1 Thank Aileen H