“Always Good Food”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Party: 2 adults
Cost: £30 for 2 starters/mains, 2 soft drinks & 2 glasses of wine.

I've eaten in here on and off for nearly 20 years and have yet to experience bad service or poor food so am surprised by some of the negative reviews.

I last ate here on Sunday 03 November and left, as usual, satisfied with both food and service. and up and with a smile on my face.

Recommendations would be between cullen skink soup, tempura fish, pate, haggis, neeps and tatties with their signature whiskey cream sauce, followed by mains of chicken breast with leek sauce, roast of the day (with some of the tenderest beef I have ever tasted), salmon fillet, duck breast etc. I could go on but I would be hard pressed to advise anything not to order as all the food is excellent. Portion sizes are plentiful and you may have trouble finishing two full courses never mind three.

On top of that, they even make sure the plate is warm (roasting actually) which is a bonus to this reviewed as I cannot abide restaurants that serve hot food on cold plates. Drinks are reasonably priced and the 2 course early bird dinner, up to 4pm is a bargain at £12.

Service is very friendly and quick although we usually visit late lunch/early dinner so perhaps it may be slower at night if there are the same number of staff. You can eat ain the small, cosy bar, lounge with coal fire for those chilly nights or in the restaurant. There is also a garden area for those rare sunny days.

Not the easiest place to find if you don't have a car but definitely worth a trip if you are in the vicinity of the M77, Kilmarnock or Aryshire.

There are newer reviews for The Wheatsheaf Inn

Reviewed October 20, 2013

We took 2 friends there for lunch today and both opted for roast beef and Yorkshire pudding. Both then said there was a "diesel like taste" from the Yorkshire pudding. They complained to the waitress who said she would speak to the chef about them. She did and came back to us and said he "agreed there was a unusual taste from them and M was looking in it and it was currently under investigation." We didn't hear anything else until we were paying the bill to M.I spoke to M and said we were disappointed about the diesel tasting Yorkshire puddings. M said he thought they were fine. Then the waitress appeared and she reminded M he had earlier agreed "they tasted funny" He said "its just one of these things." So beware folks. If you complain, even if they agree with you, you will be told its just one of these things and charged full price. Very embarrassing, especially in front of our friends. Like many other reviewers I would say that some customer service training, and honesty, would not go amiss.

3  Thank angelaliggat
Reviewed October 10, 2013

went here with friends for lunch food was great and plentiful with many choices but table sevice was very poor nice decor and spotless toilets but a few more staff would not go a miss

2  Thank alan w
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Having been here a few times, we decided to go for dinner. We phoned and booked a table at 6pm. We arrived and was seated quickly, had to ask for them to bring a child's menu and waited five mins. Had to ask if someone could take our order 20minutes later (although they were quick to take our drinks order). Then we waited, and waited. I had to ask where our starters were, the waitress rushed away then came back out and said they were just coming as they had been really busy, I asked for bread for our son which was no bother and came straight out as by this time he was very hungry and fed up. Starters arrived 5mins later with my sons chips (they brought his out with the starter) brick hard and well cooked. My tempura was greasy and overlooked, my husbands soup needed a lot of
seasoning.

Then we waited, ordered more drinks and they came quickly of course. Then I asked who I assumed was the manager if they would be much longer. Reply was no just coming, I said we have been in since 6pm (time was now 7.30pm) His reply was we have been really busy, I said why take our booking then when we phoned as this was ridiculous we had been in since 6pm. His reply was 'sorry'. I was very annoyed as I expected to be home by then with my son in bed! Anyway the meals eventually came, everyone enjoyed them. My brother asked for tomato sauce which never appeared. We asked for the bill which fortunately came quickly, it was £81 for the 4 of us children eat free. I thought they may have taken off some drinks (just soft drinks we had) to be honest because of the wait but no. They did apologise again as we left but I'm afraid we won't be returning in a hurry nor would I recommend.

2  Thank Kazzachick
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We enjoyed a good meal plenty of choice and good portion size. Service was slow and not friendly the waitress called everyone darling ! We sat for ages after asking for the bill I recommend you just go up to the bar and pay as this is what you end up doing I recommend you book as there are not many tables.

1  Thank Jean C