“Great day out for all ages.....and FREE!”

Dean Castle and Country Park
Ranked #1 of 24 things to do in Kilmarnock
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Dean Castle Country Park is an excellent free day out for all the family. The Country Park boasts a 14th century castle and beautiful woodland walks. The Country Park is midway through a project to upgrade its rural life centre, play park and visitor centre; these will reopen in autumn 2017
West Kilbride, United Kingdom
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Great day out for all ages.....and FREE!”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I went to Dean Castle and Country park with my family for the first time yesterday [13th July 2013] What a wonderful experience for us all. There is ample car parking which is easily accessed, lovely walks through the gardens and woods which my dog enjoyed, a great visitor centre where you can get food if required. As we took a picnic lunch we used one of the many picnic tables in the grounds which was lovely. There are many children facilities within the park including a petting zoo and deer. For me though the guided tour of the Castle and Palace was a highlight. Norman our guide was great, very informative and helpful, what a lovely way to spend an hour. I would recommend this park and the Castle tour especially, my only sadness would be that the tour it is unsuitable for people with impaired mobility. I would lastly add that this facility is free which in todays world is quite amazing. If you are looking for a great day out, take a picnic and visit Dean Castle and Country park you will not be disappointed.

Visited July 2013

West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Best Day Out In Ages, Must TRY:”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

This place is one of those little gems we happened to just stumble upon. We are so glad we did because if is one of the best places I have ever been to and I will be going back many times while I live in Glasgow. It is ALL FREE!!!! When you park your ca your greeted by young deer in an enclosure, You enter the large grounds and there is something to see in every corner. A petting zoo, a sensory garden, a picnic area, two large play areas for the kids, stables with donkeys, pigs, lamas, goats, birds, guinea pigs, and more. A maze, a nature trail, a gorgeous burn, the castle itself and thee most incredible Armoury. It has the most incredible display of armour but best of all there is a fancy dress area for kids of all ages including kids thrones and armour you get to try on. You actually get to try on gauntlets, chainmale,hats, swords, sheilds, you name it. It's unbelievable. The boys (including my husband) had so much fun trying it on. And it's all free. My only negative draw back is we couldn't buy snacks and gifts because they only take cash only and being a Kiwi I don't carry cash. There were a few of us who had to turn back at the door of the Cafe and Shops because of the sign that says 'No Debit or Credit Cards' which I imagine will lose them a fair bit of service.

“Excellent”
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

I love this park and have used it for years. Great free thing to do with good walks and things for the kids!

Cedar Bluff, Virginia, United States
“Beautiful”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

My maiden name is Boyd, so of course I wanted to tour Dean Castle. Extremely disappointed in was closed for repairs. Did tour the grounds and had a lovely day with my children.

Bishopton, United Kingdom
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Excellent Castle and Country Park”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

The Dean Castle and Country Park is an excellent day out. There are many routes through the Country Park and a map can be collected at the Visitor Centre. It would be helpful if there were far more marker posts on the various path routes. The guided tour of Dean Castle was very informative and "brought the castle to life". Excellent free day out. The on-site cafe at the Visitor's Centre provided tasty baked potatoes.