“Why had we waited so long?”
Review of The Canny Man

The Canny Man
Ranked #7 of 100 Restaurants in Kilmarnock
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Known for years as The Paraffin Lamp, this popular pub and restaurant has been extensively refurbished and relaunched as The Canny Man. Situated in Lugton, near Kilmarnock in Ayreshire, it is fast becoming a local favourite thanks to the welcoming atmosphere and friendly staff. The interior is a seamless blend of old and new, complete with traditional stone walls, wooden furniture, and modern patterned wallpaper. Head Chef Scott Neilson has put together a classic British menu, with some continental influences, and this is complemented by daily specials. With tasty steaks, oven-baked pizzas and some excellent fish dishes on offer, you'll be spoilt for choice. For lazy lunches,coffee and cakes by the log fire,mid-week dinners and Sunday lunch with the family.
Paisley, Scotland
“Why had we waited so long?”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I last visited this restaurant when it was the Paraffin Lamp many many years ago. My wife and I took relatives with us for a meal last Friday evening and arrived at 7pm. We were unaware that a Pre-theatre menu was available. (Two and three courses were very keenly priced and a wide selection). The meal was excellent, the staff very friendly, attentive and welcoming and the restaurant had a lovely atmosphere. As it is only a short drive from Paisley with ample parking in future we will go there rather than travel into Glasgow.

• Visited February 2013

“AMAZING!”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We visited the Cannyman (previously known as the Parrifin Lamp) last night for dinner. 7/2/12.
We felt the service was great! It was very busy and I thought this added to an already lovely atmoshphere.
Food arrived at the table quickly and looking very sharp! On finishing my starter my main course was on the table looking tasty and it tasted even better!
The pudding had a chocolate design on the plate that my wife loved!!!
All in all a great meal and a great experience will definetly be back!

Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A very high standard”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

As regular diners here,I can say that we have never had a poor course never mind meal.The staff are quick and cheerful

Visited February 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“First Class Restaurant with Great Live traditional Music”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

This restaurant has changed its name and owners many times since I was a wee girl. What a pleasant surprise I had when me, my husband and his uncle visited last Sunday for lunch. The staff were so helpful from the word go. Lunch itself was superb. The two gents had salmon which they declared was delicious with an ample side dish of French fries. I had ham salad which was beautifully presented with the plate full of fresh salad ingredients and coleslaw plus a really tasty dressing over the lettuce. Alas the snow came on pretty heavily and we made to leave just as the musicians were beginning their session. I will definitely be going back to this restaurant.

• Visited January 2013
Linlithgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Excellent Food / Reasonable Prices”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stopped off here on during business visits in the Lugton Area. I was extremely surprised bt the quality of the food! For a pub / restuarant stuck out in the country side, the quality is more reminiscent of a high quality resturant inb the city.
The service from the staff is excellent too. As we sat down the waitress asked us if we needed the blinds closed due to the sun streamng through the window. At the time we said no, but later it became a problem. I just commented on the fact and one of the staff immediatley took care of it. Nothing seems to much of a task...
I had a Chicken Strogonff served with rice and side salad and it was excellent and totally filling - all for just £9.50. The range of food is massive.
For me it is a definite stop off point for lunch if I am in the area again.

• Visited January 2013