“So cold then the food......”
Review of Rama Thai

Rama Thai
Ranked #56 of 386 Restaurants in Dundee
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: excellent food Rama Thai
Reviewed November 23, 2013

I joined a party of 6 for a graduation supper at the Rama. We had a table booked for 5pm and we where the first in the resturant. The heating was not on (it was freezing outside and inside!) so we asked for it to be turned on....it was, but took a time to heat up. The service was good but some of the food on arrival left a lot to be desired....my wife and I had Thai fish cakes and the were very chewy with little fish taste what so ever....very poor. The rest of the group mainly chose some sort of prawn starter and there were no complaints. All the main courses where ok but my wife choose sizzling steak which was a but chewy......all in all it was ok but open to improvement.....make sure the heating is on before customers arrive and look at your Thai fish cakes......they are not pleasant what so ever.

There are newer reviews for Rama Thai

Reviewed November 22, 2013

Not excellent but pretty good and I would visit again.Like many not quite sure if its authentic Thai
but it got the taste buds going.Service was friendly and prompt

Reviewed November 18, 2013

We had been visiting Dundee with friends and as not familiar with the area we had tried another restaurant that was fully booked and had been advised to try Rama.

No complaints at all. Walked in and got a table for 6, on sitting down we were served with drinks and given time to look over the large menu of traditional dishes. Staff friendly and polite.

Food was superb we all had different starters and mains no one had any complaints. Great meal and good value!

Would love to go back

Reviewed November 15, 2013

It's hard to write a review of Rama Thai as I have been about four times in total; the first three visits being so delicious that it instantly became my Number One favourite restuarant in Dundee, and the final fourth visit being so disappointing that I haven't actually went back since.

Usually, the food is amazing! One of the only restuarants where I let myself get starters, mains and sides, just because it's so delicious. I will usually get vegetable spring rolls or something similar as a starter; always lovely, with a gorgeous sauce. Then I tend to go for a chili-based or sweet and sour main with jasmine or coconut rice. On most of my visits, I have just been blown away by the mains and rice side dishes. They have been so amazingly good that I have been desperate to go back as soon as I've left. There's a Thai Restuarant in St. Andrews (Nahm-Jim) which has previously been my favourite Thai, this restuarant actually won Gordon Ramsay's best restuarant for the Thai section, but after coming to Rama Thai I felt that the food was even better.

Food has always come very quickly, never had to wait, the staff are SO lovely I cannot fault them. Seems to be a family-run buisness and the staff are so welcoming that it feels like you are in their own home. The decor is beautiful, I would live in this place. And they have small touches put in that make all the difference, for example, the food is served in the most gorgeous little individual blue and white porcelain bowls, which I love!

However, it is pretty expensive. If the food is at the standard that I have usually experinced, I think this is acceptable as the price reflects the standard of service and quality of food that you will recieve. BUT I have had one bad experience of Rama Thai which has put me off!

I went for my birthday last year as I loved it so much, it was the only place I wanted to go, and I was so disappointed. The food was too sweet and sickly, there was something not right about it as I got the same dish that I usually did, and it was nowhere near as good as usual. It was quite quiet on the day that I went, and we recieved our food about 5 or 10 minutes after ordering. I just didn't enjoy the meal, and neither did anyone else who was with me. They were pretty disappointed due to them having not been before, and were very shocked at the price compared with the quality of food.

I will go back, and hopefully it will live up to the standards which it originally set, and I will always still recommend Rama Thai to my friends and family as it clearly has the ptential to be one of the best restuarants in Dundee!

Reviewed November 14, 2013

Everything about the restaurant is great: food, atmosphere, location and price.

The starters are just the right size - I know some places bag you up with starters so much that you can't manage your main, but it really was just an appetiser. Tried the sweet and sour pork and the cashew chicken, with sticky rice: amazing!

The staff were very welcoming and the interior of the restaurant is beautiful - there are very intricate details on the tables and chairs, even the cutlery.

We went on a Monday night so I thought it'd be dead, but it was actually very busy. So if I were to go on a Friday or Saturday I'd definitely book ahead!

I'd never tried Thai food before but after eating here it's a firm favourite now!