“Quiet Lunch”
Review of Bon Appetite - CLOSED

Bon Appetite
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Please see website for restaurant: ww.bonappetit-dundee.com
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Dined here one Tuesday lunch with my wife, children and mother in law it was an excellent bistro lunch mussels & creme brulee both worth a special mention.

Our kids where well looked after, owner was friendly and patient with kids which was appreciated.

Good food, value and warm host

Reviewed December 23, 2012

I can't believe this restaurant is only rated 25th out of al the restaurants in Dundee! I would put it 4th (after the Blue Marlin, Playwright, and Dil Se).

The location is right in Dundee city centre, and the ambience is very authentic French bistro. They do set lunches and dinners, as well as an a la carte dinner menu. Service is truly excellent. The wine list is OK; they sell champagne by the glass, but I would like to see a glass of merlot offered on the menu.

The difficult bit which lets it down just a little is the food. For the price, I do think it lacks that final something that makes it a bit special. However, I'm hard pressed to what that little something is. I admit that I'm a bit hampered by being limited to the gluten-free menu, and although the items that are gluten-free are clearly marked on the menu, there aren't that many of them. All of the interesting items contain gluten.

So I had the hot smoked salmon, which was OK, but as I've said, missing something. Perhaps the flavour of the salmon wasn't that strong. Perhaps the garnish wasn't strong enough. I would have preferred more pickle and no leaves. Then I had the steak and chips. The steak was cooked properly, but wasn't seared and scorched enough to give it a really intense flavour.

The person I was eating with had the vegetarian option. She didn't enjoy hers as much I liked mine; she said it was very heavy on carbs, and missed a sauce or a green vegetable. Hers did look very brown.

But these are minor quibbles. I recommend this restaurant, and hope people continue to support it. Dundee needs places like this.

Reviewed November 28, 2012 via mobile

Very impressed by this restaurant . Food was amazing . I had the chicken with haggis and apple which was delightful , my friend had the lamb which he said was amazing . Service perfect ! Thanks John . Definitely b back ! A treat to have a restaurant like that in Dundee :)

1  Thank sarah1982_11
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We were really looking forward to going to this restaurant as Dundee lacks a decent French cuisine restaurant. It still lacks one. The food was basic, poorly prepared and gave the impression of having come out of a microwave. It was far too expensive for what was served. Once may have been an aberration. Twice means we won't be going back.

1  Thank theweeflea
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We went here to celebrate our Silver wedding with family,what a lovely cosy, friendly restaurant, food was excellent
and great value for money. It was hard to choose from the menu as everything looked so delicious. The portions were just the right not too big.Would throughly recommend this restaurant.