“Good, clean and basic accommodation.”
Review of West Park

West Park
Ranked #25 of 28 Hotels in Dundee
Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

Recently stayed as part of a conference held in Dundee. The rooms are basic but were clean and tidy. Food was provided as part of the stay and was surprisingly good. Fantastic value for money for a short visit.

• Stayed: June 2013
Christine M, General Manager at West Park, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. I am glad you enjoyed your stay during the conference. West Park is known for its great food! Everything is handmade by our team of chefs (including the conference cookies you will have had). We use natural, ingredients from local suppliers. Visit us again if you are staying on vacation in Dundee!

Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

I chose west park because it was cheaper than the Apex my basketball team mates were staying in. I was in Dundee for the British Masters basketball tournament and wanted to save money on accomodation and at £36 a night it was all I could ask for. I stayed in the flats that had security on three levels, one to get into the building, one to get into the corridoor and one for my room, that comprises of a single bed, shower, sink, toilet, small tv, coffee making facilities, fresh towels and storage. There are family rooms available in the main hotel at a higher cost.

Breakfast was served between 7 and 9 sat and 8 to 10 Sunday, the usual cooked breakfast of egg, bacon etc and a choice of cereal and fresh fruit and yoghurts and toast with coffee or tea.

Staff were very friendly and helpful and it's only a 30 second walk from the flats to the main hotel where breakfast is served.

Taxi into the centre of Dundee was around a fiver or a 25 minute walk. I'm a fast walker.

There is a conference centre on the grounds so be aware there may be something else going on. I was treated to bag pipes one evening as a wedding took place.

If you want to save costs on accomodation but enjoy the sights of Dundee, I recommend West Park.

• Stayed: June 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such an informative review on Trip Advisor! I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay. We had many guests participating in the Basketball tournament at that time and we received wonderful comments from them also. We look forward to you visiting again.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed here for 5 days and found it a great location. We walked into Dundee most days. The staff were helpful. The accommodation was clean, comfortable and bright as large windows. The shower room was clean and done what it needed to. There was a TV and coffee making facilities in the room. As a student residence they had a launderette on site which was very useful. Did not try the breakfast.

Only negative was that the double bed had one side against the wall so you both had to get out the same side and not the most comfortable of beds but would not stop me booking again.

It was great value and would definitely stay again

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Christine M, General Manager at West Park, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and appreciated the facilities. We look forward to you visiting again, why not pop in to the Mansion House for your breakfast next time.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

I stayed here only one night but my experience was a pretty good one. The room was very clean, with quite a bit of space and a television. It was better than some other students residences I've stayed in.The ladies on reception were very helpful. It was a good location for me as I had a job interview further down the road, so didn't have far to go after the interview. Buses into town are fairly frequent and it's only a 10 minute journey into the centre of Dundee. The only negative experience I had with the place was that the morning I was leaving, around 9am, housekeeping unlocked my door and tried to come in, without knocking first. I was in the bathroom and hadn't dressed yet, so I shouted "Hello" and they went back out again. As I was leaving, the lady from housekeeping, who was hoovering the corridor outside my room, apologised for opening the door, which was something, at least. I didn't use any of the amenities there but I liked the grounds. It was very green, in a lovely setting.

Room Tip: Rooms in Flats 1 to 8 are surprisingly quiet, considering they're the nearest flats to the road.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Christine M, General Manager at West Park, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to place a review regarding your recent stay at West Park. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and found the rooms, gardens and location to be ideal for you and thank you for your comments regarding our Reception team. I apologise regarding housekeeping on the last morning as that is not our normal practice.
Thank you again for your review, your feedback is important for us.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

We only stayed for 1 night, the rooms were clean and comfortable with TV and tea & coffee making facilities. The staff were pleasant but the breakfast was the worst I have ever eaten. The Location was good.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay ay West Park and thank you for your positive comments regarding the rooms and housekeeping. I believe that we have tried to make contact with you to discuss your comments regarding breakfast. Should you wish to discuss this further, please can you contact Gail Riley, Deputy Manager .
Thanks you again for taking the time to place a review, your feedback is important to us

Reviewed August 7, 2012

Although I have to first of all point out that the rooms are very clean and tidy and adequate I cannot recommend a stay here unless you are prepared for loads of noisy students every night.
First thing to be wary of is when booking..It says on the website that no payment is required until arrival or departure and that card details are required "only" to confirm booking....incorrect!!....my account had the full amount removed the day after booking...!...I e.mailed the place and got an e.mail back an hour later to tell me that the sales team would get back to me soon.....I'm now halfway through my stay ( 1 week after mailing them) and I have still to get a response .
The room that I am staying in is excellent but I was led to believe that I was staying here during the summer when no students would be here....again incorrect.......Sunday night I had about 20 foreign students outside my window till nearly midnight making it very difficult to get some sleep due to the noise they made...Monday night there was a "noisy" live band coming from the next block which again prevented sleep till after 11......Tuesday and I have hardly been away from my window to check my car as there are again about 20-30 students playing football in between the cars.....so far they have managed to hit a parked Mercedes 3 times so if you have a black Mercedes in the car park on 7 aug 2012 and it's damaged when you check it in the morning , this is why..!!
Summing up I would have to say that although the rooms are excellent don't stay here if you want to sleep at night and remember that payment will come out your account instantly even though the website claims it doesn't.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank rwk40

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay at West Park. I understand that one of our Manager's has been in touch with you already and has discussed your review. I am sorry if you found some of the other guests were noisy, we did have quieter rooms available at the back of the property but we were not aware of this whilst you were staying with us. As discussed, we do have a strict policy regarding e-mail response and this was met although unfortunately it appears that you didn't receive our e-mail. Certain promotions do have different payment terms attached to them and this was the case in your booking.
Thank you again for taking the time to place a review, your feedback is important to us.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

My wife and I stayed at West Park for three nights, having been unable to find accommodation within our budget in St Andrews. The room was basic, but clean and comfortable, with TV and tea & coffee-making facilities and plenty of storage space. The module-type toilet/shower room was fine, although the ventilator could have been a little more efficient. As our room was adjacent to the main road, it was a little noisy in the morning with the window open. The reception and breakfast room staff were very friendly and obliging and the buffet breakfast more than adequate. We did not try the cooked breakfast, but other guests seemed to be happy with it. All in all, we would have no hesitation in recommending West Park for good basic clean & comfortable accommodation at a very reasonable price.

Room Tip: Rooms in the building nearest the main road are noisy in the morning.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Christine M, General Manager at West Park, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2012

Thank you for taking your time to write a review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and that we met your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit.

Christine Milne