“Good for a day conference”
Review of West Park

West Park
Ranked #26 of 28 Hotels in Dundee
“Good for a day conference”
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Attended a conference. Rooms v basic and some beds tiny. Food ok at Conference though £25 for pre Conference meal (3 courses, poor quality). Conference facilities, staff and surroundings all good

• Stayed June 2012
Christine M, General Manager at West Park, responded to this review, June 15, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. I am glad you enjoyed the facilities at West Park during your conference. I am sorry to read of your disappointment with your evening meal. I would have welcomed the opportunity to have discussed the dinner with you on the night but will discuss this review with my chef and look at what could have been done better. We value all feed back from our guests and hope to see you again for next years conference.

Christine Milne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Reviewed June 12, 2012

You get what you pay for it what was originally student accommodation. Double beds in The Villas a must as the student singles elsewhere are too small for anyone above average.
£25 for dinner would best be spent elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.
“West Park” is Tayside’s largest Conference and Events Centre. Situated within the grounds is West Park Campus. During the summer months this 3 star Campus accommodation is available to the general public and offers excellent value for money and is an ideal choice for those seeking clean, comfortable, en-suite accommodation. We do not profess to be a luxury hotel and as you mention our prices are very reflective of that. Residents can make use of the excellent breakfasts served within the Victorian Mansion House on site.
I do hope you found the accommodation good value for money and will return again.

East Coast Scotland
Reviewed June 10, 2012

My office had booked for a Christmas "party night" in December 2010 (sorry its been a while since then but I just remembered the name of this place).

I paid £45.00 for my ticket, booked my hairdresser to do my hair on the morning of the "party" well in advance. I was looking forward to the night hout no end! I'd heard good things about the West Park and was really looking forward to it, I bought a new dress, shoes and bag so all in all the cost I laid out including the ticket price, hairdresser and new outfit cost me inexcess of £300.00.

The weekend before the party night it snowed heavily and as I was 65 miles north of Dundee I got snowed in. The actual tyres of my car were frozen to the road by a thick layer of ice, where my car was parked it was impossible to get any local cars up the wee hill and as it was off the main road the roads were not plowed or gritted so it it was impossible to get my car out of the cul-de-sac. I went out there and I dug the car out, chipped the ice away from the tyres and tried to get my car out throughout the week to no avail. I did contact a few of the people I worked with to advise them and said I'd try my damndest to get there but it was completely impossible.

There was widespread terrible weather at that time so I know I was not the only one unable to get there. After the event itself and closer to christmas I contact the West Park and asked for either a full or partial refund as I had been unable to attend due to circumstances beyond my control. I emailed them and it took them a week to get back to me. I was advised that no refund either full or part would be considered as although it was beyond my control that I'd been unable to attend it was also not their fault and they stated they still had to pay for food etc so despite the fact I didn't turn up they had paid for the food. (I am however quite sure that the food did not cost even a fraction of what I paid for it).

I responded directly stating that I am sure they did have to pay for food and I pointed out that a partial refund would perhaps be in order in light of the fact that they buy food in bulk and I was sure that as a goodwill gesture they could consider it. They refused point blank a few days later when they were obviously bored enough to reply. They went on to say that some of the people from our party had "stolen" a table centrepiece of some value and they wanted it to be returned and continued to refuse to consider a partial refund of my ticket price.

I returned to work after annual leave and saw the photos from the people who did manage to get to the party night. The table centre pieces were cheap sparkly christmas trees widely available in any asda store that christmas and cost 99p for a pack of three (I know this because we had them in the office and I had popped to asda to buy them).

I was advised by the people who had made it that the food we had picked from the menu was not given to them, the starter had been changed without any warning and people were not given a choice of the new starters, the beef main course that some people had chosen turned out to be an underseasoned steak pie kind of thing and was basically a scoop of beef stew with a bit of pastry on top and the dessert was cheesecake and nothing else, no cream or ice cream and the original selection on the menu we had based our booking on had not been offered. The "steak" in the main course was reported as stringy, tough, chewy and full of fat. The food was lukewarm at best, the veggies had been boiled past the point of no return and the service staff were run off their feet and very disorganised. I wonder how they would have coped if the 25% of us that didnt make it had been there? The wine that should have been on the table was not and when a member of staff was asked to bring it to the table the staff member was rude and when she did eventually bring the wine she slammed it down on the table and stomped off.

The "entertainment" was a mobile disco from a local radio station, the music was cheesy, too loud and distorted. The hotel had packed way more people into the space than should have been in there (again many people could not make it so how crowded would it have been if we had all been there?).

In one of my emails I did point out that as a team we did eat out on a regular basis and that by refusing even a partial refund they had talked themselves out of any future business from our office and from anyone else who was asking for recommendations for nights out etc. Their response was the equivalent of a shrug of the shoulders.

All in all I was unimpressed with the hotel, the staff and the email responses from them. they took far too long to respond to emectronic communication, were rude in their responses and they did miss out on business within 2 weeks of the new year as we did go out as a team, someone suggested the west park and i did talk them out of it. They missed out on several hundred pounds and some of staying the night.

West Park: You are rude, failed to deliver a "party night", provided mediocre food, bad entertainment and have many many staff training issues. I for one will never visit the hotel and will make damn sure no one I know does either.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank Pippa S
Christine M, General Manager at West Park, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a detailed review on Trip Advisor. Although your event was held in 2010 and you did not actually attend this event, your comments are valuable feedback.
Many of your colleagues were very complimentary on the night of this event and so I am disappointed to read your comments regarding this.
We are constantly looking to improve on everything we do and your comments will allow us to make positive changes within the business.
Thank you again for taking the time to leave a review and I hope you will return to
West Park Conference Centre to experience all the improvements we have made over the last two years.

Christine Milne

Travelers are raving about these Dundee hotels

St. Andrews, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2012

Was here in early March for work. Reasonable location, not too far from station and easy to find from out of town. Lots of parking places on the day that I was here. Staff on reception were friendly, well organised and competent. Rooms were airy, with pleasant outlook and had lots of of natural light.
Good coffee supplied. Lunch served in two rooms both spacious and bright. Food was great, huge bowls of wonderful fresh salad. Hot option as well that looked good. Puddings looked gorgeous, individual cheesecakes or sticky toffee pud. I'm gluten free so asked if I could have fruit and another couple of people joined me. A freshly prepared delicious fruit salad appeared with a little white jug. I tried not to sigh thinking that it was cream ( more forbidden fruit) but no, a delicious strawberry puree. Mmmm... Great staff.
Didn't stay overnight so can't comment.
Good place to do work.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank kazz50
Christine M, General Manager at West Park, responded to this review, March 20, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post such a lovely review on Trip Advisor. The team here at West Park work really hard to deliver a great service with great homemade food. I am pleased you enjoyed your visit, If you are back again in the summer months the accommodation we have on site is 3 star Campus accommodation, prices from £30pn. enquiries@westpark.co.uk

Kind Regards
newport
Reviewed January 1, 2012

and the Fairy Godmother said.... you shall go to the Westpark Hogmanay ball...I'd tell her what to do with the £65 a head tickets. Thre was no vegetarian starter, no non alcoholic welcoming drink, so if you are a vegetarian or don't drink alcohol, that was tough. The bar service was terrible - too many functions going on. The whole evening cheapo . Our party of 12 got split and put at different tables. Never come across that in 15 years of going to dinner dances. But the worst had to be the Glenside Celeidh band... They seemed to only know five dances and they played them round and round all night with great long gaps inbetween. If you are thinking of going to the Westpark Hogmanay bal....don't.

Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank mazzie50
Christine M, General Manager at West Park, responded to this review, February 17, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Trip Advisor. I am sorry you were disappointed with your Hogmanay event. Although many of our guests thoroughly enjoyed the event we do value your feedback. As you are aware we have responded to yourself and your parties comments and appreciated the opportunity to do so.
Christine Milne General Manger
Dundee
Reviewed December 31, 2011

Mrs Benny and I booked with friends for the party night @ the Sidlaw suite for Hogmanay. Here's my review;

We were met with champagne at the front door and made our way to the main function suite which was very well decorated and laid out.

There were no finger rolls on our table but the friendly (mainly young students?) staff sorted that out.

It was to be fair a limited menu with just chicken broth soup and prawn cocktail (70's style in a wine glass) to a veggie main course or roast beef which was thickly cut but fairly tasty, then either clootie dumplings with custard (Mrs Benny had this and the custard was very watery and not too tasty) or a cheese selection followed by tea or coffee.

It was a Hogmanay party night and the DJ was quite good getting the mixed crowd on the dance floor from early doors.

Just before the bells the staff brought a choice of sparkling wine or whiskey and the night finished off well. There was no trouble, staff were friendly (thought it might be difficult to get served at bar but no problems), there was a fair mix of people, kids, families, couples and larg groups.

Overall it was good night, and you do have a choice of this disco night a hoolie or a ball at different prices.
start,

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your Hogmanay event. The night was a great success and we have already taken bookings for Hogmanay 2013. Hope to see you there!
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 31, 2011

and in a word it was awful. One - when we booked for 12 no-one said the we would NOT be sitting together. No we were at two tables. Then there was no choice if you were a vegetarian..In facty there was nothing if you were a vegetarian. Just atarve for your money. But hey we still all thought we would stick with it until they brought on the band. For 65 pound each we endured two dashing white sergeants, three gay gordons, the military two step, and if we had stripped the willow any more, there would have been no bark left on the tree. In 15 years of going to dinner dances I have never been at anything like this. Awful in this day and age does not begin to cover it.

Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank marion q
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review onTrip Advisor. I am sorry to hear you were disappointed with your Hogmanay event. We have since communicated futher on the matters raised and i thank you for allowing me the opportunity to respond. Christine Milne General Manager