“Pretty good resort... if you are a golfer..”

Piperdam Golf & Leisure Resort
Ranked #2 of 10 Specialty Lodging in Dundee
“Pretty good resort... if you are a golfer..”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Stayed for a week, with my wife and 2 kids, in the resort in a cabin with a hot tub.

For golfers this a haven but we are not.

On the positive side it was clean, and maintained to a high standard. The restaurant was busy most of the time but service was very quick, efficient and friendly. Pricing was slightly on the high side but not off the scale.

The resort offered a variety of events for kids and adults alike. All at additional cost. However, 3 of the 5 events we chose were cancelled at tbe very last minute. I.e water walkers. Canoeing and rifles. Alternatives were offered.

Overall rating for me was an expensive holiday for non golfers like us. But pretty good if you are.

Don't think I would be in a hurry to rebook.

johnsir

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Just back from a long weekend at piperdam. This was our 5th visit. I cant believe how run down and dirty the vegas lodge was.The floors were dirty and sticky the kitchen utensils hadnt been cleaned properly and the rooms smelt of sewage. On our first evening we went into the hot tub which was full of hair and dirt there was glass at the bottom of it and two of the party cut their feet. In the past we have told everyone of the 5 star service we had received on each of our previous visits and have given people information about the resort it is a shame that standards have slipped and that the accommodation is now looking so run down.

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank Inxh
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Just returned from a 3night stay in Vegas 3 lodge,it was very nice but not as good as 3 years ago when we went,I found the lodge a bit more grubby,the couch was ripped,when someone sat on a seat in the games room the sides fell off!! Overall the lodge is great the hot tub is fantastic although I would liked to have stayed in later than 11pm and someone cut there foot in the hot tub when we complained in the morning they came right away emptied it and re-filled it for us,Also there was only a tiny frying pan in the lodge not great or 12 people.I just feel for the price you pay the maintenance should be kept up to date and the lodges should be cleaned more thoroughly.We ate at the restaurant on the Sunday it was very nice and worth a visit.

Room Tip: It's difficult in the Vegas lodge as the bedrooms are downstairs and when people are walking it...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank kymbo6470
scotland
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I booked a Muirloch lodge as a surprise for my husband, who was celebrating a special birthday. Sadly, we had to reschedule our weekend away due to a family bereavement. I had to travel back to Ireland for the funeral, which was taking place on the weekend we were due to stay at Piperdam. I contacted the reception staff to inform them of the situation as soon as I heard about the death, which was only a couple of days before our scheduled stay. I was slightly taken aback when the receptionist made a comment along the lines of ‘that’s a bit quick’, referring to how soon the funeral was taking place following the death. I had to explain that it was normal practice in Ireland for a funeral to take place within three days of a death. I felt annoyed that I had to justify myself under the circumstances. However, we were able to reschedule our booking at a cost of £75.

I was further taken aback when, at check-in, I was required to pay a £150 ‘housekeeping deposit’. The receptionist informed me that I would not see the payment leaving or re-entering my account but that it would be unavailable for use for up to ten days and that we would not be charged unless we ‘trashed the place’. I find this a rather unusual practice. Usually, clients are required to provide credit card details when making a booking so, in the event of a no-show or criminal damage etc., the hotelier can claim what is rightfully theirs. Piperdam’s housekeeping policy has a rather ‘grasping’ feel to it.

When we arrived at our ‘luxury’ lodge we were met with a warning sign on the front door stating that it was a pet-free lodge and that a charge of £500 would be made if pets were found in the lodge. This didn’t apply to us but it definitely set the tone! There were numerous, ugly warning signs stipulating rules, regulations and details of fines that would be applied in the event of rule breaks, hanging around the hot tub area. On one hand I can completely understand that, in this litigious climate, businesses have to protect themselves, but I have never seen it done in such a blatant manner before and certainly not in luxury accommodation! It suggested to us that Piperdam regard their clientele as unruly, law-breaking reprobates who are prone to ‘trashing’ holiday accommodation!

Nevertheless, we were determined to enjoy our weekend and we settled into our lodge, which was undeniably lovely, but lacking the little details that characterise luxury accommodation – no fluffy white bathrobes or slippers, not even fluffy white towels (you pay extra for those of course!!). There wasn’t even a sponge to do the washing up! Furthermore, there were stains on the carpet and a dining room chair had a very wonky leg. Under normal circumstances these minor maintenance issues would not have bothered me but I was thinking of that £150 housekeeping deposit!!

Frustratingly, the niggles continued. The next morning, as we were preparing breakfast, there was a power cut. We went to call reception and noticed that there was no phone in the lodge. We found our mobile phones but neither of us had a signal. So, hungry and with damp hair from our morning shower we had to trudge down to the main resort (about a 10 minute brisk walk there and back) to report the issue. We complained about not having a phone in the lodge in light of the fact that staff knew there was no mobile phone coverage in the area, but the complaint was met with shrugs of indifference. Maintenance was despatched and had been and gone, having apparently resolved the issue, before we had walked back to the lodge. We resumed our breakfast preparations only for another power cut to happen. Again, we set off to report the problem. The response?? Not ‘I’m sorry sir/madam, I can appreciate this must be frustrating for you, have breakfast on us by means of an apology’. No. It was ‘Yer jokin’ (said through a mouthful of food). This time, Alan, the friendly maintenance man, established that a faulty toaster had caused the power cuts and replaced it quickly, but we had started our breakfast preparations at 10 and didn’t eat until 12.

In the welcome pack we saw that we could order food from the restaurant and have it delivered to our lodge. What a lovely idea for couples on a romantic break! Of course this was not possible, as we would have to walk down to the main resort to order the food in light of the lacking phone or mobile coverage! As we had to walk down anyway, we decided to have dinner at the Room with a View Restaurant. We were disappointed to discover that none of the seafood dishes, with the exception of a prawn starter, was available. This amounted to seven dishes on the menu! Our meal could only be described as average. However, the young waiting staff were friendly and efficient.

Finally, when we checked out we were asked if everything was all right. When I said that it was a mixed bag the response was ‘Oh’, and this sums up Piperdam’s attitude to customer service.

So in summary, a perfectly nice lodge, but luxury it is not. Futhermore, the customer service is appalling, especially in light of the fact that they knew we were there to celebrate a special birthday, which was marred by sad news prior to our original booking.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank irishdeelish
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed in a (new build) Rainbow Executive lodge for our first family holiday. The cabin was amazing, with an outdoor hottub and indoor sauna. The lodge was very well appointed with everything you'd wish for to make your stay comfortable, LCD tv, Blu ray player, dishwasher, fridge and freezer. (Only slight gripe would be that there wasn't even one complimentary dishwasher tablet, no kitchen tongs and no scissors.) best to bring your own.
Both bedrooms were ensuite with a cracking two headed shower cubicle, one of the heads being a giant rain fall type.
There's a family friendly bar and restaurant on the site too, so it means you don't have to cook every night if you don't want to.
The only other niggle I would have (very slight) is that with the new cabins being so new there's no real wooded area in this part of the site, the trees have obviously been cleared back and haven't had time to grow back, whereas the older cabins have a much more wooded setting to them. Also where the building works stop there's just a large fence with the heavy machinery and cleared scrub piled high (maybe a better screen fence would hide this better?) Also, I felt Rainbow 5 was a wee bit too close to the very last Osprey cabin, but it wouldn't put me off staying again.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Pietersen24
Lancashire
Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for a 4 day break for the bank holiday weekend. Rainbow Lodge Plus with outdoor hot tub. Very clean and well equipped for self catering. Tesco and Asda about 20 mins drive away. Lots of activities going on,but unfortunately didn't have enough time,due to day trips out. Would recommend this place for a chilled break. Feeding the ducks on Piperdam Loch. The sunset over it is picturesque! Hot tub amazing!!! Would definitely come back.

• Stayed August 2013
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Great place to stay if you're looking for a really relaxing break. My husband and i stayed in the Muirloch Executive Lodge for four nights and loved it. The lodge was huge, very spacious inside, nicely decorated and had everything you could ask for, including a sauna in the bathroom and a hot tub outside which was ace. The main complaint i had though was that there really was absolutely nothing to do! We tried to go for a walk thinking there would be lots of paths through the woodland available but ended up walking on the main road jumping into the long grass each time we saw a car coming. I think it's good if you fish or golf as there's activities available, but we do neither. I couldn't get a 3G signal on my mobile (not Piperdam's fault obviously) so felt a bit out of touch. We felt it was very expensive too.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dundee
DoubleTree by Hilton Dundee
Best Western Scores Hotel
Best Western Scores Hotel
#11 of 17 in St. Andrews
The Hideaway Experience

Been to Piperdam Golf & Leisure Resort? Share your experiences!