“Not as good as expected”

Piperdam Golf & Leisure Resort
Ranked #2 of 10 Specialty Lodging in Dundee
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We were very excited to go there for the day with our two little girls however we did feel let down.
We had lunch in the bar area and the food really was not good at all. The chips were straight out of a packet and the coleslaw tasted like a Tesco value tub. The salad garnish had seen better days. The waitor was pleasant enough. The general cleanliness of the bar area where we were eating was not great - we ate at 1:45pm.
The swimming pool was ok and the children enjoyed it. The changing rooms are very basic and the family changing room which we used was not very clean, the lockers were very small and only one had a working key so we had to leave our bags outside as they wouldn't fit in.
We would probably go again to swin but certainly wouldn't waste our money on the food.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Annie G

Reviewed January 8, 2013

We had been to piperdam before a year ago and stayed in the rainbow lodge, loved it so much we decided it would be perfect to spend Christmas there. This time we booked the osprey lodge for Christmas week. Firstly there was no freezer which was a big concern as I had a car full of frozen food, after contacting the reception they deliverd a freezer to the lodge which was a huge relive. The condition of the lodge was poor, a lot of things broken, ie, the fridge door so nowhere to stand the milk, we had to lie our milk on a shelf. The dishwasher, the door that the tablet should be placed was broken, the bedroom mirror if you touched it, it fell apart, the bathroom door had a hook to hang towels ect..broken, lots of little things were in desperate need of repair. The cooker dials all the tempt were rubbed off, after once again reporting this to reception as a health and safety issue, as you wouldn't no what was what they did supply a card with a diagram of the tempt on. For a 4* lodge very disappointing. A big bugbare was on check in they swiped my credit card for £150 and had to buy 4 electricity cards at £5 per card, thinking that that would have been plenty for 5 days I was wrong all in all it cost £45, which I think is excessive.
Even with all the issues we had we did enjoy our stay, the hot tub was fantastic and very relaxing. As it was Christmas time we didn't really use the other facilities. I would still consider going back to Piperdam but there lodges really do have to be upgraded.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank elizabeth g
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Lodge ok. Kitchen area needs updating . Showers dreadful !!!! Hot cold hot cold .... Flow exceptionally slow . Dissapointed by the leisure facilities.. Steam room not completed. The staff were nice! Value for money ?????? . No sure . Wont be back again.

• Stayed: December 2012
4  Thank Marymcculloch
Reviewed December 17, 2012

My fiance and I have just got back from our third trip here and I don't think we'll be going back. Our very first trip here was 3 and a half years ago and we loved it but we really do feel that it's gone downhill in terms general provision within the lodge. We knew you needed towels but I didn't think to take a bath mat for when you get out the shower - you definitely need one. I think some additional provisions in the kitchen would be helpful as well, when we first visited you definitely got a cloth, washing up liquid and some spray for the worktop. We packed washing up liquid and a sponge but for a weekend you end up having to pack everything, it’s ridiculous. Only one toilet roll and one bin bag - really tight. Other lodges we've been to provide the basic provisions plus spares as standard. Given the cost of Piperdam I think they are letting themselves down a wee bit.

General maintenance of the lodge was not as I would expect for the price. In the kitchen I realised on our second night that the vegetable knife was missing which was quite annoying. As I continued to cook I also realised that there was only one shelf in the oven and one tray so you couldn't cook more than one thing in the oven at a time. Where is the other shelf plus an extra tray?? Better still we couldn't put a bottle of milk inside the fridge door as it was also broken/hanging by a thread.

In the bathroom our light was hanging out of the ceiling and the plastic seal on the edge of the shower door was flapping about. We also couldn't securely shut the window in the bathroom so we had a constant draft from the window. As another reviewer noted we also found our lights didn't work in our hot-tub. Many of the covers for the hot-tub jets were also missing - not sure if this affected how well it worked though. It does state about the 11pm curfew in the terms and conditions but I think it needs to be made clearer at the time of booking rather than in the small print. We're adults so we don't need a curfew and we're quite capable of being respectful of other guests. I don't know how the curfew is enforced as we didn't end up staying out later but really not what you want on a romantic weekend away - big garish signs telling you to be out for 11pm. Not sure what the punishment is but I assume your deposit could be affected.

Also make sure to pack some plastic cups as there aren't any there. I completely understand that they don't want glass near the hot-tub as it’s a safety issue but some plastic cups would be appreciated - we had to empty our drinks into plastic coke bottles as we didn't have anything else and the signs indicate a £300 fine if they find any glass. We weren't even sure if we could leave our glass drinks outside to cool on the patio or if that would constitute a fine so we left them indoors.

All in all we feel Piperdam is not as good as the other lodges we've been to in the last year. Given the cost of Piperdam compared to others as well it makes it even more annoying that standards have slipped. We dithered between Piperdam and another lodge we've visited twice this year - wish we'd gone back to the other one. Piperdam is good but not what it once was.

One final issue is don't bank on your deposit being refunded quickly - we waited about 14 days for it to be credited back into our account. Given that it should be clear the day that someone leaves or at the very most a day later I think its rather poor how long it takes to refund it back. Piperdam is nice but other lodges are very comparable/better in terms of quality, price and service.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank GemGemsEdinburgh
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights at the beginning of December and first impressions on entering the lodge were excellent. The lodge was warm, cosy and as it was dark when we arrived (you can't get in until after 4pm) the lights were on and it was so inviting. The beds had been made up and the lodge was clean and had one or two bits we didn't expect since they are self catering: a tray with tea, coffee and UHT milk and three small individaul packs of biscuits and hospitalty soap and toilet roll in both bathrooms. The Leather sofas in the living area were squashy and comfortable and we both felt that you could actually live there all year round if you wanted to. The Dining Table Chairs were also very comfortable and not at all basic. All the radiators in the house were individually thermostically controllable with the main thermostat in the living area

We were staying with my daughter, son-in-law and 4 month old baby which is why we had a three bedroomed osprey lodge as the baby counted as one occupant for booking purposes even though he was sleeping in his parents' room. Both double rooms (5' beds) were a reasonable size and furnished in pine, with 2 bedside tables both with bedside lights, a 4 drawer chest of drawers and a hanging wardrobe which had a further two drawers and the beds were immensely comfortable. The twin room however, was much smaller and only had the wardrobe and one bedside table. We have a 6' bed at home and intended to use the twin room ourselves since the master bedroom with the en-suite was better for the baby and his parents. However we realised that we simply didn't have enough storage room or floor space to be comfortable, so we had to use the other double - and my husband slept in the twin room himself at night (I have a sleep disorder and we couldn't get comfy in the smaller bed than we are used to). In my view the twin room isn't suitable for two adults or teenagers and you might want to consider this if there are three couples going, although the beds themselves are very comfortable.

There were a few minor 'snagging issues' we discovered during our stay : loose towel/toilet roll holder fittings in the bathroom and the dishwasher leaked the first time we used it - but I have to say their maintenance people were excellent. Within 4 hours of our reporting the problems, they had been round to the lodge, fixed the issues and brought us a replacement dishwasher.

The biggest negative for us was the 'Well equipped kitchen'. It was distinctly short on decent cooking equipment: pan sizes, measuring jug and decent knives for chopping etc. and the red light on the cooker was missing. These are self catering lodges and the cooker and white goods were good, but you need to be able to easily prepare food and it was difficult to do with the equipment provided. we didn't even have a corkscrew and had to trail over to the reception area/bar to get one which was a 10 minute or so walk away.

Also be warned that phone reception may not be possible while you are on site. There is a phone box however and we all had phones from o2 so it may be that other providers networks will be better. we only got a signal once we were away from all te lodges and the trees. For a quiet holiday, this was no real problem but if constant contact with the outside world is vitally important to you, you might want to check what the position is with your network provider. My daughter was upset because the baby wasn't well and she had to go to the main reception and bar area to phone her health visitor.

Wifi is available in the bar and lounge area but it was a bit slow as is the free computer you can use for up to 15 minutes at a time sited at reception (but reception is not 24 hours and is locked after 8.30pm at night)

Having said all that we really enjoyed our stay and would visit again. I have given it 5* for value because we got the lodge on a special offer which they do from time to time, but the star rating would drop to either 3 or 4 if we had paid full price

Room Tip: We stayed in Osprey Lodge number 1 which offered a more secluded view of the trees than the ones on...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 9, 2012

My husband took me here for a birthday treat. I really enjoyed the weekend. The lodge we stayed in was very spacious and clean. The hot tub was excellent as was the sauna. Good food at restaurant and reasonably priced too. Over all a lovely place in a beautiful setting. Will most definitely return.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 7, 2012

My now husband and myself went there for a 4 days minimoon in October this year.
We were looking forward to that trip as we didn't go on holiday for about 2 years to be able to afford and plan our wedding, so this minimoon meat a lot to us.
However when we arrived at 1pm we were sadly left waiting to access our cottage.
The staff at reception told us to come back every hour to check if our cottage was available which I though wasn't very nice especially after a long drive.
The two women at reception were quite cold and didn't even apologies for the delay when the keys were finally handed to us at 4pm on that afternoon!

When got into our cottage it was freezing cold because the heating system was turned off and the big dark bin outside hasn't even been emptied!
We were basically left with the previous guests rubbish during the whole lens of our stay (4 Days!!) leaving no space to put our own rubbish into.

The cottage on itself was clean but we noticed that a glass and the back of the TV remote control were missing.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple