See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed September 24, 2018

I don’t usually write reviews, but this hotel was so awful that I felt compelled to warn anyone who might contemplate booking it.....

The reception check in procedure should include your name, address and next of kin.

The room was absolutely filthy, and the bathroom looked like a crime scene.
Everywhere you look there is broken equipment, dirty furnishings and wall coverings and a horrible smell which overhangs the whole property.

The only saving grace was that the “hotel” wasn’t haunted.

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed July 23, 2018 via mobile

I stayed at the Carlton and I loved the hotel the staff are very welcoming.. Everything I needed the beds were extremely comfy and the view over the river Tay was spectacular.. Would definitely stay again
Friendly staff and great service

Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed July 21, 2018

When we broke down this hotel was the only one available (Open week); even this very poor hotel put up prices though how this could ever be justified I do not know. The room spelt of urine and I would recommend anyone planning to stay there to lag on the carpet when you enter the room; at least then it will be your urine. The television looked like it was 10-15 years old with trailing wires, it was wall mounted and flickered consistantly and therefore un-viewable. No front door security so I can imagine people alone would feel very vulnerable. At first I thought it was either a shelter for homeless or somewhere users would go to 'shoot up'. Every piece of furniture (if you can call it that) was either, stained, damaged or both. If you have a choice of either sleeping in this so called hotel or risking assault by sleeping in a public convenience, choose the latter - it will be cleaner , cheaper and less dangerous.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed July 20, 2018 via mobile

Our car broke down and this was available .. 3 guesses why ...Dirty dirty dirty, twin room , very nice bar maid on reception with very little idea of what she is doing (because she is a bar maid not reception). 1 cup 2 saucers, unused pissy lavatory, dead bug in bed (probably committed suicide), non existent wardrobe ( just the shell no doors and genuinely worried to open the bottom drawer), TV flickers uncontrollably (if it was possible for it to give people epilepsy it would), no food served (thank god for that) I picked lavender to de-pissify the unused toilet smell, shower looks unwashed and previously used, when came back from dinner someone had been in our room with all our valuables after check in and added the second cup, would be perfect as a spoilt kids boot camp. Owner should be truly embarrassed and ashamed of themselves. That bad it was funny at first but now I need to go to sleep I am itchy and feel very unsanitary. Just don't do it to yourself.. hundred quid for this.. .

Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed March 10, 2018 via mobile

Walking into this hotel was like walking into a building site. The bar had furniture stacked to the ceiling and behind the unmanned reception desk were dozens of used paint cans. We were shown to room 9, which looks nothing like any of the photos of this hotel on their website (must have used a master of photography). To say the room was filthy would be an understatement. There was a puddle of water on the windowsill where water was coming in and the black mould in the bathroom was so thick mushrooms were growing on it. However the worse was yet to come; the bedding looked clean until we pulled the duvet covers back to reveal the sheets on the bed were not only badly stained, but had been slept on by the previous occupants and not changed. When we complained to the owner and asked for a refund, his response was that even he wouldn't stay in that room and without a quibble he refunded our money. Avoid this hotel, there is no reception, there is no bar, there is no breakfast, there is no security and there is no cleanliness.

Date of stay: March 2018