“lovely” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #29 of 31 Hotels in Dundee
london
“lovely”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2009

We stayed here for one night only but had a lovely time. We wished we'd booked for longer. The staff were so helpful and kept the restaurant open (amazing food) just for us. We didn't want huge meals so we got 2 set menus between 4 of us and not only did they put the food on separate plates but we are sure they made the meals bigger as we couldn't have eaten another thing. Nothing was too much trouble and the Duty manager chatted away with my husband's parents who had a lovely time. The rooms were lovely with massive en suites. Great stay!!

Don't be confused - the New Dundee Carlton and the Dundee Carlton are one in the same. It's recently been totally refurbished!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2009

This hotel seemed like it was going to be great, and when I arrived, tired and grateful for a large comfy bed, all seemed wonderful. Unfortunately, I was kept awake by a loud plumbing noise coming from my bathroom, every half hour, on the half hour. Too exhausted to think through what I might do about this in the middle of the night, I tried to complain in the morning but was told they knew nothing about the problem, and the manager was not available so I would have to pay anyway and they would call me in two days time. No such call came. I tried phoning the hotel, the manager was still unavailable but would call me. I am still waiting for that call.
I would never use this hotel again, nor would I recommend it, even to my worst enemy. If they had sought to resolve my complaint, I might have felt more kindly towards them, but they have made no effort to do so. Interestingly, I met a fellow conference attendee in another town at another event who had also stayed at the Dundee Carlton and they too had been kept up all night and had been treated badly the following morning.

Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Bitsy72

Travelers are raving about these Dundee hotels

London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2009

Would not go back. The staff seemed to have better things to do than "serve". I felt like an intruder instead of a paying guest. It's a shame really, as it's a lovely building with great potential, but that's cosmetic.

The rooms were nice, although a bit sterile. TV didn't work properly.

Bar wasn't cosy so went to the front lounge with my drink - but it was a bit cramped and dark in there....so had my one drink and left.

It doesn't seem this place has a "soul" - just a group of young inexperienced staff.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MichaelB30M
Devon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2009

This is my fourth stay at the Dundee Carlton this year and I no longer bother trying other hotels in the area. Every time I have made the trip up to Dundee both the welcome and my stay has been fantastic. I think the hotel is a little 'undersold' on websites and is a real gem just outside the city centre (yet close enough). As a business traveller it has everything I need - I can always park (free of charge unlike some in Dundee), the wifi works well, a comfortable lounge available for meetings, a quiet bar, room service and a really good restaurant. Staff have been very helpful and although they don't have a seperate business centre I have had reception handle printing, faxes and email for me during my stay.

They've obviously spent a lot of money rennovating the hotel (and done a great job) and it's got av very contempory look and feel. Probably a shame it's not slighty bigger as I only just managed to book the final room on my last trip as they were pretty full.

I've stayed in a lot of hotel's over the years and there aren't many I've seen that I'd use for business and leisure but I'd certainly bring the family up to the Carlton in the future.

This hotel is the same sort of price as staying in a premier inn or similar - I know what I'd choose.

Finally the restaurant is worth a visit in it's own right, the food is sensational and not too badly priced for fine dining. I paid a sensible price for the room and really enjoyed the restaurant and bar for less money than i've spent before just on a room at some other 'well-known' hotels. I'd recommend it.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DundeeCarlton, Manager at Dundee Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2009
Many thanks for taking your time to write your review I am delighted to see that you are happy with the hotel and the service we are providing you. I am also very happy to hear that you keep coming back. Many thanks again for the lovely comment.
Chester
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2009

A catalogue of disasters which started the minute we arrived, easily could have been avoided through communication. I heard at least 10 times in the 2 days we were there " this isn't my job I am just helping out". We eventually checked out early as someone had vomited in our room (!!!!) and I was told by the general manager (who was on the phone at home) that I shouldnt be complaining as I had had a good deal in the first place. Staff pleasant but promised things that were not backed by management. Could be lovely but will not be going back..

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank JCJChester
Midlothian
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2009

Really nice hotel with very friendly and helpful staff. Breakfast was excellent. Ideal position for easy commute into City centre.
Read a review dated in November 2008 stating about reception on TV, still not sorted.
The toilets make a horrendous noise when flushed even when someone in another room is flushing their toilet, kept me awake most of night.
All in all, a nice stay and money well spent.

• Liked — Food and staff
  • Disliked — Noise of toilet during the night and signal on TV
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
      Check in / front desk
essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2009

great hotel./staff/food rooms/linen would use time and time again food hot plenty of it ,rooms large bright airy,very clean in hall ways and stairs,good views at front,staff couldnt help us enough being stuck thier due to snow 2/2/2009 let us stay until our plane left 4 hours later kept us up todate with,times,airport ,weather/road conditions ,well done cant say enough about this hotel staff ect all i can say will use in future to see family ,thanks for all you done for us regards mrs b mcnamara and family

• Liked — staff.location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business