“Alcorn Guest House- Best in Dundee”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Alcorn Guest House

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Alcorn Guest House
Ranked #16 of 22 Dundee B&B and Inns
India
“Alcorn Guest House- Best in Dundee”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

I had 15 day experience as a guest in this B & B. The place is rated five stars because I found it peaceful, the rooms and wash were clean, food was good and the hospitality was excellent. Mrs Lalitha, the owner is a very friendly lady and she does her best to keep you comfortable. I will definitely opt the same place another time.

Room Tip: As soon as booking, communicate the owner via telephone to ensure a good room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank karthik k

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Cebu Island, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

The owner was nice but she was strict in terms of noises.I think it was an old house and they just re-decorate it to beautify the inside.Floors inside our room was making noises everytime we walk.The food was not that delicious.The bacon was always smelly.She was not helpful in giving us information about the basic information within the places of dundee.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

stayed 3 nights at this delightfull guest house. which is within walking distance into the centre of dundee... the lady of the house was so friendley and couldent do enough to make our stay welcome.. breakfast was any thing you wanted.. full hearty breakfast for us. would certainly recomend.. clean & value for money...

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank jodie111
Voyageuse
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

I made a reservation by e-mail once month ago and I was asked for my credit card details, I gave the card number and exp date. When I was asked for the 3 digits at the back, I refused because with all those details, they can charge anything they want anytime they want. I offer instead to pay through a secured web site. One Nancy answered me saying it was ok and confirmed the booking.
Two days ago (one week before living for Scotland) I received an e-mail telling me that since I didn't give the three digits my booking was cancelled. The owner pretended that in Scotland, they couldn't do anything with those details.
I answered that it wasn't fair to let me down just one week before my stay and that she should have said no one month ago. She never answered.

Just to be clear :
1 - I booked my entire stay in Scotland 10 days in 10 different B&B's by e-mail and except for Alcorn, I was never asked to give credit card details. They all want cash payment
2 - If you can buy anything from the internet with a credit card number, exp date and three digits at the back, so can anyone you give this information to!

Fortunately, I immediately booked another room in a cheaper and nicer place

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Val L
Castle Douglas, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

I am going to be honest, even though the owner was lovely, we rely on this site when booking accommodation. The B and B is in a quiet street, which is a real advantage. However we are paying good money for this. The double bed was saggy, thankfully there was a single in the room also, so glad there was another bed to choose from.

We do like real coffee, so when we saw the cafetieres in the cupboards, we thought, yes real coffee, but disappointingly we received instant coffee, even though the place was quiet.

Breakfast could have been better quality, the sausage really was not good. Beans were poured over the bacon, rather then kept separate. The two goods things about this B and B are that it is very clean and the owner a really nice person. But quality really needs to be improved.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Fishers2
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

Stayed for two nights in January. I stumbled upon it walking around and could not be happier. The lady who owns it as incredibly nice and made a phenomenal breakfast. I will definitely stay there again if I return to Dundee.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Godalming
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

We stayed here on an overnight trip to St Andrews (a golf tournament was on, so more convenient accomodation was not available). The room was comfortable - not luxurious. The breakfast was plentiful - not top notch. The land lady/owner was extremely friendly and helpful - and that, for me, is a real big plus.

Room Tip: Call the guest house and reserve directly - the rates available on line are peak season rates!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family