“Happy the Taychreggan has reopened”

Taychreggan Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #23 of 28 Hotels in Dundee
Dundee
“Happy the Taychreggan has reopened”
Reviewed June 7, 2014

We went along without a reservation for dinner on the Friday night. We opted for Spice, which is situated in the dining room of the hotel. Plenty of cheerful and helpful staff on our arrival. We were shown to a table and our drinks order was taken after a few minutes. Food was excellent. There is nothing we could fault on any aspect of our visit. 2 drinks, 2 starters, 2 mains, rice and a naan - total bill was £44. We finished off our evening with a drink in the bar. We will definitely be back. Happy that our "local" has reopened.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank ArlieSMF

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 4, 2014

So, for those who don't know, Taychreggan has reopened at least in restaurant format and has been reopened by the chaps who owned Spice (which burned down!) in Broughty Ferry. It is now an Indian restaurant, albeit they also have a regular bar menu.

I've eaten at Taychreggan dozens of times as it is the only restaurant within walking distance of my house, and some things you could be sure of back in the days before it shut were; good service, a decent pint and very simple, but good food. So, the good news is they have 2 of the 3 right, a good pint of Peroni and the food was very good. But oh my, the service was akin to Faulty Towers I'm afraid, which I'd happily forgive if they were new to the restaurant game, but they've been restaurateurs for many years, these are merely new premises!

We arrived 20 minutes ahead of schedule to be told our table was ready, but I wanted a pint in the bar first which led to some confusion with the guy who greeted us. He was very keen for us to sit at our booked table, but I persisted and we got a seat in the bar. No wait staff in the bar, old-fashioned serve yourself kinda place even though the barman was doing nowt. Ordered a pint and a drink for my dining companion and we had a nosey at the bar menu, some Indian dishes as well as the staples of Fish & Chips, Steak pie etc etc etc.

Upon finishing the beer we wandered back to the reception area (no one had offered us a restaurant menu) but the lady said we'd have to wait on our table as it wasn't ready...I pointed out they tried to seat us 20 minutes prior and sure enough, the table was ready. Sat down in the refurbished dining room which is at the left as you go in the main door (not the one by the bar) and perused the menu, got a drinks order straight away and went for a bottle of white, a Macon Lungy which I have to say was very average, and I am a big Macon fan.

Waitress came back to take our order of mixed pakora starter, pathia and mazedar - we literally had to spell the main courses as she had no idea what we were talking about. Note to owner - if you are employing staff, please can they at least be able to spell items from the menu? I'm not sure of how else you would spell that particular dish other than p-a-t-h-i-a....? Odd. We also ordered a cheese and onion naan.

Starter was served quickly and it was very good, fish, chicken and vegetable pakora for 2 with a little side salad and excellent dip. Finished it and waited....and waited.....and waited.....then the dish was cleared....and we waited....and waited.....and waited some more.

Main arrived some 40 minutes after starter with the wrong naan, we were so hungry I didn't care, but the owner did come out and rectify with the right naan.

Meal itself was very good but the place is crying out for a maítre D or at the very least, a front of house manager. Not once were we asked how the food was, not once was I asked if I wanted any water, staff couldn't spell, table next to us complained about something and waiter was very very loud about it, plus they'd have missed out on a beer and a wine from the bar if the guy at the front had seated us straight away. If they have someone (even at weekends) who understands how to greet guests, give them very simple service, the food is arguably well worth the wait, however, we both noted a few tables all with something wrong, and many of them with empty glasses - more revenue lost to a new business - and all so simple to put right with the right person in charge. Wasn't a massively expensive night at around £68.00 for dinner, wine and a couple of drinks.

I hope Spice get it right, I really do as I want to keep going back as it is so convenient, I fear if they don't put someone in place to manage the front of house, they'll struggle against some very good Indian restaurants less than a mile down the road, Bombay Joes and Indos both offer the same quality of food with *considerably* better service, wait staff who can spell, a warm welcome and friendly interaction. When they had Spice in B-F before the fire, I seem to recall service was very good, they need to get back to that urgently!

Will give it another go soon, hope to be able to report that they've improved their service.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
13 Thank monaco7
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2012

It was a great place when it was open with a very talented chef who managed to change his menus with thge seasons. However it has closed down, maybe because a downturn in business but more likely due to the major works to repair the roof and the problems that it had caused.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank GarryFK
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Me and my husband stayed here for one night and have no complaints. Room was clean and of a good size. As with good Scottish weather the room was slightly cold but quickly heated up once we switched on the heater. We had dinner and breakfast and both were delicious. Staff were friendly, likeable and very helpful

Stayed September 2012
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Stayed for one night on a business trip.The hotel is very friendly warm clean and great food. I had a small single room 4 small but had everything i needed. The staff were very helpful booking taxis and offering advice. There are over 450 different whiskys in the bar - i had to try one and was given a very full detailed way, how to choose and drink scottish whisky. FAB - i slept well. Thank you Id not hesitate to go back and see more of the hotel and Dundee

Room Tip: Room 8 was a very large double on the front, very large bathroom too
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Northampton
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We had the pleasure of dining at the Taychreggan restaurant on Sunday 16th September. It was a special birthday occassion and the small but experienced staff coped extremely well and were attentive to our every need. As a party of about 25, the children were offered main courses whilst the adults enjoyed starters - we particularly recommend the local 'Cullen Skink'. As sassenachs visiting from across the border, this was a culinary treat! Despite a small hiccup with the table plan - which was dealt with discreetly, promptly and efficiently - the remainder of the meal passed without any fuss and our whole family was made to feel welcome and at no time rushed. The vista and gardens were a bonus for the children to run around in after the main meal. Overall, a memorable and special venue which I thoroughly recommend for such an occassion. My thanks to the staff on that day who worked their socks off for us all.

Room Tip: The bar is stocked with a tremendous selection of scotch should you feel adventurous.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I recently had high tea with a few friends at this restaurant based upon the recommendation of a friend.

First impressions is that this is a beautiful looking hotel. Everything is decorated in keeping with the period of the building and it all looked clean and fresh.

We had booked a table and once seated, the first round of drinks was ordered without a hitch. Sadly this did not set the tone for the rest of the evening.

Each member of my party ordered high tea; each with a varying main course. In other restaurants I've had high tea, everything is all brought out at once - i.e. you get your tea, main, cakes and toast all in a oner. Not today and not in the Taychreggan it would seem.

We were offered the choice of getting our toast first to which we all happily complied as we were starving. After a long time, our mains finally arrived and then a good while after that we were offered another round of drinks. We were left sitting for a wee while again before our cakes were brought out and we were finally offered a pot of tea!

The food itself was alright. I can't say it was brilliant but it wasn't terrible either. The toast was quite cold. The main - I had mushrooms with cous cous and haloumi(?) was quite bland. Some of my party had chips with their meal and each one commented on how greasy they were. The cakes when they were brought out were O.K. though I think the scones were a little on the stale side.

Service was pretty terrible. I'm not sure if the restaurant was understaffed or whether the staff were under motivated. Though I am not a fan of waiting staff who 'hover', I do expect to see them every now and then! A very long time passed between visits from the staff and we were feeling quite neglected by the end of the night. We actually had to physically seek someone out in order to get the bill.

It was a pretty average night to be honest. For the price it was alright but the settings do imply a higher quality evening.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends