“Couldn't check in, broken lift, homeless people in reception”

Travelodge Dundee Central Hotel
Ranked #20 of 28 Hotels in Dundee
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Couldn't check in, broken lift, homeless people in reception”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I recently visited this Travelodge and will never stay in another one again. I arrived at 8pm on a weeknight, to find nobody at reception except a strange homeless man sleeping on a table. There was a shoddy note on the desk to say guests should page someone for attention (by pressing a button on a cordless phone). I did this and waited 15 minutes in reception with the homeless man circling me. Eventually the manager arrived, no apology, and gave me my keycard.

I was lucky enough to be on the top floor, but the lift was broken for the duration of my 2 night stay- I had to climb 8 flights of stairs to get to my room.

The room itself was big but freezing. The only source of warmth was a rickety electric heater (turned off on my arrival) and this did nothing to counteract the cold from the huge windows and flimsy curtains.

The room was clean enough, however the bathroom door had clearly been punched and some DIY repairs carried out.

Most of the other guests I saw were carrying empty beer cans (or leaving them in the hallways) and walking around this hotel alone was not enjoyable.

I have not looked forward to my stays at Travelodges but this has been a horrible experience and I will not be staying here, or at any other Travelodges again.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank lisa-ebola
TravelodgeUK, Dianne from Customer Care at Travelodge Dundee Central Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
We do expect our customers to receive an efficient and welcoming check in service and we are really sorry to learn that this did not happen during your stay with us lisa-ebola. It is also regrettable to learn you found your room to be cold and the lift was broken during your stay. As part of our focus on minimising climate change impact, heaters are turned off until your arrival however we do have a number of spare blankets and duvets available from reception on a first come, first serve basis. Our Hotel Manager will be made aware of your concerns so these issues can be addressed and feedback provided to the staff at the hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
UK
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Strange one this. The location is excellent for the centre of Dundee and finding the hotel is easy, if you are looking for the car park head for the street behind the hotel. The hotel appears to be a coveted factory or warehouse and as such the corridors, and the rooms we had were spacious and very tall, this gives the feeling of being cold and empty. I say rooms as the first room we were allocated was not made up which appeared to be a genuine oversight by the cleaners as there was a bedding shortage apparently. We were given another room straight away with profuse apologies. Our room faced the front opposite the petrol station. The room itself appeared clean and decor was to standard Travelodge fare, the bed was very comfy and the pillows were excellent. The room appeared to have double glazing but this did little to stifle the noise from outside which was mainly traffic related. On this point and we know it is not the fault of Travelodge but there is a manhole cover/grid on the road outside on the road which is loose in its fittings, every time a vehicle goes over it, it clicks loudly which really gets to you especially at rush hour. There was the usual tea & coffee and the obligatory slither of soap in a packet, but Travelodge please, please can we have hair dryers installed in the rooms a standard? Breakfast if you so wished was a bun and some juice in a box, plenty of eateries nearby if you wanted something more substantial. All in all, handy, clean and a good bed but it does feel like it needs a lick of paint and a more warm' feeling' fitting

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business