“Dumb WiFi, good bath, otherwise boring”

Premier Inn Dundee West Hotel
Ranked #2 of 28 Hotels in Dundee
San Diego
“Dumb WiFi, good bath, otherwise boring”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I picked this place based on its reputation for a quiet night of sleep, much needed after flying eight time zones. It did meet that need well. As for the room, it's just the minimum amount to keep up with average; nothing really bad, just very forgettable. Except the bathtub which is quite deep and makes for a very good soak. However, it would be a much nicer soak if the bathroom fan were quieter or could be turned off independently of the bathroom light. Don't expect toilet paper either, just little tissue like sheets that have to pulled out one at a time as if paper rationing had hit the country.

Be aware that their "free WiFi" is misleading advertising. It's only free for 30 minutes per day. You can get around this by spoofing the MAC address on your network card so that you appear to be a new computer but this technique isn't for average users and is still annoying even if you know how to do it since you have to do it every half hour. I don't mind some limitations on overall bandwidth or data rate or more general Quality of Service (QoS) setting since it may not be reasonable to allow everyone to stream Netflix simultaneously. But really all I wanted to do was send e-mail and read newspapers, activities that don't require much bandwidth. The WiFi situation pretty much kills the Premier Inn chain for me.

Also you're in for ugly fluorescent lighting. That's probably an EU efficiency measure. Still they could use broader spectrum fluorescent bulbs or upgrade to LED lighting.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Having stayed in Cyprus for the last nine years I have not used this chain before but I needed a place local to St andrews ( without the high cost ) to stay. My first impression at the check-in was excellent with a happy smiling face giving us all the relevent information needed, The rooms were of a very high standard and spotlessly clean we could not find fault anywhere with the staff being friendly and helpful overall an excellent place to stay and we will use it again.

Room Tip: ask for a room on the top floor
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

Myself, my wife and my children (5 and 1) stayed for two nights on a public holiday weekend.

We had a ground floor room just along from reception. The room itself was great, just as we always find with the premier inn. Unfortunately we were badly disturbed by noise from the room above us, so bad that the light fittings in the room were shaking, this woke both myself and my wife on both nights that we stayed.

Breakfast in the adjoining restaurant was good and it's a great location for Dundee, especially for Camperdown.

We received great customer service from the reception staff when they were told of our noise problems, but since making a complaint online, both emails I have sent have been ignored. The online customer service from Premier Inn is terrible!

Overall, I'd recommend the hotel, but would suggest requesting a non-ground floor room.

• Stayed May 2013
Kim R, Manager at Premier Inn Dundee West Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Hi

I would like to thank you for your review on your recent stay with us.

I am pleased to hear that you found the room as you expected and the staff here provided great customer care. I would like to apologise on behalf of my colleagues at Head Office.

I would however like to discuss this matter in more detail and would appreciate if you gave me a call on 01382 561115 or e-mailed me on pitl.dundeewest@whitbread.com

I hope to be able to speak to you soon.

Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Stayed one night as I was on work business. Had the best sleep ever in a great big comfy bed . Staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Had dinner in the Beefeater grill next door and had the saver evening menu, which was great value for money. Overall I couldn't fault any of it and definitely would stay there again if I was back up in Dundee.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We have stayed at this Premier Inn several times and thought it was excellent, but our most recent visit was spoilt by very noisy guests in the room above us. They came in at 2am and crashed around for 2 hours by which time we just wanted to get in the car and go home. Apart from that everything was fine - very clean and comfortable.

Room Tip: Ensure that you get a first floor room to avoid the same issues. When I asked about this I was advi...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Dundee West Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. At Premier Inn we endeavour to ensure all our guests have an enjoyable stay in a comfortable environment and do apologise that on this occasion we failed to provide this. Please email your booking details including your reservation number to talktous@premierinn.com and we will follow this up with the Management Team. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
Bradford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed for one night - very comfortable, very pleasant staff and restaurant food very good and reasonable. We did have a bit of a wait for dinner but the place was very full. Otherwise couldn't fault it and very reasonable price too.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Hi

I would like to thank you for your review on your recent stay with us.

I am glad you found your stay comfortable, here at Premier Inn it is one of our aim's and glad we fulfilled it for you. I will pass on your messages to the restaurant team.

We hope to welcome you back very soon.

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We have stayed at this Premier Inn before and found it to be an excellent venue. As previously we found all the staff helpful and smiley. A credit to the Premier Inn chain. The room we had was well presented, with a marvelous large flat screen TV.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Hi

I would like to thank you for your review about your recent stay with us.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us once again. I will pass on your messages to the team, I am also glad you enjoyed our large flat screen TV's.

We hope to welcome you back to Premier Inn Dundee West soon.