WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Malmaison Dundee

Malmaison Dundee
Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Dundee
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
“Conveniently placed city centre hotel.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2014

Staff seemed extremely friendly and helpful if not ultimately all that competent. (Read on.) We were on a Secret Escapes bed and continental breakfast deal with a bottle of wine in room.
Having previously stayed in Malmaison in Leith this hotel was very similar. Darkly modern with quirks but in a restored building.
On arrival we were asked whether we'd like red or white wine but none appeared. In the evening as we left for dinner we enquired about wine and also whether they were economising as there were none of the lovely wee toiletries in our room we'd enjoyed when in Leith. Staff seemed surprised and when we returned the wine had been delivered. Too late for us to drink it that night but we took it home with us. However still no toiletries. My husband had to remove the soap dispenser from over the basin and take it into the shower with him but couldn't wash his hair as no shampoo.
Next morning continental breakfast was excellent and was tempted to upgrade to full breakfast at a cost of only £2. However it would have been greed and was more than full with continental. particularly enjoyed 'home made' granola.
Would certainly return, just a pity about the toiletries - or lack of them.
Was also very glad wasn't paying £13.95 for continental breakfast, breakfast being included in our deal, as for that amount I'd have expected at the very least to get the full Scottish. This is after all a city centre hotel with pretensions, not a a foodie heaven with award winning chef.

Room Tip: Some rooms, not the one we had, overlook the Firth of Tay. I'd ask for one of these next time.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dominiesabroad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Moray, Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2014 via mobile

The malmaison is a stylish hotel in a beautiful old building in the centre of Dundee. I liked my room and the bed was as comfortable as any I've slept in. Why only 3 stars? I had to wait a long time to check in despite there being only 2 people in front of me. On arrival at breakfast, 3 people told me someone would help me before someone did! I thought the breakfast offering was average and took a while to arrive. I would have liked a car park and a gym for this standard of hotel. I liked the bar but found it strange that beer could not be served in pints. Overall, I thought it was expensive and lacked the levels of service the beautiful building deserves.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Boondoggler
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2014

I booked a package including dinner, bed and breakfast for my son and I (he is a student in Dundee). There are a few issues that I think are worth raising:

The hotel is in a very nice building and in a good, central location. The room was quite comfortable but much too dark with inadequate lighting – I had to use the torch on my phone to pack my case in the morning. I understand the ambience issue but there should be an option to make the room brighter.
I had to wait quite a long time to check in as there was only one receptionist and she was busy on the phone.
The service at dinner was absolutely atrocious. I booked a table for 8pm and it wasn't ready until nearly 9 o'clock. We were told to wait in the bar when we didn't really want to as I had work to do. By 1010 pm we had been served only one course and were still waiting for the main. I had the wrong drink delivered (500 ml of wine instead of 250) and we didn't get our meal finished until after 11pm. I was told that the restaurant was unusually busy but that is not my concern and they shouldn't take bookings if they can't cope and I would have thought that hotel guests should get priority.
I requested a 0645h alarm call but didn't receive it (fortunately I'd set my own alarm). I also asked for the continental breakfast in my room as I had to leave for Edinburgh airport and this didn't arrive either! I left my son to sleep and requested that all charges should be taken from my credit card which I used on check in. However, when he tried to check out they wouldn't let him and he had to phone my father to sort it out as he couldn't contact me. Furthermore they wouldn't give him breakfast and told him it wasn't included in the rate. It seems that I was still then charged 175 pounds.

I travel extensively all over the world and had assumed Malmaison was a good brand (I’ve stayed in the Glasgow and London hotels which were fine) so I was very surprised, even though I might expect some teething problems with a new hotel. It was supposed to be a treat for him before taking his final student exams and I am really disappointed. In fact I have never written a review on Tripadvisor before but had e-mailed the manager (Ms Lisa Croll) who didn't respond despite several attempts. I think this is absolutely deplorable service - I honestly have never experienced anything like it and would encourage others to be careful about staying here as they don't deserve your custom.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank HKMikey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2014 via mobile

I am walking 500 miles from Scotland to the south coast (Brighton) and after my 1st day of walking up over Glen Ogilvy, part of the Glams estate, the beds were heaven sent. Soo comfy! Staff were excellent and the experience exceeded all expectations and would have rated higher if I could have!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank SMurLondon
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2014

Just had an evening with family at the Malmaison in Dundee - what a beautiful hotel, we had dinner, bed and breakfast and everything was spot on.The staff were excellent and could,not do enough. I've stayed at a few Malmaisons and Dundee is definitely one of the best. Great location too and the building has been respectfully and beautifully restored.

One tiny thing is - they could be more generous with their bathroom goodies!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank TRi F
edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2014

I stayed here with a group of friends for 1 night last week. It is annoying not being able to park at the hotel even if the nearest car park is only a 5 minute walk away. Our rooms were all comfortable, although my bathroom was not as clean as it could have been. The bar staff were very friendly and helpful, even if the bar does feel a little soulless. The restaurant was nice, and my friends all had burgers which they loved. I had the prawn curry which lacked flavor. The staff again were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was continental was adequate, nothing too exciting. Would I stay again? Possibly as there are many other choices in Dundee.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2014

Myself and husband (mr and mrs Newton) booked a large table for sat 10 may 2014 for a birthday meal for my husband. Firstly we were given a very warm welcome then taken to a private dining area (which we never booked). James was our main waiter and looked after our every needs. He was pleasant, professional and looked after all our needs. The food was excellent.

Also noted that Jack (our previous excellent waiter) remembered us and also looked after us. We were pleasantly surprised by our note at end of meal from jack wishing my husband a very happy birthday and some vouchers.

Yet again above and beyond in service, well done Jack.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends