“I can see what they're TRYING to do, just not there yet.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Madigan's Food Emporium
Ranked #64 of 371 Restaurants in Dundee
Cuisines: Cafe, British, Scottish
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Fife, Scotland
“I can see what they're TRYING to do, just not there yet.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

I've been in twice now since it changed hands into Madigan's. The first time for coffee and cakes with friends which was fine and the second time with the kids for lunch.

I can see what it's trying to achieve but I'm just not sure about it quite yet. The seperate food counter/till is confusing. Is it a deli or a cafe? The deli options, whilst pleasant, aren't extensive.

The booths are too small to seat 4 eating comfortably so head for a table up the back which has more than ample space round it.

Shocking music in the background, I'm aware not everyone has the same taste but seriously, even pop the radio on instead?!?

Staff extremely pleasant.

We're all about supporting local independent coffee shops and with time this place might hit it right on the nose, it's just not quite there yet.

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank MJDuncan07
wendy s, Owner at Madigan's Food Emporium, responded to this review, March 19, 2015
Hi.

I am also 'all about supporting local coffee shops' etc that's why I would never review another local business. Unlike you, obviously, on here and twitter!

We have something for everyone's music tastes and are constantly getting told how good our playlists are.

Hope all is well with your new venture, just over the water.

Dundee, United Kingdom
“Freshly made and delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

I visited this little tea room in the heart of Dundee City Centre on Castle St. I used a Groupon voucher for High Tea as a treat for my Mum and Dad but I will definitely be going back for more.

They do a lovely selection of sandwiches, ciabattas and homemade cakes, fresh soups, salads and tea and coffee. The high tea was particularly good value at £6.50 and included tea or Coffee, sandwiches, cakes and scones all included. It was freshly made and delicious.

They also have a small retail area selling specialist food. The staff were very friendly and the service was excellent. Well done!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank kgmalc
Hi.

Thank so so much for this great review! :)
Dundee, United Kingdom
“fairytale experience in dundee”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

aww my new fav place, what a jewel in dundees crown, felt like i had stepped into alice and wonderland ..... took my neice and my great nephew for afternoon tea, with a groupon voucher, and what a real surprise this was, lovely fresh brewed drinks and a truely delicious trio of trays of homemade delights, nothing was too much trouble for the owner in here (happy birthday btw), we were treated like guests of honour ...... coulda stayed longer x

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank codester1971
Thanks!

It was really lovely to meet you, we have now had a mad hatters tea party in here, you would love it!!
Dundee, United Kingdom
“My new favourite tea room!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

I finally got round to visiting Madigan's today for the first time with a few friends and I can't believe it's taken me this long! It's a beautiful little tea room in the city centre, with very friendly, accommodating staff and a fab array of food, both in the 'shop' and on the menu. We had a cafetiere of lovely coffee and I had a big slice of chocolate fudge cake with ice cream - YUM! and really good value for money! The sandwiches also looked delicious, and the soup smelt amazing, so I'm definitely looking forward to calling in for lunch some time in the near future! Thank you so much Madigan's, you made my day! :)

• Visited February 2013
Thanks for your review!

Such a shame you are too far away to visit these days!!
“awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

Very friendly people, lovely food, great prices and kiddie friendly with toys! Might have found the perfect cafe!

Visited February 2013
Aww thanks!

Lovely to hear we are perfect for you :)