“Back to Cath Rennies”

Cath Rennie's
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Have not been to Caths for some years. Hearing lots of good reports thought we would try it again for a family meal.
The place has changed since our last visit and is much better laid out. Staff were "smiley" and nice, room was warm. Service was about right for a relaxed family meal.
Good choice of dishes and the Inclusive Menu was very good value as the dish price included "Starter, Main Course, Sweet, and a half carafe of wine, or soft drink."
While settling at the table we were presented with a plate of stale bread, a dip, and some butters, sadly the bread was only fit for the birds.
I had the the soup which was OK though a bit on the cold side. For main I had the steak pi that was OK though not the best ever. Portion size was perfect for me, but some young people might find it "less than generous". For sweet had the Knickerbocker Glory. Knickerbocker glory is usualy in a long flute with a long spoon and various layers of fruit/cream etc. This one was a rather abbreviated version in a small glass.
All in all a pleasant family meal, though I dont think we would hurry back. Never the less it was outstanding value for money..............................Phil Joy snr

Date of visit: February 2014

Reviewed February 9, 2014

This has been our second time at Cath Rennies, and happy to say the second mealas good as first. Delicious food, quality service from lovely staff, in relaxing surroundings, and most important, excellent value for money. Thank you.

Date of visit: February 2014
Reviewed February 3, 2014

My partner and I are regular customers at Cath Rennies and there is good reason for this its set in a nice quiet area, we are always given a lovely table with great service. The food is 10/10 quite possibly the best mexican food in Dundee. And it is great value for money.

Date of visit: November 2013
Reviewed January 8, 2014

The food is ok, nothing amazing, but the waiting staff are all useless. We were sat in the corner, I think because we had a baby with us and we seemed to be forgotten about, which I don't understand as it wasn't busy. Cheap food, you get what you pay for.

Date of visit: December 2013
Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

I have heard mixed things about this restaurant so was a bit apprehensive about going. However, I went along on a Saturday evening with my wife and small son. We were greeted by a friendly, helpful young man who showed us to our table.
Once we sat down the waiter went over the options of the Al a carte menu and the all inclusive menu. The variety of choice was good and it was all reasonably priced. My wife and I decided to go for the inclusive menu. I had chilli nachos and my wife had battered mushrooms. Both starters arrived quickly and tasted lovely. They were very in good proportion. For our mains I had tiger prawns, my wife had the burrito and my son had macaroni cheese. Again, the food came out quickly and all 3 dishes tasted really good. The food was fresh and the portions were large. The deserts arrived quickly and were very good, maybe on the slightly smaller side compared to the other dishes. I'd usually expect all courses to be in comparison to each other size wise.
During our time there the staff were very friendly and helpful. They spoke to our son and were very friendly towards him. I appreciated that, I've been to places were staff don't even look at him never mind talk to him.
The only niggle I have is the staff didn't ask if we wanted anymore drinks, they had to be prompted.
Overall, excellent, friendly, warm and inviting place. Food was delicious with good portion sizes (apart from the deserts) would highly recommend.