“Eat Elsewhere!”

Apex City Quay Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 28 Hotels in Dundee
Reviewed December 26, 2005

Myself and my Partner stayed at the apex in dundee as we were doing xmas shopping,the hotel is really shabby from the outside,hard to believe that its only a few years old.we were plesantly surprised when we entered the hotel/reception,the hotel is very modern and fresh,the bedroom that we stayed in overlooked the water,it was clean and fresh and lovely and modern! The only real problem that we had was the food,not at all nice,would not recomend for food.

• Stayed: November 2005
2  Thank Mrandmrsg75
Write a ReviewReviews (3,110)

Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 4, 2005

Stayed here for one night in an Executive Double.
Room was nice, modern, spacious and clean with good sea views. About what you would expect from a 4 star hotel.
Spa was also good and modern and not too busy.

Rate included dinner and breakfast in the Metro Brasserie.
I would recommend giving this a miss and going to one of the buffet restaurants across the street or walking into town and getting a McDonalds.

We booked a table at 8.30pm when confirming the room but did not get seated until 9.15pm as "people were overstaying". When we eventually got seated the waiter handed us the menus and then we did not see anyone for another 15 minutes. We ordered and got our starters. We asked about the wine we ordered but the waiter just walked off.
We sat for another 20 minutes watching the waiters laughing in a huddle by the entrance before the main courses came, cold and obviously been left out for a while. The food itself was mediocre (and of dubious quality). Waited another 15 minutes for the plates to be cleared and decided not to wait around for the dessert menu. I voiced our complaint to the first waitress who made eye contact at the entrance. She said very sorry but they were busy with a wedding party. I explained that there were three waiters who had gone quiet standing behind her and unless they moved at light speed hadn't gone anywhere in the past hour. She offered to take the cost of desserts of our bill!
This hotel has the potential to be a good hotel but the staff either haven't had any training or just don't care.
In short stay here on a room only basis but don't go near the restaurant. There are apparently two restaurants here. The one with the AA rosettes was closed when we were there (a Saturday night).

• Stayed: September 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 21, 2005

If I could give this hotel no points I would. To start off, a group of us checked in during the holidays and the male receptionist was rude and dismissive at check-in. When I spoke to the duty manager in charge about the staff's attitude, the duty manager replied that their receptionist would "never" be rude to a guests, thereby implying that we must be lying!

Things got worse at dinner when I took one bite of the fish and had to send it back as it tasted off. I was the only one in my party of eight who ordered the fish and later that night I got such bad food poisoning that I threw up continuously the entire night (I couldn't even keep down water) and had to go to the local hospital which confirmed I had food poisoning.

The next morning, I spoke to the manager on duty who turned out to also be the food and beverage manager of the hotel. Not only was he unsympathetic but keep insisting that whatever I ate, it was definitely not the fish that made me sick as food poisoning doesn't occur for 24 hours after consumption. I didn't know that he was a medical doctor as well! He didn't believe or wanted to hear that people react to food poisoning in different ways and many people get sick immediately. The F&B manager made me reiterate what I ate in the 24 hours previously. I told him all I had that day was a cup of tea and some biscuits (which would hardly cause food poisoning) before I had the fish dinner at the hotel restaurant.

I finished the conversation insisting that they test the restaurant's fish from the night before and the food and beverage manager said he would give me the results via email a week later. Needlessness to say, he never wrote me. No surprise what those tests would reveal! If anyone wants the name of this F&B manager, let me know.

• Stayed: January 2005, traveled on business