“Happy overall” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Dundee
Sheffield, England
“Happy overall”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

I stayed one night this week on a business trip - my first visit to this hotel. The weather was vile so I didn't venture out in the evening, which meant I tested the hotel facilities out. The room I was given was on the 5th floor - nice view and the room itself was fine but its proximity to the lift made me ask for a room change because it was quickly apparent that the "ding" every time the lift doors opened was going to be really disturbing. Just turn the "ding" noise off! The room was changed with good grace but I had to agree to a "disabled" room as the hotel was full. Note to those who need these rooms that they maintain the same facilities plus adaptions - very good because in some hotels I have seen spartan standards in return for the adaptations. The room was fine and I thought the sleep quality was great; comfy bed and bedding. I was pleased with that aspect. Also happy with the free wifi. I had a swim, a jacuzzi, tried out the steam room and sauna - all good. Dinner was £22 for two courses - food average to good. Breakfast buffet - ditto. It was a bit chaotic but I think I just hit a busy time. Overall it was a better experience than many business nights away I have had. Not out and out luxury but full marks for pleasant staff, good TVs, free Internet, comfy beds and Elemis toiletries. A bit souless and dining experience could be improved but i have seen much much worse and I would happily return - good value for money.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
CQGeneralManager, General Manager at Apex City Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Almatt

Thank you for sharing your experience with fellow travellers. I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Hopefully, we will have some sunshine in Dundee during your next visit so that you can enjoy the city and views over the Quay.

Stuart Grant - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (521)
East Kilbride, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

The girls and I have just spent the weekend at the Apex for some well deserved R&R and some pampering in the Spa. Great weekend enjoyed by all from the great service, to lovely food and fab cocktails. The Spa was very relaxing and enjoyable and we will certainly recommend this hotel to our friends.

Room Tip: Ask for a Deluxe room, there is enough space for your own private party.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank bonnie65fraser
Dear bonnie65fraser,

Thank you for your fantastic feedback.

Our hotel has an incredible amount to offer and I was pleased to hear that you were able to appreciate this on your relaxing stay with us.

Our team appreciates your review, as we strive for excellence in comfort and service and are delighted to read such a positive response.

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

I don't want to be mean to the Apex, I really don't! With my daughter living in and around Dundee for eight years, I have stayed in the Apex often and its always been a bit of a treat It has previously been part of our celebrations on her graduation and I was really looking forward to its charms again but (sorry Apex) I have to say I was disappointed last weekend. Firstly, the room was lovely. Two Queen beds in a standard twin, refurbished since we were last there and I like the look Also, lovely view of the quay and my favourite rusty lighthouse boat still the same. But the food in the restaurant that night was only ok, overpriced to be honest for the quantity and quality of the food (my mum's duck was tough and chewy, my daughter's goats cheese was small balls which she thought was tofu because it was so bland, both felt the food was not up to standard). I decided it wasn't a problem, staff were friendly and I wasn't going to let a substandard meal spoil the short time we had in dundee. I didn't say anything. I should have but just wanted a relaxed meal (especially for my mum who is 76 and hates people complaining) so I didn't bring it to the hotel's attention. Next morning at breakfast I did notice that there were less breads and pastries available (where has the big carousel gone that used to have all the breads and continental pastries, a wide variety, near the cooked food?). Staff were really busy. We were shown to a table. We realised after a while (when we wanted the items) that there was no milk, no jams, the butter had not been replenished from the last people (we had two pats between three). I was getting a little fed up by this time. It's not that staff won't sort stuff out if you ask but you shouldn't really have to ask.

Anyway, we had a nice sleep in a lovely room, came down to breakfast the next morning and were faced by a queue because there had been a big function the night before. For the first time, we found ourselves asked to wait for breakfast because there was no room. So, we waited about 10 minutes and it's not the end of the world to do that honestly. We trooped into breakfast and then.. I had kind of had enough.. I picked up some fruit from the breakfast buffet and I should have known from the blackened dodgy look of the bananas on the display, but honestly, the apple was rotten with big black holes on the top, the tangerine was bruised, how did this get past anyone whose responsibility it is to put fruit on a display? Even if you don't think people will eat it?

Overall, Apex I love you very much but sort out your kitchen. The restaurant food is overpriced for what it is. At breakfast, particularly poor. I know there is a recession and so I accept the loss of the variety of breads and pastries that were there before but I'd expect a four star kitchen to not leave blackened bananas and obviously rotten apples on the buffet. Your staff are lovely, your refurbished rooms are lovely, you are surrounded by the beauty of Dundee Quay and if you look to the right from my room you can see the sea. (Really enjoyed my swim, sauna and steam room by the way.. I love the Apex). Please help :-)

As I said, I dont' want to be mean to you but sort it out before I come again, ok?

• 4 of 5 bubbles
CQGeneralManager, General Manager at Apex City Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear roseheather

Thank you for your comments, and I am truly sorry to read of the shortfall in standards that you have experienced on your recent stay with us. Please rest assured that this does not reflect at all in our normal high standards of service. I have liaised with both my Head Chef and Food & Beverage Manager about this, in order to avoid any further occurrence.

Thank you again for your constructive feedback and I do look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Dundee, where you will once again experience the high standards that you have come to expect from us.

Yours sincerely,
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

The hotel is ideally located within walking distance of the city centre. It spacious, clean and friendly. My adapted room was on the first floor accessible by lift, both of which were briefly out of order on the morning of departure. Also, the fire evacuation procedures don't give alternative instructions for disabled customers, in a disabled room.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
CQGeneralManager, General Manager at Apex City Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Shirley T,

Thank you for posting your feedback on this web site following your stay with us.

We value the feedback that we receive from our guests and we are pleased that you’re found our hotel well located, our rooms clean and that our team were friendly. One of our lifts was temporarily out of order which was later fixed which did slow down the movement of our guests. I was sorry to hear that evacuation procedures were not readily available which I will immediately address.

Thank you again and I do hope that you will visit us again on your next trip to Dundee.

scotland GB
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

Dinner was okay but menu doesn't change every night so can be boring!
Pillows are far too soft, very uncomfortable, didn't sleep much in 3 nights - take your own.

Really good situation & can walk into Dundee centre in 5minutes.

Room Tip: Deluxe corner room was very nice, bright & airy but a bit on the small side.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
CQGeneralManager, General Manager at Apex City Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear returntravellers,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review, customer feedback is very important to us and one of the best ways for us to continually monitor and improve our customer service.

I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy a good night’s sleep, during your stay with us. We are always happy to exchange pillows for one that suits the guest and aids a good night’s sleep. We have quite an extensive menu and are always happy to offer alternatives to our guests, with the
abundance of fresh ingredients that are available to the kitchen.

I do hope that you will come back to stay with us again in the future.

Glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

Great hotel with great location. Yu spa is fab!! Love the Elemis products in the bedrooms and public loos... Food was great too and the brekki is great... all in all a fab hotel. Definitely be back! Ps love the wee duck in the bathrooms ... Nice wee touch!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Bishopbriggsgirl
Dear Bishopbriggsgirl,

It is always a pleasure to read that our guests have enjoyed their stay with us at the Apex Hotel Dundee.

I have an exception team of staff, who pride themselves in providing excellent customer service, and I am pleased to hear that they took good care of you.

I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon, to the Apex Hotel Dundee.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

my family and I had an overnight stay at the Apex before relocating down south.

The hotel itself doesnt look much from the outside but inside it is very well presented.

As we were setting off before breakfast was served we opted for room service. It arrived exactly when requested and the food was very good. There was no limit to how much we ordered as as we have fussy eater (kids) we ordered quite a lot. I can not fault the food.

The room was very spacious with 2 king size beds. My only grumble is the rooms were so hot. I didnt sleep very well due to this although the beds were very comfortable.

Bathroom was huge but the shower was disappointing. I had varied hot and cold water but may have been down to the time. On the plus side the little orange rubber duck to take away is a lovely touch for the kids. Reception staff even gave us another as we have two boys.

The staff were very friendly and cheerful. Most helpful and polite.

All in all the hotel was good. im not sure i would pay the price to come back but i was satisfied with our stay.

Room Tip: high levels have a lovely view of the Tay.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Louiset270982

Thank you very much for taking the time to your review your stay with us. While I am pleased to hear about the positive aspects of your stay such as our proficient service and spacious and comfortable rooms, I was sorry to hear that your room was a little too warm. The hotel was constructed in 2003 and our rooms do not include air conditioning. Customer feedback is very important to us and one of the best ways for us to continually monitor and improve our customer service.

I do hope that you will come back to stay with us again in the future, when returning to Dundee.

Stuart Grant - General manager