“When in Dundee...” 4 of 5 bubbles

Linlithgow, United Kingdom
“When in Dundee...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

Apex Dundee

Have stayed at the apex several times now, and cannot fault the service and quality.

Although recently the hotel does seem to be showing signs of ageing, the overall experience cannot be faulted.

The rooms are extremely comfortable with super king beds, solid wood furniture and all of the extras you would normally associate with a 4 star hotel. It is also located on the quay which happens to be excellent for the train, bus, car or even airport (yes, Dundee has an Airport!)

The rooms feature all of the above plus full height and width windows, wifi, DVD in some rooms and luxury bathrooms.  Every room has a complimentary rubber duck too which is a nice touch!

The spa is excellent with the jacuzzi styles in old whisky mash tun enclosures. Although these are frequently less than warm... It also includes a sauna and steam room which tick the boxes but are nothing spectacular considering the design of the rest of the building and spa...

The bar and restaurant are both good, with prices reflecting up market pub prices rather than 4* hotel prices.  The cocktail menu seems to have suffered over the years, but there are still some gems on there if yo get the right bar person!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
CQGeneralManager, General Manager at Apex City Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear Happy_Wanderer_Alba

I was delighted to read your very kind comments following your stay with your friends at the Apex hotel Dundee.

We value the feedback that we receive from our guests and we are so pleased that your visit met your expectations.

We looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind Regards - Stuart Grant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (523)
dundee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

A friend and I stay here several times each year. We are both middle aged and single
stay within twenty miles of dundee and use the hotel as an escape from busy lives.
The hotel staff are friendly and helpful the food is good if limited in choice and the rooms spacious and clean. Only criticism is Spa staff pushy insisting on payment before treatment I declnied citing
that I might not be wholly satisfied. Having said that we have booked for February already

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Izzzie

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at The Apex Hotel and may I say how much we appreciate your positive comments following your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Doune, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

Our visit to Dundee was to attend a Concert in the Caird Hall,the Hotel was a five minute walk from this venue, first bonus point.
Car parking was more than adequate and carried no charge.
Reception was friendly and helpful
The restaurant staff were attentive and dealt with a small problem swiftly and in a friendly manner, top marks to them and whoever trained them.
The night porter promptly changed a down filled pillow ( my wife is allergic to duck or goose down) in the early hours of the morning when my wife reacted,this was replaced with a micro fibre filled item,again we dealt with in a friendly and efficient way.
We stayed in one of the executive rooms which was comfortable clean and well appointed.
We look forward to using the Apex again.
J Kilby

Room Tip: Ask for room over looking dock, an executive room gets this automatically
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CQGeneralManager, General Manager at Apex City Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear John K,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at our hotel and may I say how much we appreciate your positive comments.

We value the feedback that we receive from our guests and we are so pleased that you had an excellent stay from the lovely rooms to the friendliness and professionalism of our staff.

Your appreciation of our service and attention to detail will be shared with our team as they are always delighted to learn of our guests' experiences.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Apex Dundee on your next trip.

Burntisland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

Stayed as attending a retirement do at the hotel, wife booked a delux room which was very nice, comfy bed and very clean although we didn't spend much time there as the bar staff were very helpful!. Definately the best hotel in dundee.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Graham D

Thank you for very much for reviewing our hotel. Your commendation of the Apex Dundee is very much appreciated, and I am delighted that you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us. I am particularly pleased to learn that the helpful and warm nature of our team was so apparent during your visit.

I do hope to welcome you back in near future.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

Went back to Apex Dundee in November for a night our annual christmas shopping trip and can't fault it hence why we go back year after year.
Beautiful Rooms although this time we did have a smaller room than we normally get. Which ment myself and my friend had to share a double bed even though we had requested a twin.
But can't fault it for cleanliness and comfort.
We did our usual and ate all our meals for the whole weekend in the restaurant.
and yet again we were never disappointed. I have a number of food allergies and I always warn the kitchen in advance of my stay and they make me up special menus which I choose in advance. Nigel in the Kitchen is a gem he always looks after me and the meals are amazing.
Perfect location close to the shops and the Train and Bus Station. There is also a very large carpark.
SO recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CQGeneralManager, General Manager at Apex City Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Dear PCEYES,

Thank you so much for this wonderful review of your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay here in Dundee. It is also very pleasing to read your kind comments regarding our staff, especially Nigel our Sous Chef.

Thank you once again and I do hope we can welcome you back when you are next in Dundee.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel about 12-15 in the last year and each time I have stayed it has been fantastic. I look for modern, good food, free wifi, clean room and a friendly service. The Apex dundee has certainly delivered a great customer experience. Would definitely use again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Adam M,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a kind review following your recent stay at the Apex Dundee. I was delighted to read your comments and your recognition of our consistent service and your great customer experience.

I look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.

Kind regards,
Falkirk, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

My husband,daughter and I booked two nights stay dinner, bed and breakfast at this hotel.My husband and I were staying in the deluxe room over looking the quay. It is a lovely spacious room with great views. The room was very clean and decorated lovely.Our daughter's room was upgraded on the same floor as us. It also was lovely decorated and spacious. The staff were very helpful and friendly.My husband and I have stayed a few times at this Hotel and always enjoyed it.We had booked our evening meal, which was nice and the restaurant staff helpful. Next morning we had breakfast which was plenty to pick from before heading out to the shops.My husband and I did a few hours shopping,while our daughter was catching up with old school friends who are now at uni here.After our shopping we went back to the hotel's lounge to have a drink before getting ready for dinner.We had picked the Christmas menu,our first of the festive period.There was plenty to pick from but we all went for turkey, with a starter and sweet to follow. Good portions, served warm with a lovely bottle of wine.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear lynn p

Thank you for taking the time to leave such kind feedback of your family's recent stay at The Apex Dundee. I am delighted to read how much you all enjoyed the hotel and service and it will be a pleasure to share this kind feedback with the team here.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Dundee.