“Excellent central location”

Apex City Quay Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 28 Hotels in Dundee
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Had a very relaxing stay.Spa and gym facilities were excellent and staff were very helpfull.Central location with retail and dining facilities within a two minute walk.One downside would be the showers, although excellent in the Spa and pool,the room showers were a bit weak with little or no pressure,they were still up to the job though.Checkout times at 12 were very good and Brunch(as it was New Years Day)was served up to 11.30

• Stayed: December 2012
CQGeneralManager, General Manager at Apex City Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Dear kevagent,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at New Year and may I say how much we appreciate your positive comments.

As you conveyed in your review, The Apex Hotel is well located in the centre of Dundee with many of Dundee’s attractions and retail areas on its doorstep. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the facilities in Yu Spa, and I will address the issue with regards to the water pressure in the shower cubicles.

Your appreciation of our helpful service will be shared with our team at the hotel as they are always delighted to learn of our guests' experiences.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next trip to Dundee.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

stayed again with family for one night and as last time this hotel is as good as ever.Really relaxing,great room and nothing is too much trouble. hotel was very busy but check in,breakfast and check out service were all done with no delays. I will always stay here when I'm in Dundee - it really is just a great hotel of its class.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Dear radley05

I was delighted to read your very kind comments following your stay with your family at the Apex hotel Dundee.

We value the feedback that we receive from our guests and we are so pleased that your visit met your expectations from the accommodation and breakfast to the efficient check in and out.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

A great stay, lovely hotel, the staff were very helpful, we stayed 3 days over christmas,and enjoyed every minute of it, Would definately recommend to anyone.. The rooms had everything , and were clean and roomy. Nothing was to much trouble, sgtaff went oujt of their way to help. Well done.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Dear sandra m b

I was delighted to read that you had a great stay with us over Christmas.

We value the feedback that we receive from our guests and we are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our clean and roomy accommodation and that our team were helpful throughout your stay. I will certainly be sharing your kind comments with them.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Apex Dundee.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Another great stay in this very clean modern 4* hotel with pleasant helpful staff, breakfast also great in the hotel restaurant with a good selection of food on offer.
Big thanks to hotel manager Stuart for assisting in our arrangements to stay this time.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
CQGeneralManager, General Manager at Apex City Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2012

Dear NickJMurray,

I was delighted to read that you had a faultless stay while staying with us in Dundee.
We value the feedback that we receive from our guests and we are so pleased to hear that you found our team very helpful and that you enjoyed our breakfast offering. I will certainly be sharing your kind comments with my team.

Thank you again and if I can be of assistant in the future, then please do not hesitate to contact me, and looking forward to welcoming you back on your next trip from Aberdeen.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

This was a Christmas party night for my work. I and some girlfriends had booked a suite, so I arrived in the morning, enjoyed a beautiful latte and used the wifi. Our suite was lovely, service was outstanding...during the day and at our Party Night. The views from our suite were fabulous. Food was lovely and the bar staff were well mannered! :) Will definitely be back!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Dear DeezyB

I was delighted to read your very kind comments following your stay with your friends at the Apex hotel Dundee for your Christmas party.

We value the feedback that we receive from our guests and we are so pleased that your visit met your expectations from the accommodation and meals at the hotel to the friendliness and professionalism of our staff.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind Regards - Stuart Grant

Reviewed December 23, 2012

We stayed here on 8th Dec to celebrate my husbands 65th birthday. The hotel is fabulous , the food excellent and the spa facilities second to none.
However our stay was completely spoilt by revellers from the christmas party night gathering outside till all hours. Unfortunately our room was directly above one of the entrances where people stood to either have a cigarette of wait for a taxi. This went on until around 5 am resulting in us not getting a wink of sleep. I complained to the receptionist upon leaving and she said she would let the manager know. I said at the time it might be a good idea to let guests know when booking that there are party nights because we would have stayed somewhere else had we known. We had also ordered a morning paper which we never got . I mentioned this when checking out but the receptionist seemed uninterested and after apologising said that we hadn't been charged for it ! I can't fault the hotel itself but I do think it should be made clear that bookings in December may be disrupted by parties

Room Tip: rooms away from the main entrances would be quieter

Dear escothesa

Thank you very much for taking the time to your review your stay with us, and I was very pleased to read that you found the hotel fabulous , the food excellent and the spa facilities second to none.

I was however sorry to hear that you were disturbed during the night by revellers attending one of our Christmas party nights. We do make a point of allocating guests who are not attending events on higher floors and away from the main access points and I am sorry that we were not able to do this on this occasion. I have placed a trace on your profile to ensure that this happens in the future.

Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back for another fabulous stay.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

We visit the apex in Dundee on a regular basis. This was our yearly christmas shopping trip. We usually stay in one of the superior rooms but upgraded to the master suite. I was a little disappointed in the suite. It was clean and of a decent size. I personally thought the things that let it down considering it was a suite was the towels and toiletries in the main bathroom. I would have expected a better quality of towels and toiletries. The ones in the bathroom were the same as in the basic rooms. Also there were no toiletries in the toilet in the main living area.

In the bedroom part of the suite there was no mirror. The only mirrors were in the bathroom and toilet. This made it a bit difficult to check my dress was ok... Usually there's a full length mirror in hotel rooms. Also there was no mirror for drying your hair on the dressing table. I had to pull the hair dryer to the door of the bathroom, the same applied to using straighteners to check my hair was styled properly. I had to apply my make up in the bathroom instead of at the dressing table.

When checking in the room wasn't ready. We had arrived early. The girl on reception took our bags, checked us in and informed us we could be in the room in 20 mins. As we were going shopping we told her there was no rush and would return in a couple of hours. However, when we did go into our room there were a few items missing. There was no dressing gowns, slippers, water or snacks in the room. This happened to us the last time we stayed there too. A quick call to reception sorted it out instantly and we were given an apology. The only thing that worries me is, I know if you take dressing gowns from hotels you a charged a fee. I worried that if I hadn't called reception we may have been charged for something that was not in the room in the first place.

Apart from these things I would definitely recommend staying at the apex. The rooms are spotless, the food awesome and breakfasts one of the best we have had in a hotel. The free spa is always a great hit with my husband too.

Room Tip: Personally I would go for the superior rooms every time. If you can get one on the corner then you h...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
CQGeneralManager, General Manager at Apex City Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2012

Dear karenclan,

I would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding your stay and for your continuous recommendation for staying at our hotel. I was very pleased to read that you find our rooms spotless, our food is awesome and that breakfasts are one of the best that you have had in any hotel.

I was however, disappointed to read your comments regarding our suites and that the upgraded amenities were not provided. I have discussed this with my housekeeper and would like to apologise for the shortfalls that you experienced. I have taken a note of your comments with regards to the layout in our Suites and we will look to improve this in January.

Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back for your Christmas shopping trip next year.