“Great Location and Facilities”

Apex City Quay Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 28 Hotels in Dundee
Reviewed November 29, 2012

A colleague and I stayed here for two nights in November, a great location is the first positive. Very easy access both in terms of getting to the hotel in Dundee but also for the city of Dundee once you have arrived. The hotel rooms were spotless and well appointed, the gym and pool were great and the staff were very professional and polite. A great place to stay, thank you.

Room Tip: The views out of both sides of the hotel are great, either looking up the river or over the harbour...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
CQGeneralManager, General Manager at Apex City Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Dear Mark-Horsham-181

Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay at the Apex Dundee, and I was delighted to read that you had a fantastic time at our hotel.

Thank you again, and I hope that we'll be able to welcome you back the next time that you are visiting Dundee.

Stuart Grant - General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,118)

Reviewed November 25, 2012

Our 4th stay at this hotel, really like it. All Apex hotels are lovely tried them all. We arrived Sat afternoon 24th Nov, was checked in quickly, reception staff very friendly. We recieved a £10 voucher which was a nice surprise.
Rooms are spacious and clean, bathrooms spotless.
We were on the 5th floor this time and looked over the Quay which was nice.
had a lovely lunch in the bar area, really nice relaxed atmosphere with a great buzz, lots of couples and groups of ladies mainly. Good drinks and efficient service.
There was a ball on the evening, busy! so struggled to get a seat. They moved through to the function suite pretty quickly so that was fine :) Pipes being played at the door, enjoyed listening to that.
A short walk to pubs, restaurants and shopping.
We slept really well, comfy large bed with 2 pillows each and lovely duvet
Breakfast was very good, always a large selection of hot and cold, both Buffet.
my sausage, bacon and egg was a bit on the cool side :( My only complaint.
Overall a lovely stay and we will defo return. Bought a hotel gift voucher for my mothers christmas, sure she will be delighted.

Room Tip: Try and avoid rooms looking over the car park, the Quay view rooms are lovely.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
CQGeneralManager, General Manager at Apex City Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Dear JoseAberdeen

It was a great pleasure to read your review which expressed your stay at The Apex Dundee and all it has to offer.

We are very proud of our high level of service and receiving such positive feedback inspires and motivates us to maintain such high standards.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Apex Dundee in the future.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Only stayed one night in August before going on to Glasgow before the Tattoo on the first night in Edinburg this year but arrived early on the Thursday and went to Broughty Ferry to show a friend around.
The staff were first class, the food very good and I will return before Christmas.
Truly a great hotel to stay at and really enjoy.

Room Tip: Right by the docks and river. A quiet area in walking distance of the town and shops. I like Dundee...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
CQGeneralManager, General Manager at Apex City Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Dear Robert J

Thank you very much for your kind comments following your stay with us.

I will ensure that your feedback is shared with the team at the hotel, who do enjoy hearing from our guests.

Thank you again, and I hope that we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

I stayed at the Apex in Dundee on business on the weekend of the 17/18th November. I usually stay at other hotels but opted for Apex due to price and availability.

The hotel is modern, clean and spacious. There is a good atmosphere in the lounge/bar area. The staff are very friendly. Free wifi is excellent, I wish other hotels did this. My room was large, double-bed, flat screen TV. There was a separate bath and shower, good layout and very spacious. The Elemis samples in the bathroom are a nice touch. Incidentally, the spa on the ground floor seems very very popular so book in advance, I am sure my wife would use it.

Breakfast was excellent, and good value for money. I had to wait to be seated, I could not see a member of staff as I was a bit grumpy on a Sunday morning. In all fairness, she treated me very well and did not react to my bad manner. I also need to praise the floor manager, who remembered when I asked for some ketchup. She brought it to my table; I had thought she had just forgotten because the restaurant/breakfast was so busy. Nice touch, thanks.

Checkout was simple.

I will be returning. Thanks.

1  Thank freed0m
CQGeneralManager, General Manager at Apex City Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2012

Dear freed0m

I was delighted to read that you had an amazing time while staying with us in Dundee.

We value the feedback that we receive from our guests and we are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed stay. I will certainly be sharing your kind comments with my team.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Apex Dundee.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

Booked a spa day here with a friend. The treatments were fantastic and thank you to the therapists who were both fabulous. The staff were welcoming and the wet area of the spa was great and we had a lovely visit here. Would recommend.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Elaine L

Thank you for the marvellous review we are all delighted that you had a fantastic time at the Apex Dundee and we do hope you will be back soon.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

By the riverside, in the city of jute, jam and journalism, sits the Apex City Quay hotel, a glass and steel Soviet-style monolith.

The rather functional, Eastern European design cues continue once inside, with the very high main public lounge/bar area, tiled and producing a noisy, resonant atmosphere. The hotel boasts themed artwork of local hero, Dennis the Menace, acknowledging D C Thompson, Dundee publishers of The Beano.

After a difficult, convoluted flight from London City to Dundee, two failed attempts at landing in very low cloud and subsequent diversion to Edinburgh, bonus points to CityJet for trying to land, and for the usual, complimentary in-flight service of drinks, sandwich, nibbles and chocolate. No points to Servisair ground handling at Edinburgh airport for promising coach transfer back to Dundee within 35 minutes of our arrival that eventually materialised over one and a half hours later. Having promised assistance on arrival at Dundee airport, the lights were out and the airport closed.

Arriving just before 10pm, the friendly reception and bar staff were welcoming, helpful and informative. The general style of the hotel is a little dated, with lots of glass and pale wood. This theme is carried through to the bedrooms, which are, however of a generous size, with a large comfortable bed and very large LCD TV. DVDs are available to rent. The room had no mini-bar or fridge, but offered tea and coffee facilities and complimentary bottled water. The room has efficient heating, but no air-conditioning. (Would this ever be necessary in Dundee?). My standard room was cleaned although not vacuumed each day. For the business traveller, free Wi-Fi and free parking and are a welcome, unexpected nod to old-fashioned customer service.

For this grade of hotel, the bathroom was large with both a bath and walk-in shower. In the otherwise spotlessly clean bathroom, it was disappointing to find black mould around the shower base that a quick spray with bleach would have cured.

The room service breakfast arrived at the appointed time, although the sausages were bland and the poached egg cold and solid. On day one, the eggs failed ‘My Test’ of any room service breakfast to get hot, soft poached eggs from kitchen to bedroom. On day two, the eggs were perfect, soft and hot, so a bit unpredictable. In this part of the country, where some of the best sausages and bacon are available from award-winning local butchers (e.g. H W Irvine in Blairgowrie), it is a pity to offer what seemed to be the usual, unexciting sausages and bacon.

Overall, a rather dated, but friendly and efficient business hotel, with well-trained and helpful staff throughout. Very good service in a building that will look more out of place as the major city redevelopment progresses in Dundee.

1  Thank angusM25

Dear angusM25

Thank you for your detailed and extensive review and I appreciate the time and effort taken. We value your feedback and have taken all on board.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Apex Hotel Dundee.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Very nice hotel, currently surrounded by major road and building works which will in time leave it in a great location close to major attractions in Dundee. Very comfortable room with all the details that you would expect. Free WiFi worked fine on my iPad but proved impossible on a laptop - this may need some attention.
Breakfast was very good and the bar was well attended in the evening. Free parking using a token system. I will stay again when in town.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business