“Great Stay on the Tay!”

Ranked #2 of 28 Hotels in Dundee
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Great Stay on the Tay!”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

My family and I stayed overnight on a Saturday in September 2012, we had just attended the RAF Leuchars airshow and decided that we would stay in Dundee overnight as a birthday treat for my wife and a wee adventure for my son aged 11.
We arrived at the Apex City Quay Hotel around 5pm and were greeted with very friendly and courteous staff on the desk, when asked why we were staying, I said that it was my wifes birthday and we were promptly given a voucher for free drinks at the bar, very welcoming that was.
We found the hotel to be very clean and well presented, extremely friendly and helpful staff and a lovely room.
Our family room overlooked part of the old docks and berthed in the docks is the old 19th century Royal Navy frigate Unicorn and the old Light ship from days gone by. We had a great view over the docks and the river beyond.
Only a couple of minutes walk from the city centre we ventured out and had a meal at the nearby Mexican restaurant "Rancho Pancho" - great meal, would highly recommend this place.
Having got a great nights sleep despite the hotel being very busy hosting a wedding the night before, we ventured down for breakfast, again we were greeted by very friendly and happy staff who ensured that our breakfast experience was great. Breakfast was in teh form of a huge buffet style offering with everything you could wish for, cereals, toast, croissants, muffins, cooked bacon, sausage, etc etc etc etc. It really was good and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Then we went for a stroll along the quayside and visited the old frigate Unicorn, this turned out to be a real interesting ship and is well worth a visit.
We then headed back to the hotel and picked up the car (we had already checked out).
We would definetly stay here again and would recommend highly.
The staff made the place, very friendly, welcoming and helpful.

Well done to the Apex City Quay Hotel

Room Tip: Get a dock side view room
1 Thank craigcon
CQGeneralManager, General Manager at Apex City Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear craigcon

Thank you very much for your kind comments on your stay with us and I was pleased to read that your family enjoyed their stay with us. I will especially ensure I share them with the team at the hotel. I am also happy that you enjoyed your breakfast, the most important meal of the day!

Thank you again, and I hope that we can welcome you back soon.

Kind Regards,
Stuart Grant - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (542)
Aberdeen, Scotland
Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

Great staff - good location and free parking. Also having the pool and spa is a bonus. We stayed one night in a family room with breakfast. Room was huge and facilities were great. Easy access to shops and city centre. There are some road works to navigate but it's easier from the apex than the Hilton up the road.

• Stayed August 2012
Dear LynneM71

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in Dundee.

Kind regards
Larne, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights as part of a wedding party recently. Initially I was unsure of the location and the outside appearance of the hotel as it is just off a busy road and does not have the obvious look of an elegant hotel. However, once you go inside it is beautifully presented and laid out. The check in staff are friendly and efficiant and the room we had was fantastic, a great size and spotlessly clean. The only down side to this hotel and it's one that maybe not everyone would have had, but the barstaff on duty when we were there were somewhat aloof and one young member of staff was actively fishing for tips comstantly from everyone in our party!!. It was a bit uncomfortable and embarasing for us. As I say not everyone would probibly face this but it did take the gloss of our stay slightly. Otherwise I could not fault this hotel and I would consider it if I was visiting Dundee again in the future.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank johnhshannon
CQGeneralManager, General Manager at Apex City Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear johnhshannon
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at The Apex Dundee and may I say how much we appreciate your positive comments.

As you conveyed in your review, our hotel is beautifully presented and well laid out, with fantastic rooms. I was sorry to hear about the actions of one of our team members which I have discussed with the bar team. This level of behaviour is not accepted, and I do hope that you can see that it is not indicative of the usual high standards that our guests usually experience.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Apex Dundee in the future

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2012

the hotel itself is good near town shops and resaurants,
the breakfast is good they have suppliments on the menu but were not avalible when we were there. the staff are a bit disorginised, we never ate dinner in the restaurant but we had a bar lunch witch was ok ., the rooms are big and comfortable. as i say not a bad hotel but we have stayed in better run 4star hotels. over all enjoyed our stay

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
CQGeneralManager, General Manager at Apex City Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
Dear grm2445,

I would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding the over-all enjoyment of your stay, in particular your comments on our rooms and location.

I was however, disappointed to read your comments regarding your experience at breakfast time. Whist the majority of diners provide excellent feedback, I was sorry to hear that supplemented dishes were not available and that the team looked to be disorganised, and we take comments regarding this very seriously.

I would be extremely keen to discuss your experience further and would invite you to contact me personally at the hotel on 01382-202-404 to discuss your experience and to further and restore your confidence in dining at the Apex Dundee.

Yours sincerely,
Snellville, Georgia
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Overall a very good choice for Dundee business travel. The room was nice and clean and the decor is very nice. The breakfast buffet is fairly limited but since I don't need much I have no complaint. It may sound strange but my only issue with the hotel is the lack of a shower curtain in the bathroom. It is clearly a "design element" but it is just flat out annoying. I know there is a towel for the floor but why do I have to worry about that?

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
CQGeneralManager, General Manager at Apex City Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear hlsteve

Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay at the Apex Dundee, and I was pleased to read that over-all you have an enjoyable stay with us. All of our showers are designed with a glass screen and replacing with a curtain is not an option.

Thank you again, and I do hope that we'll be able to welcome you back to our hotel again one day.

Fife
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I attended a workshop there the other day. Close to the train station,about a five minute walk. Staff very welcoming and helpful. Meeting room was very modern. I didn't organise it, only attending. I would certainly give it consideration if I was organising corporate events.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Allister1960

I was delighted to read your review following your attendance at a recent event. We value the feedback that we receive from our guests and we are so pleased that your visit met your expectations.

Should you be in a position to organise a future event do get in touch with me and I would be delighted to discuss your requirements.

Northern Ireland
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We spent one night at this hotel while visiting Dundee University with our son. The hotel reception was clean and modern and the check in staff were exceptional. Our family room was a good size with views of Dundee quay. Unexpected bonus in bathroom - bath and separate shower - usually only found in 5 star!!
We chose to eat in the town centre but were bitterly disappointed!! On return to the hotel the restaurant was buzzing and we regretted not eating three. Had a pleasant glass of red - very acceptable wine list with reasonable prices.
Breakfast next morning was also excellent - really nothing to complain about! Staff throughout our stay were ' naturally exceptional'. If our son manages to get the grades for Dundee this well definitely be our stay of choice!

Dear 577Nicola

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at our hotel and may I say how much we appreciate your positive comments.

We value the feedback that we receive from our guests and we are so pleased that you had an excellent stay from the lovely rooms and excellent food at the hotel to the friendliness and professionalism of our staff.

Your appreciation of our service and attention to detail will be shared with our team as they are always delighted to learn of our guests' experiences.

I do hope that you son got his grades and that we will be welcoming you back to the hotel the next time that you are visiting him in Dundee.