“not bad hotel but could be better”

Apex City Quay Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 28 Hotels in Dundee
London, United Kingdom
“not bad hotel but could be better”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

the hotel itself is good near town shops and resaurants,
the breakfast is good they have suppliments on the menu but were not avalible when we were there. the staff are a bit disorginised, we never ate dinner in the restaurant but we had a bar lunch witch was ok ., the rooms are big and comfortable. as i say not a bad hotel but we have stayed in better run 4star hotels. over all enjoyed our stay

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
CQGeneralManager, General Manager at Apex City Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
Dear grm2445,

I would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding the over-all enjoyment of your stay, in particular your comments on our rooms and location.

I was however, disappointed to read your comments regarding your experience at breakfast time. Whist the majority of diners provide excellent feedback, I was sorry to hear that supplemented dishes were not available and that the team looked to be disorganised, and we take comments regarding this very seriously.

I would be extremely keen to discuss your experience further and would invite you to contact me personally at the hotel on 01382-202-404 to discuss your experience and to further and restore your confidence in dining at the Apex Dundee.

Yours sincerely,
Stuart Grant - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (530)
Snellville, Georgia
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Overall a very good choice for Dundee business travel. The room was nice and clean and the decor is very nice. The breakfast buffet is fairly limited but since I don't need much I have no complaint. It may sound strange but my only issue with the hotel is the lack of a shower curtain in the bathroom. It is clearly a "design element" but it is just flat out annoying. I know there is a towel for the floor but why do I have to worry about that?

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
CQGeneralManager, General Manager at Apex City Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear hlsteve

Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay at the Apex Dundee, and I was pleased to read that over-all you have an enjoyable stay with us. All of our showers are designed with a glass screen and replacing with a curtain is not an option.

Thank you again, and I do hope that we'll be able to welcome you back to our hotel again one day.

Fife
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I attended a workshop there the other day. Close to the train station,about a five minute walk. Staff very welcoming and helpful. Meeting room was very modern. I didn't organise it, only attending. I would certainly give it consideration if I was organising corporate events.

Dear Allister1960

I was delighted to read your review following your attendance at a recent event. We value the feedback that we receive from our guests and we are so pleased that your visit met your expectations.

Should you be in a position to organise a future event do get in touch with me and I would be delighted to discuss your requirements.

Northern Ireland
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We spent one night at this hotel while visiting Dundee University with our son. The hotel reception was clean and modern and the check in staff were exceptional. Our family room was a good size with views of Dundee quay. Unexpected bonus in bathroom - bath and separate shower - usually only found in 5 star!!
We chose to eat in the town centre but were bitterly disappointed!! On return to the hotel the restaurant was buzzing and we regretted not eating three. Had a pleasant glass of red - very acceptable wine list with reasonable prices.
Breakfast next morning was also excellent - really nothing to complain about! Staff throughout our stay were ' naturally exceptional'. If our son manages to get the grades for Dundee this well definitely be our stay of choice!

Dear 577Nicola

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at our hotel and may I say how much we appreciate your positive comments.

We value the feedback that we receive from our guests and we are so pleased that you had an excellent stay from the lovely rooms and excellent food at the hotel to the friendliness and professionalism of our staff.

Your appreciation of our service and attention to detail will be shared with our team as they are always delighted to learn of our guests' experiences.

I do hope that you son got his grades and that we will be welcoming you back to the hotel the next time that you are visiting him in Dundee.

London
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We were very pleased with our stay of 2 nights. The room was comfortable. It had a lovely view over the Tay, only to be seen when standing at the smallish window. Excellent bed, particularly enjoyed the quality of the duvet and the pillows. Absolutely first class. Good breakfast and dinner. Young staff, doing their best, very helpful and pleasant. A good choice for a stay in Dundee

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view over the Tay, the higher the floor the better.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
CQGeneralManager, General Manager at Apex City Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear VictoriaSW1

Thank you for your comments following your stay with us.

We value the feedback that we receive from our guests and we are so pleased that your visit met your expectations from the accommodation to dinner and breakfast in Metro Restaurant. I was sorry to hear that you found our windows a little small, but all of our windows are floor to ceiling in size.

Thank you again for your comments and we are looking forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Dundee.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Somewhat tired rooms needing some attention to chips and dents and rucks in the carpet. Beds are really hard and not really comfortable. Generally clean but only the most basic of toiletries provided. No room safe and security lock on door did not appear to do anything. Light over the bed worked intermittently. Sleep quality was poor as rooms hot and stuffy as there was heating but no cooling and noise outside prevented leaving the window open. Both nights we were disturbed until about 2am by noise in the corridor, doors slamming and a loud gathering in an adjacent room, so not a restful experience. Further disappointment was the spa being fully booked the whole time of our stay even though we tried to book a few days before and kids under 16 can only swim at restricted times. The facility appears to be primarily for the gym members rather than visiting guests. On the positive side the buffet breakfast was good and bar area pleasant. The wait staff in the restaurant were cheerful and efficient.

Room Tip: Get a room higher in the building with a dock view. Request a quiet room
Dear travlr9,

Thank you for posting your comments on this site following your recent stay with us.
We certainly are the Number One hotel in Dundee as positioned on this site and I was pleased to read that you enjoyed our Restaurant & Bar outlets and found our team friendly and efficient. However I am sorry to hear that you did not find our accommodation to your satisfaction. As you can see from previous reviews, we usually receive high levels of praise for our comfortable accommodation. Please accept my apologies for our failure to meet your expectations.

Should you wish to discuss this further then please feel free to contact me on 01382-309-460 or at stuart.grant@apexhotels.co.uk, where I do hope that we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back to demonstrate the high levels of hospitality that many of our guests do recognise us for.

Yours sincerely
Dumfries
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Staff were pleasant and helpful. Room was fine, but the bed was too hard, so I slept poorly due to shoulder pain. Couldn't fault the pillows, though. I always travel with my own, but those at the hotel were so comfortable I didn't need mine.

Dear wilmahatfit

Thank you very much for taking the time to your review your stay with us, and I was pleased to hear that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us and that our team looked after you. I was sorry to hear that you found the bed in your room a little hard, which I have asked my housekeeper to review.

Thank you again for your feedback, and we are looking forward to welcoming you back.