“Best cafe in Dundee!”

Cuisines: Scottish, Cafe
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 9, 2013

How can you visit Jessie's + not want to jump on TA + rave about them?
In my opinion, the best cafe in Dundee.
Their food is excellent. Varied choice when it comes to both savoury + sweet. Everything I have ever tasted in Jessie's is always top-notch. During my last visit, I had the pulled pork roll + it was great (could have done with more sauce... I have to at least give some constructive criticism).
The cakes are fantastic. So much to choose from + different options every day, combining old favourites with some new flavours.
This is the perfect place for lunch or high tea. I tend to visit with my mum, who also loves the place + tells her friends how great it is.
The decor is lovely + very welcoming. The staff are friendly too.
It is a little bit out of the way (I'm not entirely sure what bus routes go by there) so having a car does help. It can be easy to miss too if you don't see the little sign at the bottom of the brae. It's clearly word of mouth that has helped them get their glowing reputation.
I can't wait to visit again. I'm feeling hungry just thinking about it.

2  Thank 20SEB13

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Been to Jessie's Kitchen about 5 times for lunch or coffee. Mostly with my husband and children because they have a great room that caters for children with toys and a play area. The serving staff are very friendly and helpful and the place is usually very busy which is a good sign. We first went there because we heard the chef was from the Rep which we used to really enjoy going to but I have to say that the food is a little dull for me and vegetarian options are limited. If you like sandwiches, rolls, baked potatoes then you are fine. I suppose we were expecting the Rep to have moved there but we understand it is attracting a different customer, people looking for a lunch or afternoon snack. The other thing that happened the last time we were there was at the children's play area, alarm bells should have rung for me when we arrived as I saw a waitress removing a couple of the foam playmats and replacing them with fresh ones. Our son went and played there while we had our sandwich, with other children who were unfortunately being ignored by their parents and their manners left a lot to be desired. The morning after our visit our son had a vomiting bug which he passed on to myself and our then 2 month old baby, I can only guess the reason for the removal of the mats was a sickness accident! Jessie's Kitchen is a lovely place to meet your friends for a coffee, cake or lunch but my husband and I will not be returning with our children, which is a shame because there are few places around Dundee so welcoming to children!

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Visited here with elderly disabled parents. What a laugh we had sampling the sandwiches, cakes and scones on the 3-tier china plate stand that comes with afternoon tea. My parents had a lovely time, the staff were friendly and chatty, and the place is full of interesting little things to look at - mum especially liked the Custard Cream cushions! It's popular place, and it's easy to see why. It's flooded with sunlight, it's very welcoming, and it's just a little bit different from the usual - definitely worth a visit! Oh, and disabled access is no bother at all.

2  Thank ethoscon
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Visited Jessie's Kitchen on a Saturday. Initial thoughts were how noisy it was but the room was packed and there was a large party of ladies on what looked like a 'hen do'. The noise is inevitable with the wooden floors and high ceilings. The rabble did die down quite soon and we enjoyed a lovely lunch. Sandwiches are really well filled and tasty and come with a well dressed salad. The cakes quite delicious, we shared! Great menu and lovely staff. Certainly would recommend.

1  Thank HelenS688
Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Great service and menu, I am gluten an lactose intolerant and really enjoy eating here as they always have something for me to enjoy without a fuss. Bread is tasty (which is unusual for gluten free ) an there's always a few cakes for me to pick from. My son loves it here also and it a fab place for us mummy's to get together let the kids play and relax

1  Thank Shona234phil