“Hidden gem, but not quite sparkling”
Review of Jessie's Kitchen

Jessie's Kitchen
Ranked #44 of 376 Restaurants in Dundee
Cuisines: Cafe, British, Contemporary, Scottish
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids, Scenic view, Special occasions
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Kirriemuir, Scotland
“Hidden gem, but not quite sparkling”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I was excited when we arrived at Jessie's this afternoon as it felt like a hidden gem in a town that I know pretty well. It's in a lovely house with a beautiful view of the estuary and next to a small garden centre, so it seemed like a destination.

I'm a lover of cakes and, at first glance, the cakes didn't seem very exciting. When I got my piece of cake - banana and pineapple - my first impression turned out to be correct. While there's a nice variety of teas, the cake was dry and tasteless. In short, I think they need to do more on that side of the business.

• Visited April 2013

Alyth
“Disappointed after good reviews!”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

A colleague had recommended this place so had high expectations. Asked for a menu but were not given one, although the people at the next table were! Couldn't see the price of anything. Served two small coffees (didn't ask for small) and two cakes. I should have suspected something when I saw that the Florentines were displayed chocolate side up - mine was definitely overfired. Left a good part of it because I feared for my teeth! My husband's Turkish Delight slice was okay, if a bit strange. No sign of any of the fab cakes I'd been told they serve. Were there early afternoon. Mentioned to the girl who took our money that we thought the lack of menu was strange. She couldn't find one for us either and didn't seem interested or bothered. Either this place employs young, disinterested staff (our table was sticky and the floor wasn't particularly clean) or is resting on its laurels - or both!! Won't return.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank GoodFoodLoverAlyth
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Another great lunch”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

After over five visits, i now find the time to let you know, the food here is fantastic, the staff lovely, and nothing to much bother, i would recomend Jessies kitchen to people who love good quality food, the chef must be very proud of himself, and his staff, i give you 5*****, thankyou

• Visited March 2013
4 Thank Abbiec_11
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Nice tea”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Mrs and I went out for afternoon tea and were not disappointed. Dainty sandwiches and cakes delicately served on a stand were an art feature adorning the table. Pot of tea expertly brewed was a real thirst quencher. Having been for breakfast here previously a comparison results on a verdict of consistently high standards. Polite staff and lovely ambience of this former mansion made us dream of a past age in all its splendour.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Karl743
“Hidden gem of a restaurant.”
Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Tucked up among the posh big houses overlooking the silvery Tay is this increasingly popular tearoom/restaurant. Lunchtime today was so busy we had to wait 30 minutes must remember to book next time. Well worth waiting for, though. Menu wasenticing with its good range of excellent food. The special was superb - cajun chicken and salad. Service was prompt and cheerful. Clearly the place to be and children catered for thoughtfully with toys etc.