“A great all-rounder!”

Cuisines: European, British, Fusion
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Murdie Smith and Derek Dolan welcome you to The Tasting Rooms, Dundee’s only contemporary food and wine experience, offering excellent dining and conferencing facilities in unique and inspirational surroundings in the heart of Dundee. ■Groundfloor Wine Bar and Bistro■The Balcony Room Restaurant on our mezzanine■The Glass Room - available for private hire■Complimentary WIFI■Children Welcome
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We often visit the Tasting Rooms for cocktails before a night out and this time didn't fail to impress! We arrived without a booking and were seated right away. I love the fact that you can see everything going on outside but nobody can really see you. We ordered from the 3 course lunch menu (at under a tenner each, it's fantastic value for money) and had a couple of bottles of Sauvignon Blanc (honestly, one of the nicest I've tasted!).

After our meal, we were asked if we wanted to move down to the sofas downstairs which we did. We spent the rest of the afternoon enjoying the atmosphere and comfy chairs - and a few cocktails (the English Country Garden is fab).

All in all, a brilliant lunch spot, perfect for a few relaxing drinks and brilliant service. We will certainly be back!

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Went on the 17th August. Wine was superb, Food was 1st class again, Service was tremendous. This is the best restaurant in Dundee. Will be back again shortly. Cannot recommend this place enough

Reviewed August 16, 2013

We have used The Tasting Rooms before and always enjoy the food and service. This time we tried the A La Carte menu and can truthfully say the rib eye steaks were among the best we have ever tasted. We ordered a starter which was extremely pleasant but made it a struggle to eat all of the 10oz steak and nicely cooked vegetables!
Would certainly recommend this city centre restaurant to others.

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I have been to The Tasting Rooms a few times, if I have guests to the city we always go to
The Tasing Rooms. The food is is perfect, the staff are attentive without being over attentive, quiet music in the background, so you can talk and hear the conversation,there is no hurry to eat each course, it is such a relaxing experience, I would recommend The Tasting Rooms every time.

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We have been to the Tasting Rooms in the past, and on that occasion we had the pre-theatre 3 course menu, which was very good, so we decided to go again last night.

My wife had a delicious cocktail to start with, and we shared a bottle of wine, a lovely Pinot Noir.

We both chose from the A La Carte menu this time round, and had crab risotto and chicken goujons for our starters, delicious! My chicken came in a lovely light batter, and was full of flavour, and the risotto was rich and creamy.

When the main courses arrived though, which were both Rib Eye steaks, we were sadly very disappointed. Angela’s steak was ok, but didn’t taste the best in the world, in fact, it tasted like a cheap steak that had been left in the fridge a little too long. Mine however, was off. My first bite I had to spit into my napkin, as it tasted very funny. I tried a second bite, from a different part of it, which I spelled first, and something definitely wasn’t right, but I thought I would still try it, and again, it definitely had an “off” taste. To make sure it wasn’t just me, Angela tried a small bite too, and had to spit it out as well.

The worst part however, wasn’t the fact that I was served an off steak, and that Angela’s wasn’t really that good either, although we couldn’t say for sure it was off like mine, as she likes her steak well done, so it may have hidden a little, but she only managed to finish half of it. No, the worst part was the attitude of the staff towards it. The waitress, when called over, said “Oh the steak will had definitely been checked so it won’t be off, but I will get you a new one if you really want”. About 5 minutes later she came back and said “the chef has checked it and tasted it, and says that the steak is fine, nothing wrong with it, but he will make you another one.” And when I replied well it definitely was off, and even smelled off, she replied “Well I smelled it too and it smelled fine.” I can allow the waitress a little slack in that maybe she has no culinary expertise whatsoever, and clearly cannot smell a bad steak, but the chef? I am sorry, anyone who is supposed to be a chef, but says my steak was fine, has absolutely no business whatsoever being in the food industry. If I had served that up to say a Masterchef judge, I would have been not just severely criticised, but probably thrown out in the street! How could he possibly either 1: not realise it was off, or 2: lie about it, is beyond me? I wouldn’t have even fed it to my cats, for fear of making them ill.

The second steak, served to me as promised about 15 minutes or so later, was delicious. Large, succulent and full of flavour, a total and utter contrast to the first steak. Again, I have to ask, could the chef really not tell the difference? I am pretty sure he knew, he must have known, so his attitude of trying to say the first was fine is appalling, but if he really didn’t know, and couldn’t tell the difference, then he should walk down the road to the job centre and start looking for a new career.

To be honest, if I were to run a restaurant, and I had a customer send back a steak, I, as owner would have gone to apologise personally, or the manger would have if I weren’t in that night, and then the chef would have been up next to also apologise.

At the end of the night, just before we left, we were offered a complimentary drink, but to be honest, we didn’t go there wanting something for nothing, we just wanted to have a lovely evening, in a nice restaurant, with good steak. When we declined the drink, the waitress said, “OK, that’s your choice” which sounded slightly strange to me? No extra apology, just “your choice”? Had we been offered it at the time we sent the steak back, which is really when it should have been offered, then we probably would have accepted it, but to be offered it right at the end after we got our bill, seemed too little too late.

We probably will return, as our previous visit was great, and this visit still was nice, after all, we did get what we wanted, a nice evening together in a nice restaurant, with some nice wine, a lovely starter, and second time round, one good steak, but for the problems we have written about, we can only give it 3 stars this time. Had we had the profuse apologies that we felt should have come our way, from the aforementioned chef and manager or owner, then we would have gone for 4 stars, as the off steak meant one star removed, but the way we felt treated knocks another one off, it almost knocked two more off, down to 2 stars, but the last minute offer of 2 free drinks has just pushed the rating to 3 stars.

2  Thank damien_angela