“Wouldn't have missed it!!”

Sol y Sombra Tapas Bar
Ranked #2 of 380 Restaurants in Dundee
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Wouldn't have missed it!!”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Booked this restaurant while visiting our son who is at uni in Dundee based on previous Tripadvisor reviews.
I have to say it lived up to expectation. The set menu adds a bit of mystery as you only get a quick overview from owner Phil before the plates start arrived & keep arriving all night!
Fantastic variety and quality at a very reasonable price.
Will look forward to a return visit next time in Dundee although I suspect our son will be back soon!!

Visited February 2013

• Polish first
Dundee, United Kingdom
“tapas in the ferry... yes please”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

My girlfriend and I decided to try the Tapas bar in broughty ferry for dinner for a valentines day dinner, as the smart cookies we are, we went on the 15th of February to miss the rush of this holiday. On arrival to the restaurant, we were a little early for our reservation but were greeted by very friendly staff who apologised, for something that clearly wasn’t their fault, and were asked if we would like to go for a drink down stairs and a member of staff would come and get us. Bang on 2030, when our table was reserved for,the owner ,Phil ,came and got us and took us to our table. The restaurant is small but has a lovely atmosphere. Our waiter Marcos was lovely, we could tell that he was very nervous and struggled with English, as he was Spanish. The owner did come up to us during our meal and informed us that this is the first night that Marcos was dealing with customers and wanted to know if he was doing OK. To which my girlfriend and I both agreed he was doing a fabulous job. He was attentive and explained everything that we were getting. But it was very nice that Phil had come and explained the situation to us and asked how he was doing.

The food was lovely, being a set menu, the food came out very quickly. And we were asked if we had any dietary requirements before hand. Every dish we had was absolutely delicious. From the bowl of olives to the prawns and everything in-between. During the the courses the owner came and chatted to us for abit and had a laugh and joke and got to know us a little, which in my eyes is how a restaurant owner or manager should be. I come from south Africa and this is how the manager and owners behave, there are a lot of people that could do with leaning a thing or two from this man.

After our delicious food, we asked for the bill and it was very good for all the food and drinks we had. My girlfriend complained that I had eaten the chocolate mint we were given, upon hearing this Phil popped over with a quarter box of after 8s and said she could take them home. Upon leaving we were sent on our way with a firm handshake my girlfriend got a kiss on a cheek ,a big smile from our waiter Marcos and a tummy full of yummy tapas. I cannot fault this restaurant in anyway the only thing I would have liked is to have tried this unlimited offer I have heard about or have the ability to order more of a certain thing because it wast that good. All in all the best dinning experience I have had since living in Scotland for the past 12 years

Palermo, Italy
“Still a wonderful experience”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We returned to the Tapas Bar in Broughty Ferry after a few months absence and it was just as wonderful as it was last time and indeed every time we have been there.
Plate after plate of delicious food and such a warm and hospitable atmosphere.
Be sure to reserve your place as the secret is out that this place is just marvellous.

Dundee, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Girls' Night Out”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Working in hospitality, it is a rare occasion that we get to go out and so it was to our delight that we found this to be an absolutely wonderful restaurant! Great atmosphere, warm, excellent and attentive service and beautiful food! I have a wheat allergy which was catered for throughout the meal.
Owner and his fiancé are lovely and welcoming. We will most certainly be back..thank you!

dundee
“One to try.... you can't help but enjoy it”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Difficult to put you're finger on this one....but I now know why pretty much everyone rates The Tapas Bar so highly. Just not sure I can explain it. No fancy decor but it works. Its not exactly traditional Tapas, but it works. Wines aren't 'Fine' but they're fine. I suspect the ultimate winner is owners Phil and Loanna. You'll be hard pushed to find a more friendly welcome, great service and a simply hassle free evening. Just sit back and enjoy it.

Visited February 2013