“Pricey Pastries!”

Fisher and Donaldson
Ranked #1 of 3 Bakeries in Dundee
Description: Fisher and Donaldson are Bakeries are very well-known in Scotland for their excellent pastries and cakes. They have a small restaurant in Whitehall Street, where you can order your favourite drink and pastry or cake and read the newspaper. If you have a sweet tooth or love creamy cakes this is the perfect restaurant for you. My favourite is a large hot chocolate and a yummy coffee cream tower. I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone visiting Dundee.
Reviewed November 29, 2012

My grandmother is a fan of Fisher and Donaldson's, so when my sister and I meet her for lunch, we often find ourselves paying a visit. It's an expensive place for just a coffee and a cake and the cakes and pastries are usually high quality, albeit a tad overpriced. The service can be hit or miss, sometimes it can take a while to be served, even when it's quiet. You get given a little sweet when you order a hot drink, which is a nice touch, although we have noticed they have shrunk vastly over the last few years (recession!). I recommend the coffee tower - it's amazing, although very difficult to eat without covering yourself in icing and cream!

They're going through a makeover at the moment and appear to be making the café more modern, with a bit of a Cath Kidston twist. Lots of very fancy cupcakes and bunting, and they've painted the background of the sign bright pink. This doesn't quite fit with the interiors, which are very dark and old worldy, and they have these lovely panels with floral paintings on them. I'm not sure of the update, I think it looked a bit classier beforehand.

Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

This place serves very nice bakes of different typed.. jus try anything you will never get tired of eatin em.. :)

1  Thank jakelewi5
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I am a regular visitor to St Andrews and Cupar and when in town always make a point of visiting the Fisher and Donaldson bakery shops. No complaints there the bakery products while expensive are superb quality and offer value for money.
So with this in mind my wife and I went to the cafe located in Cupar arriving around 2pm on Saturday 3rd November. I ordered stovies which were fine however my wife's macaroni cheese was simply appauling. It was clearly the scrapings from the dish and we were charged £3.95 for the privilege. I took the food back and the young assistant called the supervisor who duly opened the till and gave me a refund with what can only be described as a scowl and no apology. The staff aprons were scruffy too which did not look too good either.
We then went to the bakery counter to purchase some goods to take home. A female,not dressed in uniform, proceeded to lean behind the glass counter picked up a spinach and ricotta roll and started eating this in full view of everyone as she walked out the door. As she did not pay I can only assume she was a member of the admin staff or worse a manager. Staff serving at the bakery counter are handling cash and handling food as this was how we were served the meat and onion pasties, bagged by hand and then cash taken and change given. This reflects poor hygiene stanards and contravenes the Food Safety Act. Fisher and Donaldson management need to get their act together and ensure their staff are trained to comply with basic food handling practices at all times.
Suffice to say we will not be going back to the cafe. I will continue to purchase from the bakery however if I view such poor hygiene standards I will refuse my purchase and ask to speak to management.

4  Thank mike2411959
Reviewed September 26, 2012

The pies and cakes are truly top notch! Take a look at the window display,remember goodies from your childhood, and choose a savoury and a fancy piece.... Picnic heaven!

Reviewed August 24, 2012

Coffee and baking is great, wee bit cramped for my hubbys wheelchair but we did manage and the other customers were really good about it, but that won't put me off going again, The cream cakes are very fattening!!!! but great