“Perfect Location”

Ranked #18 of 28 Hotels in Dundee
dunfermline
“Perfect Location”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

We stayed 2 nights here. Fri 14th and Sat 15th February. This hotel isn't modern and shiny, but has lots of character, the best location in Dundee for city centre. We booked a family room as our son was doing a course at the DCA, next door. The room was very large, with a huge bed for us and a 'proper' single bed for our son. Room was bright clean and cosy, with all the facilities you'd expect. Dinner on Friday was Valentines dinner only. We kind of expected that, but plenty eateries within a minutes walk. Breakfasts were excellent, set us up for the day ahead. Staff were all really pleasant and helpful. I left my book behind and can hardly believe they found it for me. No complaints from us!!!

Room Tip: Rooms at front are on main street, so may be a little noisier, we didn't find this a problem and...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
arbroath, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2014

the hotel is ok dinning staff just need to remember to treat everybody the same and not miss anybody out thats what makes the difference, we had booked a superiour room we got in the room no information pack lamp lights were not working and the room was very cold the bathroom was like a fridge and the radiator was freezing, we went out shopping came back and heard dripping in the bathroom we looked in and it was covered in water dripping in through the extractor in the roof, i went to reception who said they would send someone up i had to phone again from my room becuase no one came, eventually the gentleman came had a look and moved us to a double room becuase they had no superiour rooms left but it wasnt becuase they didnt have anymore they were working in the rooms next to us strong smell of silicon sealants,dont sit in the corner of the dinning room water comes in there aswell

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I cannot praise the staff enough for all the organising of my husband and I 30th Wedding Anniversary , to say the least my Mother had organised it and she,s a tough cookie to work along with but the staff appeased her every whim.
The night went fantastic the setting was fabulous and the meal was excellent all thanks to Sean who was the organiser for the event, nothing was too much trouble for the staff and Sean at all, we were catered our every whim and would thouroughly recommend booking a party at this venue.
A huge thank you to all the staff
PS my mother is still recovering from her bar bill xx

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Stayed over for one night, 27/02/2014 on business paid for by my employer.
check in simple, 2 signatures. Room standard as hotels go. It's an older building which I prefer to the modern, contemporary look of so many these days. Room compact but has everything you need, kettle & usual accompanients including shortbread. Hairdryer, iron and ironing board also to hand. More accessories fully listed in the guide in the room are available from reception upon request at no charge.
The weather was atrocious so my colleague and I dined in the hotel restaurant, Nosey Parkers. There are a range of eateries within 5 mins walking distance which pretty much has you centre of town, shopping centre just a min or two further away and there is a Newsagent handily right beside the hotel entrance. You are within 5/10 mins walk from station (our mode of transport) even with luggage which includes waiting at crossings.
We opted for pre theatre menu, 2 courses for £14.00. Good selection to choose from. We were both well satisfied and found the portion sizes ample. I didn't finish my curry but polished of desert as it was so light. My colleague who scoffed all her curry left one bite of dessert as she was so full. Our jaws dropped when we saw the size of courses on the main menu which we would never have managed.
Breakfast was served in Nosy's too. This is a mix of self service and menu/table service. Good assortment available. Despite breakfast having been paid for us we could not manage a cooked one as we were still stuffed from the night before! Settled for fresh fruit, toast and boiled eggs/scrambled eggs. Tea & coffee, cooked breakfast were served to order to your table. Best soft boiled eggs I have ever had & I've had plenty bad hotel experiences, ranging from hard boiled to on the the raw side. These were PERFECTION.
The hotel, restaurant and room were comfortably heated which was good given the inclement weather. We found the staff welcoming, attentive and efficient. If I ever have cause to visit Dundee for my own recreational purposes I would definitely book here.

Room Tip: Front is on street, we were at back and did not suffer any noise except for the severe weather (not...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for one night in mid December.

Like a previous reviewer I was annoyed to find that the only food on offer was their full Christmas menu. At £25 it was more than I wanted to pay - or to eat! However, as it was a wet and windy night I had little choice. I must say that the food was excellent.

It is a beautiful old building full of period features, a lovely staircase with wood panelling, chandeliers in bedrooms etc.

Unfortunately I cannot agree with the glowing comments about the staff whom I found to have no personal warmth whatsoever. Not unpleasant certainly, but with the exception of one young man working in Nosey Parker's bar/restaurant they seemed to have no interest in their customers or in making conversation despite there being few people around. When travelling alone this is not pleasant and I felt it gave the hotel a 'cold' atmosphere.

I would ceetainly stay here again but woukd try to find another hotel in the area offering better service.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Took our disabled son for a trip up to the science centre and booked here for an overnight stay. The staff have been great from the start, phoning and organising a suitable room for easy access for the wheelchair. Room was clean, comfortable and cozy. Staff were very welcoming and helpful. Got to say that Nosey Parker's is fabulous. What a terrific meal and a good substantial breakfast, again the staff were excellent. A few stairs inside meant we had to use back exits and walk round to front of entrance, but it was fine. First time in a hotel room with him (we usual go for self catering apartments but had a wonderful experience and would recommend highly.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family