“Some refurbishment but results mixed.....”

Best Western Queens Hotel
Ranked #18 of 28 Hotels in Dundee
Reviewed June 30, 2011

Have stayed at this hotel on 2 occasions recently and will not be returning after a second chance did not offer real improvements. Second visit required a room change as shower flow was very poor. Now seen 3 bathrooms in this hotel and it's clear that some have been refurbished more recently than others. Check-in was speedy but uneventful. Bedroom quality average; bed only reasonably comfortable; cleanliness OK but not perfect. This is an old building and the surface has been improved but I guess they're fighting a losing battle. On the positive side breakfast is good being cooked to order. Location is good also being close to the centre with some good pubs/restaurants within easy walking distance.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a shower only
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed June 25, 2011

This is a traditional Victorian hotel with elaborate staircase and high ceilings. I had a three course dinner for £24 from a varied menu served by friendly staff with each course arriving promptly despite the restaurant being full for Graduation Day at Dundee University. The food was good and an enjoyable experience. The room was comfortable with tea and coffee making facilities and Scottish shortbread. The noise from outside during the night was disturbing but students graduating may have been the cause. A room on the other side of the hotel is a good idea.
Breakfast was reasonable with a cold buffet but hot food served but with reasonable portions. Coffee/Tea is served by the cup and this means catching waiting staff eyes for a refill or helping yourself as I did

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 15, 2011

There is nothing terribly wrong with this hotel - it is clean, the rooms have large windows, coffee makers, and free wi fi. But there isn't anything special about it either - the lift is extremely slow, the full breakfast wasn't all that tasty (and you can't serve yourself from the buffet, making it difficult to control portions), my room didn't have an alarm clock, and the closet space for hanging clothes is very limited. The staff were certainly not rude, but no one was particularly friendly either - I stayed here for 8 days and can't think of a memorable exchange I had with any of the hotel employees. If you can get a room at a good/discounted rate, then the Queens would be fine.
The location is quite central in Dundee, within walking distance of both Universities, only a block from the Overgate shopping center, and just a few blocks from the high street. The rail station is no more than a 5-7 minute walk.

Room Tip: Try to avoid a street-view room
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed May 30, 2011

It was obvious from the outset that staff training was negligible. The receptionist answered the phone in the middle of booking us in and we were requesting a taxi to take us to the church for the wedding and did not want to be late.
We met two young staff in the lift who informed us, "there are twa weddings on the day and we dinnae ken which ane we are workin it." Neither of them looked very happy at the prospect.
The wedding meal was booked for around 3.45pm and we were finally served at around 6.00pm. One of the guests at my table found a slater on her plate. The waitress took it to the kitchen on a napkin and when she returned she said to the guest, "the chef does not know how the bug got into your food." No-one came out to apologise to the guest.
At breakfast when I asked for more coffee from the nearest waitress (I had been given a small cup on arrival to the breakfast room) I was greeted with the reply , "I'll get it fir ye when I am finished." The waitress in question was about to lay a table. She could have asked a colleague to get me a coffee.
I asked another waitress for marmalade after I had made my toast and discovered there was none. I waited at my table for five minutes whilst my toast was getting cold. Eventually I asked a waiter what had happened to the marmalade and he went to the dish and produced some. Rather than bring the marmalade to me or inform me that it was there the original waitress had put it in the dish. I found this lack of service unacceptable.
I would not recommend this hotel to any visitors to Dundee and will not be using it again myself.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 9, 2011

I got to the hotel around 23:20 as I'd travelled up from Bristol. Was met by a huge locked wooden door. I pressed the buzzer twice before someone came to let me in. The member of staff then walked off and disappeared into his staff quarters, even though I'd told him I was here to check in. I walked around the ground floor looking for someone but it was stone dead. I found a phone and dialed for the porter who came up and told me that check in closed at 23:00. He reopened the check in desk and gave me my room card. Was unfriendly and didn't look at me.

No signs to tell me what to do and no help from the staff. Looks great on the outside but is not good on the inside.

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank bristolsmeg
Reviewed April 27, 2011

Stayed at the Queens for one night with a colleague, wasn't very impressed. Room was shabby, there was constant extractor fan noise, the walls were paper-thin (which combined with the rock hard bed made for a bad night's sleep). But the worst part was the bathroom, which absolutely reeked of smoke, and smelled worse with the extractor on! Not even the sad tinned fruit breakfast could make up for that...

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed April 18, 2011

Had a weekend break in Dundee and booked inot the Queens Hotel which is an old hotel tastefully done up with a fabulous restaurant, it is also in a fantastic location for exploring the city. Give it a try !

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple