“Excellent friendly hotel with great food”

Best Western Dundee Invercarse Hotel
Ranked #6 of 30 Hotels in Dundee
Holmfirth, W Yorks
“Excellent friendly hotel with great food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2009

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times in the last 3 months. Always found the rooms to be fine, even if the bathrooms are a little dated. Staff are always friendly and never had any issues with service.

The food in the restaurant is excellent and extremely good value.

One criticism is that the WiFi access is a little intermitent in some of the rooms I have stayed in.

If I am back in Dundee I will be staying there again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2008

We stayed at The Invercarse, Dundee, as it is wonderfully situated, with views across the Tay, and is in a very quiet location.

The staff (in all departments) are possibly the friendlest and most helpful I have experienced in a hotel for a very long time. I cannot praise them enough.

Unfortunately the decor leaves a lot to be desired, The entire hotel could do with a huge makeover and update.
The reception is outdated and the restaurant is very gloomy (candles would definitely help bring some ambience).

The staff most certainly made our stay very comfortable.

• Liked — Very Quiet
  • Disliked — Creaky bed
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Suffolk, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2008

It's probably 20 years since I last stayed here and not much seemd to have changed. The room was small and in common with many other guests rediculously hot.

The staff were fairly friendly although a little brusque at Reception. A breakfast buffet was standard. It's stuck somewhat in the 70's - the muzak around the hotel geatured Louis Armstrong, McCarthur Park and Windmills of your mind .... several times over throughout my 24 hour stay!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Geraldo_Bonzo
edinburgh
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2008

Seemed to have one problem after another with Best Western Dundee. I tried to book family room online Website states that "Up To Two Children Free (Age 15 And Under) For Every Two Paying Adults In Existing Bedding." However, I was unable to book a family room online and contacted the hotel directly. I was then told I would have to pay £15 per child on top of the intenet price. I argued this point as I felt it unfair that it states online children go free but doesn't allow you to actually book a family room online, and when you contact hotel you are asked to pay for children. I was given the internet price but told that I would have to pay for breakfast. I was also told the reason I had to pay for children was because the internet price didn't cover the cost of laundry for the childrens bedding! Feels like the hotel was trying to con us. I have since written to Best western to enquire about this policy.
Re the hotel itself, in good location, nice gardens but beside busy road. Hotel wasnt very child friendly. Recepionist friendly and attentive. Our room was very small with 2 camp beds and very hot due to the bathroom radiator having a fault. Took 24 hours for someone to take fuse out. We did get a fan though.
The camp bed in our room wasnt adjusted propely so I moved it and in the process managed to almost slice top of my finger off, husband managed to help stem flow of blood and reception gave me medical supplies. Howvere, although I was told housekeeping would come and have a look no one turned up. My main concern was my children getting injured o we had to squash beds up against walls between double bed. Think this is a health and safety issue and raised it with BW.
Rooms were clean but a bit dated. Wouldnt go back again in a hurry .

• Liked — good location and nice gardens
  • Disliked — trying to get round children go free policy. Smal room too hot.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank e67
Fife Scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2008

Stayed one night (a Friday in February 2008) to attend a dinner / dance function. We have often visited the hotel to enjoy good meals at luch time and dinners and business meetings, however this was the first time we have stayed.
Check in was quick, main reason, no communication,'' just sign here and here and I want to swipe your card! '' No welcome, no instructions, no offer to enjoy our stay, no times or information on breakfast. It was disapointing as this is a hotel we have used a lot and I would hate to think this was the welcome a stranger or visitor to Dundee normally gets from the first contact with the hotel. The room was on the ground floor, I must admit I was a bit shocked at just how wee the room was, and the double bed was not much better.
The decoration of the room was OK, the room was clean, just small and very dated, the bathroom was the same, yellow / peach coloured sanitary ware, over bath inefficient shower, thin towels, very basic.
The room and bathroom were smaller than your average Travel lodge or Inn room.
Glad we were only staying one night, back to the bed, not the biggest and certainly not the most comfortable, thread bare pillow case slips with holes.The sound proofing between the rooms and corridors not the best every sound can be heard.
Breakfast was acceptable, reception checking out in the morning no better than the arrival.
We will return to the hotel for the restuarant but as for staying, will just get a taxi home next year.

• Liked — The TV was the newst feature of the dated room.
  • Disliked — Bed and room size -far too small
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank postcard13
Howden, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2007

This Hotel is excellent. The Staff are attentive and helpful, the rooms are a reasonable size and well appointed, and the food in the restaurant is superb. My wife and I travel extensively and after several dreadful experiences in Best Western Hotels, especially one in Edinburgh, we only booked here out of necessity. However, our faith was restored, and not only would we recommend this Hotel to others, we would gladly return ourselves. What a pity similar, and more expensive, Hotels in Edinburgh don't reach this standard.

• Liked — The food was wonderful
  • Disliked — A series of steps to get to the room
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank RKH245
England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2007

I stayed at this hotel on a Saturday night. On checking in, I specifically requested a quiet room as I had a long drive the following day. I was assured tha the room allocated was very quiet. In fact the room could not have been located any closer to the entrance to the Function Rooms and there was a wedding reception taking place. Because of the smoking ban many of the wedding guests were not in the function room but outside in the car park, right outside my ground floor bedroom window making a heck of a noise. The final guests left at around 2.30 am and it was impossible to get any sleep until then despite my best efforts. In the morning the same chap was on reception and when I asked him if he remembered my request for a quiet room, he said he did and was surprised that the wedding had disturbed me!! However when other guests also complained about the noise he said that weddings tended to want the run of the place and had no consideration for hotel guests!! I was not warned at the time of booking or checking in that a function was taking place. The room itself was very small with a tiny bed and generally less comfort and space than a budget Travel Inn or Travelodge. The bathroom had no bath just a shower. The shower was inadequate and pathetic and more suited to a caravan!! Breakfast was good. I would not stay again at the Invercarse Hotel under any circumstances.

• Liked — leaving in the morning
  • Disliked — noise, noise, noise, noise, noise, noise,
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business