“Living in the Past?”

Best Western Dundee Invercarse Hotel
Ranked #7 of 28 Hotels in Dundee
Reviewed July 26, 2008

It's probably 20 years since I last stayed here and not much seemd to have changed. The room was small and in common with many other guests rediculously hot.

The staff were fairly friendly although a little brusque at Reception. A breakfast buffet was standard. It's stuck somewhat in the 70's - the muzak around the hotel geatured Louis Armstrong, McCarthur Park and Windmills of your mind .... several times over throughout my 24 hour stay!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Geraldo_Bonzo
There are newer reviews for Best Western Dundee Invercarse Hotel

Reviewed July 20, 2008

Seemed to have one problem after another with Best Western Dundee. I tried to book family room online Website states that "Up To Two Children Free (Age 15 And Under) For Every Two Paying Adults In Existing Bedding." However, I was unable to book a family room online and contacted the hotel directly. I was then told I would have to pay £15 per child on top of the intenet price. I argued this point as I felt it unfair that it states online children go free but doesn't allow you to actually book a family room online, and when you contact hotel you are asked to pay for children. I was given the internet price but told that I would have to pay for breakfast. I was also told the reason I had to pay for children was because the internet price didn't cover the cost of laundry for the childrens bedding! Feels like the hotel was trying to con us. I have since written to Best western to enquire about this policy.
Re the hotel itself, in good location, nice gardens but beside busy road. Hotel wasnt very child friendly. Recepionist friendly and attentive. Our room was very small with 2 camp beds and very hot due to the bathroom radiator having a fault. Took 24 hours for someone to take fuse out. We did get a fan though.
The camp bed in our room wasnt adjusted propely so I moved it and in the process managed to almost slice top of my finger off, husband managed to help stem flow of blood and reception gave me medical supplies. Howvere, although I was told housekeeping would come and have a look no one turned up. My main concern was my children getting injured o we had to squash beds up against walls between double bed. Think this is a health and safety issue and raised it with BW.
Rooms were clean but a bit dated. Wouldnt go back again in a hurry .

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank e67
Reviewed February 18, 2008

Stayed one night (a Friday in February 2008) to attend a dinner / dance function. We have often visited the hotel to enjoy good meals at luch time and dinners and business meetings, however this was the first time we have stayed.
Check in was quick, main reason, no communication,'' just sign here and here and I want to swipe your card! '' No welcome, no instructions, no offer to enjoy our stay, no times or information on breakfast. It was disapointing as this is a hotel we have used a lot and I would hate to think this was the welcome a stranger or visitor to Dundee normally gets from the first contact with the hotel. The room was on the ground floor, I must admit I was a bit shocked at just how wee the room was, and the double bed was not much better.
The decoration of the room was OK, the room was clean, just small and very dated, the bathroom was the same, yellow / peach coloured sanitary ware, over bath inefficient shower, thin towels, very basic.
The room and bathroom were smaller than your average Travel lodge or Inn room.
Glad we were only staying one night, back to the bed, not the biggest and certainly not the most comfortable, thread bare pillow case slips with holes.The sound proofing between the rooms and corridors not the best every sound can be heard.
Breakfast was acceptable, reception checking out in the morning no better than the arrival.
We will return to the hotel for the restuarant but as for staying, will just get a taxi home next year.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank postcard13
Reviewed December 30, 2007

This Hotel is excellent. The Staff are attentive and helpful, the rooms are a reasonable size and well appointed, and the food in the restaurant is superb. My wife and I travel extensively and after several dreadful experiences in Best Western Hotels, especially one in Edinburgh, we only booked here out of necessity. However, our faith was restored, and not only would we recommend this Hotel to others, we would gladly return ourselves. What a pity similar, and more expensive, Hotels in Edinburgh don't reach this standard.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank RKH245
Reviewed September 9, 2007

I stayed at this hotel on a Saturday night. On checking in, I specifically requested a quiet room as I had a long drive the following day. I was assured tha the room allocated was very quiet. In fact the room could not have been located any closer to the entrance to the Function Rooms and there was a wedding reception taking place. Because of the smoking ban many of the wedding guests were not in the function room but outside in the car park, right outside my ground floor bedroom window making a heck of a noise. The final guests left at around 2.30 am and it was impossible to get any sleep until then despite my best efforts. In the morning the same chap was on reception and when I asked him if he remembered my request for a quiet room, he said he did and was surprised that the wedding had disturbed me!! However when other guests also complained about the noise he said that weddings tended to want the run of the place and had no consideration for hotel guests!! I was not warned at the time of booking or checking in that a function was taking place. The room itself was very small with a tiny bed and generally less comfort and space than a budget Travel Inn or Travelodge. The bathroom had no bath just a shower. The shower was inadequate and pathetic and more suited to a caravan!! Breakfast was good. I would not stay again at the Invercarse Hotel under any circumstances.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
5  Thank Fussy!!England
Reviewed March 11, 2007

A very pleasant. relaxing hotel with a bit of character. Room clean and comfortable. Nice LCD TV. Kettle with tea, coffees etc Herbal tea would have been nice. Food was lovely but not a lot of vegetables
or fruit. That is apart from breakfast with lovely prunes, grapefruit etc. and lots of choices for cooked breakfast, Bar snacks looked simple but good e.g breads and oils or wedges/chips. Nice size not too big,handy for the Dundee Airport and Perth Road with lots of wee shops and eateries further up the road, heading towards town. Staff very pleasant.

Stayed: March 2007
1  Thank K.D.Ttree
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 12, 2006

Rooms were clean but small.

Seems to be a bit of a wedding factory at weekends, and if you're not part of the wedding then the staff don't actually give a hoot about you. Try getting a sandwich in the middle of the afternoon - even though they advertise 24hr food - they are grumpy and unhelpful. Most of the staff we encountered on our stay were pretty poor, apart from the girl on reception, Jennifer, who had been abandoned on her own with a big party to check in. There was another woman behind reception who didn't bother to come to help - later found out she was the assistant manager.Jennifer was a Fabulous help to us.

Food, when you get it, is quite good, but if you stay for any time it becomes very "samey". Spoke to the chef one morning as he was putting breakfast out to thank him for the good food, but he didn't even bother to make eye contact before disappearing in the kitchen.

We did have an issue which we asked the Manager to resolve for us, but she is a cold fish with no actual regard for your feelings and hopeless manager, like most of the management team by the look of things. - Not very organised and didn't actually resolve our issue, which was with the room.

Would only stay here as a last resort.

• Stayed: January 2006