“Overpriced and over-rated!”

Ranked #48 of 400 Restaurants in Dundee
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Scottish, British, Gastropub
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Bruach is a modern and upmarket spot in central Broughty Ferry. We offer lunch, early evening and weekend menus. Our menus reflect local, fresh and seasonal produce. Menus also change on a regular basis. Children are also welcome and we have disabled access and facilities. Our chefs cater for all dietary requirements. Please contact us if you specific requirements.Our bar is a popular spot for celebrating with friends, relaxing with a coffee or hosting a small function. We have an award-winning cocktail menu, excellent selection of wines and spirits.
Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

Being local to the ferry, I felt it was time I went to see what all the fuss was about in bruach. I went with friends on Boxing Day for a couple of quiet evening drinks and was initially impressed with the cosy appearance of the interior.
We opted to have cocktails as a wee christmas treat. I decided on my usual favourite of a French martini, which quite frankly was a bit tasteless (would have been better if made with vanilla vodka as it should be!) my partner had the cocktail made with 3 types of rum, chosen as it featured Bacardi oak heart, his favourite. This was potent to say the least and to be honest not enjoyable. Had it not been for the cost of it (£7.50) he would have left it. My friend's raspberry mule was the only cocktail that seemed enjoyable. After the initial round of cocktails we opted for a round of normal drinks. My partner asked for an oak heart Bacardi and coke to be told there was no oak heart, which begs the question, "what on earth was in his cocktail??"
Before leaving we requested the bill which left us with barely coppers from £40 !! A little excessive for 8 drinks I feel! On leaving, my partner felt ill from drinking the Cocktail and proceeded to be sick a short while later. (No other drink involved!)
Overall I feel Bruach is over hyped, over priced and pretentious and not somewhere I will return to any time soon.

3  Thank J300lsx

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Very busy cocktail bar by night and good value restaurant bar by day, the Bruach special lunch offers cannot be beaten. 3 courses for only £5.95 and each of them coming with a tasty and varied choce of dishes. Frightened to recommend it if it means that I might not be able to get a table!!!

1  Thank Agnes M
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Mrs B and I popped in early on Hogmany as we fancied some cocktails. We had not been in the pub for some time and overall the place appeared to us as being a bit tired. The tables were filthy and the windows were dirty. I ordered a French Martini which was frankly tasteless. Mrs B had a Bramble which had little taste with too much ice. A wee tip, when you bring drinks to the table, bring some napkins or mats. We recently had cocktails in Harvey Niks in Edinburgh........that's how to do cocktails!

Reviewed January 2, 2013

I love Bruach! I eat and drink there regularly and am always impressed both with the food and the service. On Sunday afternoons I often take a step back from my busy life to treat myself to a glass of Prosecco (very decadent - with a fresh strawberry or raspberry!) and a portion of hand-cut chips (delicious), while chilling with my Kindle - I don't need to ask any more as the Staff know what I want! I love the settee areas for chilling and the dining area upstairs is a lovely area for more formal meals. Being vegan, one of the best things about Bruach for me is their willingness to accommodate my dietary requirements. If I give them a bit of advance warning, Chef is always happy to prepare a 3-course vegan alternative to the regular menu and even when I went in one day for lunch without booking he was able to prepare a delicious vegan stir-fry there and then - that's what I call a real Chef!! Not all restaurants/bars are so accommodating! Even when I attended a private function there I was given my own vegan platter instead of the regular buffet food. Some restaurants think that because I'm vegan I only eat vegetables - Chef at Bruach obviously understands that I can eat other foods such as pasta, rice and noodles to accompany any vegan dish. So, keep on doing what you're doing, Bruach, Chef and Staff - a big thank you!!

1  Thank Felinekitty
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Visited for the first time today and found the whole experience well worth while. The Staff were very friendly and helpful and the food excellent value for money (3 courses for £6.00). Thought portions would be very small for this but I was wrong as the portions were more than adequate. Will certainly be returning.

2  Thank Phylis B