“Portion sizes appear to be reducing ...”
Review of The Bell Tree

The Bell Tree
Ranked #73 of 401 Restaurants in Dundee
Cuisines: European
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Eat at the Bell Tree very regularly with family and friends. We enjoy the atmosphere and the staff are great. One comment I would like to make is lately portion sizes appearing less and less eg scampi 6 average sized pieces with a handful of fries bulked out by congealed mushy peas. Didn't come away full and definitely not a man's portion. This was never ever the case previously and at nearly £8.00 not brilliant value for what I got in relation to the other meals served. Is there a new chef or are there cut backs being instructed?! Management delivered this meal to my table so must be aware?

Please stay consistent this is a great place to visit don't let us down!

In saying this, The set Xmas menu we had on 22 Dec was excellent.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

The Bell Tree is a regular haunt of ours, so much so that we book every Christmas Day and return again on Boxing Day not to mention drinks and meals in between over the course of the year. Over the past two days we have put over £600 into the business coffers but unfortunately after my experience today, I personally refuse to put another penny into the place and will NOT be back for food. A lovely Christmas lunch yesterday and back today with the family for a meal which was pre-paid for. We added another place yesterday and was given the receipt. The deal today was that my brother and sister in law would pay for the drinks. After the meal, they duly did so or so we thought ! A chance remark after dropping my sister in law off revealed that the bill was £117 and that my brother could only contribute £20 cash and my sister in law paid by the rest by card and they both were too embarrassed to say anything to us thinking that the meals had not been paid for. We returned to the Bell Tree and spoke to a member of staff who handed us an envelope with money in it as staff realised that we, as a family had been overcharged. On checking the contents however, the amount was found to be incorrect and the staff member then gave us a garbled account and produced a joint bill for two tables - ours and the one next to ours. On querying this, the staff member was abrupt and stated that since we were querying this he was going to the office to sort it out, picked up everything and walked off whilst my husband was in mid sentence ! This was both arrogant and rude on the part of the staff member. I then spoke to the manageress who said that she would sort it out. Both staff returned and the manageress then accused my husband of shouting at the staff member ( which he certainly did not) and that these things happened ! Again there was a garbled explanation about two tables being charged and the correct money returned.The meal paid for yesterday was also entered incorrectly against Boxing Day 2013 ! I am extremely disappointed that this conversation took place in front of not only other customers but also in front of good, close friends who were in having a drink. I felt that, as valued customers, that we were treated shabbily and with disrespect by both staff members.There was not an apology for the false accusation nor for the way in which we were treated, nor an apology offered to the family members for the embarrassment caused when they went to pay. As a non-drinker I was fully aware of what was going on and came away disallusioned, angry and so adamant that I will not return and will take my family elsewhere for food and for Christmas /Boxinf Day. You have lost valued custom.

8  Thank thomasjames_8
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Warm pub type restaurant. Staying next door I visited 4 times in the last week or two. The food was good and the Manager friendly and attentive although some of the other staff were the usual students trying to earn a bit of money. Overall quite pleasent

Reviewed December 22, 2012

4 of us went for a meal here the food was the best we have had so far very very busy,had a wait but well worth it,ribeye steak to die foe highly recommend this place

Reviewed November 14, 2012

Enjoyed a quick pub lunch with friends here. Staff were all friendly and helpful and served us promptly. Food was really nice, as were desserts!Dine here regularly and will be back soon!