“Signs of Improvement”

Ranked #93 of 386 Restaurants in Dundee
Cuisines: Barbecue, International, Bar
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Duke's Corner is the newest bar/restaurant and venue in the city at Brown Street, open all day from midday til late, seven days a week. Great food, drinks and coffee served all day and your late night sanctuary till 2.30am every Wed-Sun. An impressive range of international and craft beers and ales, wines and cocktails, fabulous gourmet burgers on a varied menu (including meat-free), live gigs, DJ sets and some very chilled socialising. Landscape-designed and heated outdoor seating area available, complete with fire-pit for year round use.
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Their new menu is good - notably the sweet potato fries & 'dogs'.

I was a bit sceptical of the kitchen being next to the bar now... but they smells it creates are amazing!

Tried the Bavarian Smoked Sausage.... great! Washed down nicely with a pint of Williams draft! Noticing people complaining about the price of beers... they are craft beers, they're not for downing... they're plenty of bars in town for buying cheap lager & getting wasted.. please go there & not Dukes.

We sat outside in the beer garden, but it was a bit windy - can't be helped though really.

The only thing I dislike about Dukes... taking quite a while to get served in the evenings (please move that raised bench next to the bar!) & the sound levels.... NOBODY enjoys music so loud you can't place an order, talk to your friends or not have a headache the next day!

There are newer reviews for Duke's Corner

Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Good selection of beers, but they are a bit pricey.
Food was awful. 3 friends and I ordered, and two of us received our burgers after 10 min, but it was a further 10 minutes before my two friends were brought their food. It wasnt like it was busy either. On top of that, the food was barely hot and the burgers were tasteless. Hardly worth the wait.
When a waitress asked how our meal was and I expressed disappointment she offered no apology and was just like "oh right" as if I was out of order because I didnt like the food.
Male barman was very polite and helpful but the female waitress and the female manager weren't friendly at all!
Come here for a couple of drinks if you dont mind paying twice the amount for beers than what you would pay in a shop, but at all costs avoid the food.
For the love of god, DO NOT HAVE THE FOOD!!

1  Thank Martyn K
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I have been here a few times over the last 6 months (late 2012 - mid 2013) and the latter few have been unwillingly. I have finally sworn not to go back until it sorts itself and I am being very very generous giving 3 stars. It is one of those sort of bars where people might even occasionally queue to get in, but then quickly want to leave. It is very overpriced. I mean over £7 for certain beers. 'Speciality' beers they may be, but same thing for £4 in other bars, or £2 in a shop. On one occasion my party of about 20 who had intended to stay for most of the night had one drink and then left. It's a "1-drink for a laugh" sort of place tbh, and then get out quickly. It's like being in a pub in Edinburgh by mistake, but it's not in Edinburgh - its on a busy roundabout on the outer edge of Dundee city centre. It's fairly average inside. You're not permitted to socialise in the paved area outside in the evenings. Bands occasionally play - nothing spectacular and usually a bit too loud. And you'll wait a while to get served. So I can't recommend the place and I only hope that people reading this and the management will take note. Basically drop the prices a little, make a bit of effort, that's all... I cannot say much more.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

I left a pretty critical review of Duke's Corner a couple of months ago due to a few visits here that were really disappointing.

I went again for lunch today and I'm happy to say that everything about the experience deserves 5 stars.

The food was lovely - I had the haggis burger and it was large, juicy and full of flavour. The staff were fantastic - really helpful and knowledgable when I was choosing a beer and really friendly and pleasant when taking our order. They've expanded the dining area, and the new section works really well.

Overall, this was a great meal and I'm happy to see Duke's return to its former glory!

Reviewed May 17, 2013

We ordered 2 burgers, both with chips, a pint of lager and a Coke. Came to £23. We were filled right up and enjoyed the chips but found the burgers a wee bit on the boring side. The food didn't take long to make and our meals were very hot, so this was good.

The Williams draught is good and I've had the Brew Dog Punk IPA before which was nice. I once tried their raspberry beer which was lovely but I made a point of going on pay day as it's £5.25 a pint.

I'd give the food we ordered on this occasion 7/10 but for the pub overall, 8/10 because of the selection of beer, sunny beer garden and music at nights.