“Lovely display”

Ranked #4 of 96 things to do in Dundee
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Nicely restored and well displayed exhibits and paintings. Well worth a stroll if in downtown Dundee.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Yesterday we had the thrill of seeing 10 drawings by Leonardo da Vinci at the McManus Museum in Dundee. This was a very small but truly marvelous exhibit and each drawing was worth the trip there. We also saw the exhibit of Fashion Photography - from 1900's to present. The museum itself is absolutely beautiful and we enjoy seeing the permanent collection each time we visit. We are so fortunate to live nearby this museum and every exhibit is FREE!

Reviewed September 30, 2012

We always visit the McManus for lunch when in Dundee, always great food and reasonably priced.
Had a super Veg Broth all home made as well in house. My first time here I had a Veggie Wrap, it was fantastic, a real treat not what I had expected.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

This exhibition, which is organised by the V&A, has just opened and with great coverage on BBC Scotland and good promotional material online I travelled with 3 friends to see it on its opening weekend. After an hours journey, we were extremely disappointed to see the entire exhibition was contained in one room, with a very limited amount of images. There were approximately 8 images per era and hardly any information on the time, who were the leading designers, models, icons and world events which influenced photography or fashion during each decade. One panel of text is not enough to really capture the work of such great photographers and do them or their works justice. Nor was there any information on how post war fashion and photography had such an effect on society, design and attitudes to fashion. There were no exhibition guides or leaflets and surprisingly, nothing to buy in the shop relating to the exhibition other than a poster. When we asked, we were told this was down to copyright issues. You'd think that a gallery with the influence and stature of the V&A could have got this sorted out! I'm afraid we left extremely disappointed and annoyed that we spent 2 hours travelling to see this. Unless you live in Dundee and the effort of getting there is minimal, I wouldn't bother with this. I am glad it was free as otherwise I would have been pretty hacked off. I hate to write negative reviews about exhibitions as it is down to taste and expectations, but as someone who has a lot of knowledge in both fashion and photography fields, this was extremely below expectations for a V&A production. It doesn't really say much when they will be opening such a huge museum in Dundee soon...let's hope things improve. On the plus side, the McManus itself is a great space.

1  Thank JKBennettKerr
Reviewed September 24, 2012

As a visited a friend in Dundee we went to the McManus as it's free.

It has some quite interesting rooms, like the one with Victorian style paintings and the one about jute, gaming and other local industries, but I would have liked to learn more about scottish clan wars. The "Dundee and the world" part seemed unstructured to me, but maybe I just didn't see the connection between some things that were presented next to each other.

All in all its really okay and as it is free I'd recommend visiting the McManus.