“bad restaurant”

Ranked #25 of 385 Restaurants in Dundee
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: If you want to enjoy fresh quality food in a typical Italian family-style atmosphere, Ciao Sorrento is the place for you. Ciao Sorrento prides itself on using ingredients bought daily and prepared to an extremely high, consistent standard. Consistency is the key word. The food is always the same, excellent. It never varies or drops below this proudly maintained level. It doesn't matter whether you opt for pasta, fish, chicken or steak the dish never fails to hit the high spot. You always know you're going to be served with top quality food cooked to the highest level.
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I decided to visit this restaurant after reading the reviews on trip advisor becouse the reviews seemed so positive.
We decided against going to our favourite restaurant Little italy in Saint Andrews becouse of the time half eight in the evening and we fancied trying some wher nearer as we live in Dundee.
On initial entry to the restaurant we sat at a table near the door no problem. The waitress gave us the menus and we decided to make our choice It was only when i decided to attract the staffs attention as we wanted to order a drink that i noticed the older waitress whisphering to another waitress and looking at us that i felt a little un easy but i srugged it off.
The waitress came over and took our drinks order. We later ordered a risotto and i had a pizza, the pizza was only nine inch eleven pound for a nine inch pizza but it was nice i must admit. My partner ordered the rissoto described as a shell fish dish that frankly tasted of nothing and was obviously microwaved and contained Squid and Octopuss and no shellfish, strange. May be the ressesion has hit hard and sizes of pizzas need to be reduced and shellfih prices have gone up what ever the problem iits a strange place.
complained to the older lady regarding the rissoto only to be told it was the best in Dundee and infact there was no problem so no professionalism or curtesy given with regards to the fact the customer tends to be right!
Upon asking for the bill the rissoto remained on the bill so they tried to charge for it and disregarded us as being valid as people never mind customers. It was becouse of this i decided to have a stronger word with the older lady who is oviously the owner, i suggested to her that why should we pay for something we had not eaten, she replied in a not very pleased way what do you want me to do. It seemed srange that she had to be talked into not charging us.
The result in the end was we did not pay for my parners rissoto. I will never go back a terrible restaurant bad attertude bad food bad service rubbish.

1  Thank leonard l
There are newer reviews for Ciao Sorrento

Reviewed February 1, 2013

Celebrated my wife's birthday here on a Thursday evening and the small place filled up quickly, some people even had to come back a bit later to get a table, so reserve yours in advance. The menu is not complicated, in line with expectations against Italian food. Consistently high quality throughout their range, the white sauce on the meat was a delight. We'll certainly come again to sample other dishes too. Waitresses are polite, quick and multilingual, the restaurant is very close to the city centre car park (free after 6 pm).

Reviewed January 22, 2013

I dined in this Italian restaurant on Sunday evening with my sister and friend. It's quite a small place, with dark wooden furniture, but the decor including the candles on the table give it a warm feel.
We ordered garlic bread pizza style to share, as we're trying to cut down, but couldnt resist altogether. This was delicious! My sister and I then ordered the vegetable risotto. It was probably the best veg risotto I've ever had. My friend had spaghetti carbonara and polished the whole thing off too. Delicious food, warm, cosy atmosphere and attentive service. For example, we asked for a jug of water and the waitress filled up our glasses from the jug, before leaving the rest for us. A small thing, but a nice touch.

The reason I gave 4 instead of a 5 rating, we didn't have dessert as there wasn't anything warm on the menu. If I remember correctly there was cheesecake and ice creams. Not ideal when it's literally freezing outside. Also toilet was downstairs, so not convenient for people with limited mobility.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

My partner and I ate here recently on a weekend in Dundee. We were looking for somewhere different to eat and this tiny authentic Italian really hit the spot and made our Saturday night get off to a flying start! We had eaten at Papa Joe's the night before and this place blew it out of the water in comparison.

The waiting staff were superbly attentive and very welcoming which is good as its such a small restaurant it would be easy to feel awkward, but the waitresses made us feel very welcome indeed. Very friendly!! Thanks ladies!

The food and wine we could not fault either. I had the calamari for starter which melted in my mouth, was sublimely cooked. And for main I had the spinach and ricotta cannelloni which was absolutely delicious and the garlic pizza bread side was out of this world. Because we enjoyed our starter and main so much we decided to go for desert - and the tiramisu was top notch. We cleaned our plates and could not have had a better meal.

Really worth while visiting, has definitely become our new 'place' in Dundee. We need to find somewhere in Aberdeen that can match it! Try it, you won't be disappointed!

Reviewed January 17, 2013

A friend took me for a birthday dinner here and I can't say enough great things about this place! It's very small, but that gives it a comfortable homey feel, and the candles on the tables are a nice touch. The menu was wonderful, lots of selection, I found myself struggling to choose, I wanted to try everything!
The food was fresh tasting and authentic. The portions were good as well. I got the vegetarian risotto which I would definitely recommend to anyone, the waitress was very helpful and suggested it to me.
I'll be returning for sure! The best meal out I've had in Dundee by far. It is small, so if you plan to go on a busy night it would be best to book a table.

1  Thank LaurelGattenby