“Great B&B , Friendly owners and great staff....” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dunlaw House Hotel

Dunlaw House Hotel
Ranked #20 of 32 Hotels in Dundee
Greenock
“Great B&B , Friendly owners and great staff....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I stayed here for a few weeks recently as I was in Dundee working. The room I had was not en-suite but the price was perfect so I did not mind. The room had a sink in it anyway so I could wash my face and brush my teeth any time. The room was lovely and warm, the heating is on non-stop so I hardly ever turned the radiator on. The bed was warm and comfortable, the bedding very good, the wardrobe and drawers were high quality. Unfortunately my room had a partition wall dividing it and the noise travelled very easily. Fortunately I had very considerate 'neighbours throughout my stay. The TV worked well. The bathroom was clean and sneakily I never used the electric shower as I just had a bath ! Though I did use the shower occasionally and it worked okay. The owners are an 'old fashioned' couple and have a small room next to the entrance. So if you need them they are never far away & it was comforting to know they kept an eye on who came and went. The breakfast is top-notch Scottish cooked breakfast, very nice. There is always fresh chopped fruit bowl and cereals etc and unlimited orange juice ! This is a great b&b , I can't recommend it enough.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

Me & my wife stayed at this B&B and the service was excellent. The owners treated us like family, everything was nice and very clean. Also we were not sure if more people were staying there as it was very quiet, in the morning we found out that there was a family with kids, and some other couples. Beautiful house. Will recommend to anyone.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Gear_round
Strabane, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Have stayed in this hotel on several occasions when visiting my son who is a student in Dundee and I prefer a hotel with some individuality, which the Dunlaw House has in abundance.

Rooms are not overly large but are what should be expected from an old house although they are well decorated, comfortable and have all the amenities required.

Breakfast has always been excellent and an ideal start to the day.

The hotel is on a steep hill and slightly out of the way but this makes for an extremely quiet night with no passing traffic.

Would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

They had availability for me at short notice, which I very much appreciated as I was traveling for a conference and didn't have time during the day to find another place. My room was a single on the ground floor, and although it was tight quarters, I have never slept in a more comfortable bed in my life! The room had a tv, wardrobe and wash basin, as well as tea/coffee facilities. There was a toilet on the ground floor down the hall, and a shared shower/bath on the first floor landing, both of which were clean. Breakfast didn't start being served until 8, which was a little later than I would have preferred, as I had to catch a bus to St Andrew's for my conference, but the food was good and the hostess was very friendly and helpful throughout my stay. I would NOT recommend walking here from the city centre/train station/bus depot, as it is all up a very steep hill and quite a way. Once there, though, the view was nice and the garden would have been lovely had it not been typical Scottish weather.

Room Tip: The single Monchan Suite on the ground floor has the best bed I've ever slept on.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank ahvphd
Dundee, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2010

Booked for one night. On arrival I asked if I could have breakfast at 7.45 or a sandwich as they dont serve breakfast until 8am, this was agreed but in the morning I arrived for breakfast at 7.40am but there was no-one there, there were cereals etc, but no milk.
I waited but decided to go at 7.55 without breakfast.
Slept with my clothes on all night as there was no heating and it was the end of October in Scotland!
Never again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank rosedonald
BoboDundee_Scotland, Owner at Dunlaw House Hotel, responded to this review, January 27, 2011
Have just noticed this review and would like to respond to it as follows
We note that it was written by a "Rose"Donald - well it was in fact a male that stayed that night
We would point out that he could not find staff as they were in fact trying to relight the boiler as they found the heating to be off (later found it was the "Solanoid" that was at fault)
However, we would also like to point out that it was a "Gentleman" and not a lady who occupied the twin room that night and HE had the facilities of two duvets and two extra blankets at his disposal to keep warm and should not have needed to sleep in his clothes
We do regret that it was unfortunate that he did not experience our excellent Scottish .Breakfasts To finalise, we would like it noted by Trip Advisor that said "gentleman" in fact gave us the wrong numbers for his credit card and payment was not made for this stay !!
We should therefore be grateful if you could consider removing this bad report
Hamilton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2009

We went for the spet weekend, we hadnt booked in advance as we thought we would just go a drive and stay where we ended up. We struggled to find anywhere for a sat night and started to regret. We looked up on the sat nav and seen Dunlaws we rang and they had avalibility. As we were arriving we couldnt figure out how to get into the street as its all oneway and both ends were no entry so we parked out on the hill and walked round the owner answered the door, lovely fella and showed us to our HUGE room. We were so excited. We were allowed to park on the yellow lines just outside it. We settled in and were so amazed at the size. We had a queen size bed, en suite with bath and seperate shower. The decor is old fashioned, floral curtains and carpet but suited the old victorian house and was so cute. We are a young couple but just loved it. Breakfast was amazing with fantastic choice of cereals, cooked breakfasts. And on request will make dinner. There is a bar there as well it all over looks the garden whihc they have awards and tropheys. It is in a quiet street far away from town centre but perfect for a quiet wknd away.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank potaruru
glasgow
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2008

Oh dear. I didn't have a pleaant stay here at all and wouldn't reccommend it. Perhaps some rooms are quite pleasant, but I was in a single attic room with a very lumpy bed, depresing lifeless decor, and the only source of heat a rather smelly old electric heater. I spent a cold, uncomfortable night here. It feels like the owners haven't put much love into the place.

But the breakfast was not bad, and the garden pretty.

• Liked — the garden
  • Disliked — the room
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
      Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)