The Famous Star Hotel
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
Townhead Hotel(Lockerbie)
Great 4.5/5
All reviewsnarrowest hotelvenison pieguiness bookquirky hotelhome madestayed in the family roomhome cookedtender meaton displaypiping hotfriendly hotelwill stay there againon specbath and showerbar areatwin rooma great nights sleep
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 21, 2013

First of all we did not stay here.
Popped in for an evening meal on a recent Saturday; had to come back later as it was so busy.
Very helpful and friendly staff, a choice of two real ales and a good food menu. Good plate of fish. A large pie with (soft) veg, and chips that I would have personally preferred cooked longer .
Would have no hesitation in popping in again for food if passing.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BubsandCo
Reviewed September 13, 2013

As we were stopping nearby at Auchen Castle, the groom's mum's birthday happened to be the day before the wedding. A meal was booked here for around 30 people inc children for the night before the wedding. We had to pre book meals a few days before as it was such a large group.

Starters were ordered but the hotel gave no thought to all the hungry children sitting there watching adults eat. We tried to share ours with our son as best as we could. he's only 20 months old so not a great eater yet with hardly any teeth.

The food was average, at best. As at a lot of places, all childrens meals consist of chips with some other fried thing. Our son doesn't each chips, and so it was a wasted meal really but we had to order him something. No adult meals came with potato so it wasn't like I could order that and give him mine. he ended up eating all the peas off 3 people's meal that were very kindly donated.

I ordered the lasagne. It didn't taste home made, if it was meant to be, and I've had better. My husband had the surf and turf. he said he enjoyed his.

Drinks are VERY expensive. My husband had the local ale, and the bill at the end of the meal showed it was just under £5 a pint!

They'd given no thought to needing high chairs. We had to ask for 1 and wait ages for it to arrive.

It was advertised as the famous Star Hotel. I can't recommend anything for it to be famous for...

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank HolBunny
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I turned up here "on spec" at 6pm looking for a room after cycling from Largs. Thankfully they had one. The bar was a friendly place with good beer (Greene King) which was most welcome. Room was fine for the price - very clean and a comfortable bed, en suite with good shower. Only cause for complaint was the lack of soundproofing between rooms, and slightly noisy plumbing.
Had my dinner in the bar and the portion was very generous. Steak pie was first class but the chips were of the ready made type and not very good. Breakfast in the morning was again very generous with all the ingredients you could want, including haggis. I didn't need any lunch after that! All staff were very friendly, and cyclists take note: you can leave your bike in the front hall inside the front door so quite secure (covered by camera too).

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Brandane62
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Very friendly, well run hotel. Room was good. Breakfasts were very good. We didn't reserve a table for dinner and couldn't get in - so if you want to eat I suggest reserving a table to be on the safe side as there are not many other options in town. Pleasant bars in which to enjoy a drink with a broad range of beers and whiskies.

Room Tip: No lift and no ground fllor rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mike M
Reviewed August 14, 2013

we have just stayed at the star hotel our first stay but will not be our last...we have eaten here many times before but on our 4 night stay ate here every night....the pies are full of tender meat the venison pie is one not to be missed....the steaks are big and succulent.....the helpings are a little large for me but my partner said perfect....you will not leave hungry that's for sure.....the rooms are tastefully done fantastic fluffy soft duvet soft white towels too..but for me the staff are perfect unlike a previous reviewer good as anywhere we have stayed and we travel quite a lot....all staff welcome you from bar staff to housekeeping staff well done to you all but for me one member is a STAR befitting the name of the hotel he is called Rory a good front of house man attentive to everyones needs a big smile and a great sense of humour....well done the star we had a great stay ...we will be back soon.

Room Tip: the front family room is huge and just a few pounds more than the double with good views of moffat high st.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple