Beechwood Country House
$111
$108
Great 4.5/5
Best Western Moffat House Hotel(Moffat)(Great Value!)
$64
$58
Very Good 4/5
$105
Balmoral Hotel(Moffat)(Great Value!)
$91
Hotels.com
Great 4.5/5
Days Inn Lockerbie Annandale Water(Lockerbie)(Great Value!)
$57
$107
Queens Hotel(Lockerbie)
$83
Good 3.5/5
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 1, 2003

I am the sister referred to in the email from theguest from Bristol. I had been looking forward to my stay for some time as my mother had alwayshad rave reviews of this hotel (when the prior owners were in residence).At 7:15pm after checking in my mother and I informed the manager my brother would be late due to traffic delays but should arrive within the hour. We were (in front of other guests) told in an extremely demeaning manner that some rules hadbeen violated as he would have liked to have beenadvised of this 15 minutes prior. I was duly admonished and quite frankly embarrassed.On checking out the next morning I was talking to the owner who asked where I lived in the States. I told him Iowa and was advised that he hates Americans, thinks they are stupid and WHY wouldI want to live there. No - I am not exaggerating andthroughout I was polite and cordial.The hotel is beautifully furnished, the food is excellent and on a superficial level it is an delightful place to stay.However if you are looking for a cordial, polite andtrue hotelier who treats his/her guests as they would like to be treated I would suggest you lookelsewhere.

8  Thank Britgirl59
Reviewed September 21, 2003

Every year my mother and other members of the family have used this establishment which has always provided excellent accommodation and fare. My mother and sister travelled south after a week in Deeside, and I travelled north prior to my break at the same location. I was initially slightly delayed due to horrendous traffic (arrived at 7.30), and learnt that the owner had passed acerbic comments as he had an (unwritten) rule that 'late' arrivals need to let him know before 7.00pm when last orders for the evening meal are 8.30pm! When I arrived a further comment was made directly to me for which I tried to explain the traffic problems, but this didn't seem to have an effect. I had booked a double room, but my partner could not make it for reasons I need not explain here, so I commented that I was willing to pay for the extra cost of the room. However, during the evening, I felt most unwelcome by our 'hosts', and was looking forward to the following morning when I would be leaving. Having eaten an excellent breakfast, I was presented with the bill which included the costs for TWO evening meals and TWO breakfasts - I know I'm not that small, but this was the limit. As my mother was there at the time, and to save embarrasment, I bit my tongue and paid up. It transpires that other members of the family were looking to stay (my sister-in-law and her two sons, aged 8 and 11) a few months previously, and when she rang to book, mentioned she would like to eat around 7pm as the boys would need to go to bed early. She was informed that the boys could not eat other than at 5-6pm, so my sister-in-law said that would be ok, as she wouldn't mind eating a little early. No, she was informed, she could not eat with her children as the 5-6pm time was reserved for children alone, and the later time was for adults only!! Suffice to say that my sister-in-law decided not to stay. If I had known of this episode beforehand I may have come to the same conclusion, but I should say that all members of our family (and friends) will not be frequenting this establishment in the future.

9  Thank Smiffy_CJ
A TripAdvisor Member
Walton-on-Thames, Surrey
Reviewed April 4, 2003

Wonderful hospitality, outstanding food, relaxing sitting rooms, excellent views, comfortable orthopedic beds, immaculately clean : sheer luxury

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Scotland
Reviewed September 27, 2002

The atmosphere and delights of a Highland hotel with the attentiveness and quality of food one expects in a good Edinburgh hotel.

Eating in is a must - both for the splendid food and the pleasure of the experience.

Soft Egyptian cotton robes and crisp white bed linen in carefully furnished rooms with a range of touches engineered to enhance your stay.

I am planning my next trip!

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member