First off, let me say that the worst thing about our two-day stay here was the 6am arrival of some guy delivering wedding brochures for the Sunday Fayre. He woke us up on the Saturday morning with his shouting and we never got back to sleep as delivery after delivery on the gravel drive just jolted us back out of our snooze! Staff were generally very friendly and the hotel is a near- perfect base to explore Dumfries and Galloway's rich and varied attractions.
One thing to note if meat is not your thing: probably best to assure yourself that the main course is a little more that a carved-out pepper stuffed with courgette and aubergines before booking dinner. Whereas our meat-eating relative got some lovely looking scallops on an imaginative plate, we felt a bit let down with the veggie option. The starters were ok though with an above-average Goat's cheese tartlette (where would hotel chefs and their token veggie options be without goat's cheese!) or Figs with Dunsyre Blue Cheese. We had a decent vegetarian breakfast which included perfect fried eggs, beans, mushrooms and nice tattie scones. The toast was yummy and there was a decent selection of cereals and juices.
One more warning: rooms to avoid are the pokey room 9, which our elderly relative had as it was on the ground floor, but it was little bigger than a cupboard and he upgraded to the much bigger room next door for an extra £20. This prevented him from banging in to the wall when he turned over in bed and gave him a bit more space to store his walking sticks! Also, room 1 on the first floor seemed to suffer from plumbimg blues and the waterworks kept the usually heavy sleeping mater-in-law awake for most of the first night.
With a few tweaks, this place could be the perfect base for a visit to the Borders!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The BEST WESTERN Moffat House Hotel is an elegant mansion transformed into a stylish and comfortable retreat for family and friends, set in the charming Victorian spa town of Moffat. Built for The Earl of Hopetoun in the 1750s, it has been carefully maintained and modernised to retain all of it's elegance. Proprietors The Lawson family, along with their friendly staff, offer you a very warm welcome. Only 45 minutes from Glasgow, over 1 hour from Edinburgh and 15 minutes' drive from historic Gretna, The Moffat House Hotel is the ideal retreat to help you make the most of your time in the area. Set within private grounds, this stunning Victorian style hotel combines traditional elegance, comfort and a warm welcome. Keep connected from the comfort of your guest room with WiFi. Your room uniquely reflects the character of this traditional building without compromising on modern amenities. Check in to a Deluxe Four Poster guestroom and enjoy extra space, and beautiful views of the Scottish countryside. You can expect a heartfelt welcome, superb facilities. We have beautiful rooms equipped with everything you need for a relaxing break, so make our hotel your home and relax, have fun with or without the kids and enjoy very special grown-up time for yourselves. We are sure it will be a stay to remember. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity and HostelWorld so you can book your BEST WESTERN Moffat House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Moffat Hotel
- Moffat Best Western
- BEST WESTERN Moffat House Hotel Scotland