“The most wonderful cottage which we did not want to leave!”

Best Western Moffat House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Moffat
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“The most wonderful cottage which we did not want to leave!”
Reviewed April 25, 2014

My family(2 boys) and me and my husband came up to Moffat to visit my Uncle Patrick who lives near Lockerbie. I had stayed before in the hotel with my late Dad and we had thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. This time we were booked into the cottage for our stay. Blimey talk about Wonderful, we all wanted to move into it and live there forever. I was only sorry we were there for such a short time but we will definatley try to book it again for a longer time. The bedrooms and bathrooms so clean and comfortable. A lovely conservatory lounge off the main bedroom with Sky TV; how delighted were 2 boys to see that. Even a garage next to it with a table tennis table. They still talk about it. After a long journey from the South of England they could not have been happier. Please dont be put off by my late review as we stayed last August but I am just catching up with feedback!! No excuse just busy juggling work/home life.
We also ate in the hotel an evening meal and breakfast and both were scrumptious. If you do not say here then you will be missing out!

Room Tip: The cottage but not when I want to come back it's mine!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank julie S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

We popped in on Sunday for lunch. The staff were lovely, helpful and attentive without being overbearing. The food was absolutely delicious, the meat requires no chewing and there was a good selection of side dishes and sauces. The gravy is even gluten free!! The children's meals were clearly fresh cooked, you really can't beat home made chips!! If you like your whisky there is a brilliant collection of Malts.
The hotel appeared very clean and we were very impressed at what we saw. Will definitely be booking our wedding there!

Stayed April 2014
edinburgh
Reviewed April 18, 2014

We stopped here today for lunch with our spaniel. Before we went in, my wife asked at reception whether dogs were welcome. She was courteously shown the areas which were dog friendly and being a sunny day we decided to dine alfresco in the ample beer garden. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Our meals arrived quickly and were delicious and fairly priced. I would have no hesitation in returning.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

We spent one night here on our way to Scotland, the staff were brilliant, especially a young dark haired lady whose name I didn't get.she was very helpful and attentive.the food was beautiful and quick to arrive. The room was very nice and very clean, the only downside was the bed which wasn't very comfortable so we didn't sleep very well.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Me and my partner visited the area looking at different venues to hold our wedding. We stayed at Moffat House and we where extremely disappointed.
Firstly the welcome we received was poor. The food took a very long time to reach our table. It was presented poorly and was tasteless. The room wasn't great really either. The bathroom had mould on the walls and the bed was uncomfortable. It won't be a surprise to here that we decided against booking out wedding there!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Kimsimbin
Shropshire
Reviewed April 5, 2014

Stayed one night in this 'Narnia' affect hotel, on the street side, a beautiful large courtyard with plenty of room to park but then when you go through to the back of the hotel you are overlooking a beautiful country park, which was totally unexpected. Very comfortable large bed but a rather tired and not so clean bathroom, why of why do hotels allow mould to grow in their bathrooms! Very quiet room overlooking courtyard, with proper windows that actually opened. Food OK, staff OK, rather horrible modern bar/ lounge with no atmosphere but dining room nice (overlooked country park/garden) reception area pretty non de script. Good for stay en route or back from Highlands.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Scarborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 1, 2014

I booked here for 42 guests on Friday 28th March 2014, it was a pre Wedding meal as we got married at Auchen castle the next day. I had to pre order the majority of the food, which I did via email a week or so in advance. The menu was quite disappointing to start with, but being a best western and not knowing any where else in the area I thought we would be safe. I paid a £50 deposit to have a function room where we could all be together. The outside of the hotel is very pretty so I was pleased when we arrived. We bought drinks, (very expensive for wine) and went through. The starters came out in a very unorganised fashion, My starter was then cleared away before I had finished whilst I was helping my daughter with her food. The mains came out, again in the unorganised fashion in which the first course did, and this time one of the meals did not come, the guest complained and it was blamed on my email. Another guest was told his pizza had burnt but they would cook him another if he wanted..... Yes of course he wanted it! It came out when everyone else had finished.... great. The guest who's food had not been delivered was given steak and dumplings..... Then came the puddings..... sticky toffee pudding that was frozen in the middle.... I complained and the guests were offered replacements, no one re ordered. Then came the bill, everyone was told to go to the bar, state what they had and pay accordingly. The guest who's main did not come out complained and was given the reduction in the different cost of the main she had ordered to the one she received. The fault was laid at my door due to the pre order, which I later checked and was proven that it was the hotels fault. Then on leaving I was told that 4 people had not paid for their food, a cost of £50, I paid this due to the fact that I was getting married the next day and wanted to go home and thought I would sort it out later. I spoke to all my guests who assured me they had paid and the piece of paper that was being scribbled on by the bar staff was neither use nor ornament. Unfortunatly we had booked here for Mothers Day lunch aswell, and had again pre ordered so I did not cancel as I knew we would struggle to find anywhere else for 11 people at such short notice. We went and I was offered a free glass of wine as a sweetener for the food mix up on the Friday. Again the service was slow and unorganised. The food was ok but my beef was overpowered by the pepper used in the cooking. I had also booked for Monday lunch, but luckily cancelled this and went to another restaurant in Moffat and it was much better. The hotel is pretty, the inside is nice, a little shabby in places, the food was disappointing and the service was not great. They are understaffed and none too helpful if there is a problem. I would not go there again and neither would any of my guests.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank bexw1980
PaulLawson, Manager at Best Western Moffat House Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
The main reason this review staggers belief is because of the expression of sheer delight you displayed at the hotel during and after your meals. So what has happened between then and now? Well experience tells us there could be some outside influences at play and given the fact you were married at another venue you don't need a Mensa membership to work out who that could be!! Every 'criticism' in your review can be justifiably defended but for the sake of anyone reading I won't get into too much detail as your monologue already threatens to rival 'Nytol' for yawn inducing capabilities. In a nutshell it was you who chose the menu, the staff did their best to serve it under very difficult circumstances with 15 young children running around their feet. Even so the meal went smoothly and service was of a good standard. You insisted on paying separately instead of just splitting the bill as we suggested, all of the guests gave great feedback when settling their individual accounts. Yes there were some guests who did not pay - one of them was your new husband (congratulations by the way!) and the rest were pointed out to you. You acknowledged this and said 'no problem' and paid it in full. I'm sorry if you feel that we should have allowed the people who forgot to pay to dine for free but as a business it is not practical to operate this way. The cost of the wine is reasonable and only a fraction of what you would have paid at your Wedding venue! I could go on but for the benefit of Trip Advisor users will conclude with an apology to you readers for the bluntness of this response. Whilst we welcome feedback and take all criticisms onboard as we strive to maintain high standards we also have to defend ourselves from suspicious reviews that paint an unfair picture and exaggerate or lie to do so.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moffat
Buccleuch Arms Hotel
Trigony House Hotel
Trigony House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Closeburn
Hartfell House & The Limetree Restaurant

Been to Best Western Moffat House Hotel? Share your experiences!