“Brilliant and staff all friendly”

Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Gretna Green
Reviewed January 24, 2011

WE booked our wedding reception at the Smiths on the 28th December 2010. From syart to finish the staff were nothing but friendly and very helpful. They went out of their way to do any of your requests. They were well organised and the reception went smoothly and we had a brilliant time. The food was gorgeous and all my guest said so and made comments n how nice it was.The wedding planners are amazing and i would like to say a massive thank you to all of them and the hotel staff and management.
The hotel is beautiful and clean and has amazing views.
The bar area is lovely with large sofas and a fire. Very modern and well presented.
The breakfast was really nice and a good selection.
I really can not fault this hotel at all or any of the staff.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2011

Wow, what a fantastic review, thank you. I am delighted that your wedding went so well and that you enjoyed the hotel and services so much - What a very busy Chritmas and New Year you must have had!!. The staff will be thrilled that you took the time to comment on their efforts and i will ensure that your review is shared. Thanks again, please do come back soon. Best Regards as always. Darren

There are newer reviews for Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel

Reviewed January 24, 2011

As soon as I walked into this hotel I fell in love with it. My fiance and I stayed for one night so we could familiarise ourselves with gretna/gretna green in preparation for booking our wedding. We visited many of the hotels in the area including The Gables (rated number 1 with trip advisor) and can honestly say we weren't overly impressed.. I can confidently say that The Smiths Hotel is the best hotel by far in the area. The staff were lovely, food was excellent and the deluxe double room was spotless and very spacious. Breakfast was delicious and very plentiful, buffet style breakfasts are by far the best. The bar area has huge comfy couches which are nicely spaced out for privacy. After spending the day out and about in the area, my fiance and I had no hesitations in booking our wedding package with Smiths. We are very much looking forward to our wedding in May as we know Smiths will make it a day to remember.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you Loopy 14, great comments. Really glad you enjoyed the hotel and have chosen to book with us in the Spring. I will, as always share your comments with all the staff and we look forward to seeing you in May for the big day. Best regards. Darren

Reviewed January 19, 2011

Having read reviews on this four star hotel we decided to book for two nights and the rate for B & B was very reasonable at 50 pounds per night. On checking the web site it would appear the rooms have a walk in shower which suited our needs, We called the hotel and this was confirmed, We duly booked for two nights and on arrival the staff were very nice and we were given our room.
The room did not have a walk in shower and the cleanliness of the room was not what we expected. There was Stoor everywhere and peanuts on the floor from the previous occupant or indeed maybe earlier than that. The information booklets within the room were stuck together due to something being spilt on them. We were given another room. In this room the beds mattress had seen better days as it was sagging in the middle and very uncomfortable.

We approached the staff who stated they could not help us. The duty manager made reference that although she agreed the description of the rooms indicated a walk in shower she sympathised with us but could offer nothing else and the only disabled room was booked. She made reference that we were only paying 50 pounds for a room. We were taken aback at this comment as the normal rack room rate is normally well over 100 pounds, I took it from that comment we were entitled to have a dirty room. I asked to speak to the owner Mr Houston but got the Operations Manager Mr Douglas who said the only option was to use the Penthouse Suite walk in shower even although the penthouse was out of commission. We had no alternative but to take up his offer even although it was not convenient. The lighting in the room was not very good.

We were offered a complimentary bottle of wine with our evening meal but on stating we had made other arrangements for dining, that offer was withdrawn.
The breakfast was buffet style and was very disappointing certainly not four star quality', my wife was wise when she asked for poached eggs. The menu was very limited to what you could have. The only highlight of our breakfast experience was the Polish girl who served us . She was extremely nice and very helpful and attentive. She was a credit to your hotel.

We decided just to stay one night and cut our holiday short. We also noted the hotels website had been ammended the next stating showers were sited over a bath. I rest my case.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cab23
Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2011

It is extremely frustrating when we have comments such as this posted which clearly do not correlate with either our product nor service, or in any way accurately reflect our hotel. I am sure that the intelligence of those whom research their chosen hotel destinations and wedding venues will acurately identify the high calibre of service we offer in an environment of style, quality and friendliness as honestly (mostly) fed back through Tripadvisor. Best regards. Darren

Reviewed January 5, 2011

We had lunch at Smiths for our new year family get together that had to be postponed due to the weather. All 11 of us over three gnerations (ages 93 to 13) agreed the food was excellent. Service was super. And Smiths let us linger after the meal in a lovely side room to the restaurant. For me the highlight was the pigeon breast starter. Fabulous. All dishes had high ratings (they say all their produce is locally sourced where possible, enhanced and brought to an artful table presentaion by the chefs). Thanks for a memorable day.

Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2011

What a fantastic review to read, thank you. Chef will be delighted with your comments. I am so pleased that such an important family gathering went so well for you. Please do come back soon. Best regards , Darren

Reviewed December 30, 2010

We stayed last year for one night in order to attend a wedding. We booked well in advance and were told we got the last available room. We were given a double room with a small foldaway bed for our son. At the time we asked could we check in early and were told that wouldnt be a problem, but to ring on the day to confirm.
On the way there we phoned up and were assured that the early check in was on the system and they room would be ready for our arrival.
However, when we arrived they had no record of any early check in and no record of any call we had made. We were then told we would have to wait about an hour for our room.
This was not really an option, so they eventually moved us to a different room that was ready. I dont know why they didnt do that straight away.
The room itself was nice, but we have to agree with other comments that the lighting in the bathroom was very poor.
The hotel is nice and in a great location.The wedding went very well.
When we were leaving they tried to charge us an increased price.They said the original price did not include the child being in the room. I said that when we booked we were told it did and they said there is no way that would have happened. Fortunately I had the confirmation letter they sent us in the car so I was able to show them quite clearly that the price was indeed for the three of us. They honoured the price, with little in the way on an apology and we left.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Smiths-GG, Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments, we really do take them very seriously. I am disappointed and sorry that you had a couple of negative comments. We try our utmost to make available bedrooms for check in as early as possible, being heavy on weddings almost everyone wants to get into the room immediately on arrival, which I understand. Unfortunately, not everyone wants to check out equally as early, allowing for the room to be serviced. Apologies if there was any mis-communication in relation to the early check, we are usually extremely clear that early check in cannot be guaranteed, to avoid situations such as described. Thank you again for the post, I will ensure that my team are fully aware of you comments. Best regards, Darren

Reviewed December 24, 2010

We were married in Gretna Green and returned to renew our vows on our 10th Wedding Anniversary on 21 December. We have stayed at a more than 3 hotels in Gretna but had never stayed at Smiths before. We were really pleased with the hotel. It could compete with any hotel in any city.The room was lovely and we were really disappointed that we were only there for one night.
We booked a meal at the hotel and when we decided we wanted to eat earlier they were able to accommodate us.The food was delicious.
We only stayed in a standard room but it was lovely. Bed was comfy.
My only criticism (but to be honest this goes for every hotel I've ever stayed in) is the room lighting. I generally find it is too subdued when getting ready or the lights are in the wrong place. Having said that we would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone and we would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Smiths-GG, Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2010

Thank you for your kind feedback, much appreciated. Congratulations also on the 10 years of marriage. I look forward to your return in the near future. Best regards. Darren

Reviewed December 21, 2010

I was fortunate enough to stay for one evening in the Thistle suite, which is by far the most comfortable place i've ever stayed. The minor details made such a difference, such as the fire havng been lit to warm up the room before our arrival, the complimentary gifts and the soft uplighting. We had dinner in the restaurant and each of our meals was perfect. Am very much looking forward to my next visit.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Smiths-GG, Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2010

Great review, thank you. I have to say that the Thistle is indeed a favourite amongst many of our regular guests. Perhaps you may like to stay in our Penthouse on your next visit. We are actually refurbishing it during January and it will look spectacular when completed. Thanks again for your comments and I look forward to your quick return. Regards. Darren

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gretna Green
The Gretna Chase Hotel
Hunters Lodge Hotel
Hunters Lodge Hotel
#4 of 5 in Gretna

Been to Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel? Share your experiences!